The Official Varese Sarabande Thread

Charlie Brigden

15 hours ago, Jay said:

4M2    Carmen's Shuttle Ride

Ooh, my favourite ST cue has an alternate?

9 hours ago, Jaaaackified said:

632x632bb.webp

Nice release, but I thought the OST cover was the ugliest art this title could get. Guess not.

On 17/11/2022 at 12:56 PM, Jim Ware said:

Mimic is a straight reissue if that track listing is correct.

Available to order on the website: https://varesesarabande.com/products/marco-beltrami-mimic-the-deluxe-edition-cd

It says:

Mimic was last available within Varèse Sarabande’s 2016 12CD set, Little Box of Horrors. For this new release, the 34-track Deluxe Edition has been newly assembled and remastered from first-generation sources, and the score packaged with new cover art and liner notes by Randall D. Larson.

Interesting that that’s what they’d choose to do rather than complete the film program.  Expanded or not, it’s not a score I feel particularly interested in digging into beyond the previous DE from the Horror Box.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What happened to Varese's international store?

The warehouse they were using closed down or something like that. They had to shut immediately. Whether it will ever be back, nobody knows. 

Karol

Yeah company behind the warehousing went bust.

But I'm ultimately not sure it made a huge difference. While there were some shipping cost savings of a few $$s, the prices were definitely higher than a straightforward currency conversion, and because releases dropped at 5pm UK time, no shipping realistically happened until three days later for new releases.

• 4 weeks later...

Just as it popped into my head today that the next batch was probably coming soon, someone at FSM has spotted that Presto music has spoilt one from their next batch - Badelt's The Time Machine. Apparently out next Friday.

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=150502&forumID=1&archive=0

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9446514--the-time-machine

Not just "apparently", the Presto page specifically says the release date is Friday, February 24th.

So we'll probably get the announcement Monday and clue images on Wednesday - hopefully for 2 titles and not just Time Machine

For those less familiar, the album is already extremely good and has all of the highlights. We're getting probably an extra 10-15 mins or so, with the last track being an album suite, I think.

Still, it's one of my favourites and I'll be very happy to toss the boot.

30 minutes ago, Jay said:

So we'll probably get the announcement Monday and clues on Wednesday - hopefully for 2 titles and not just Time Machine

Might be another case like the Silvestri twofer batch where only one title gets a digital release in addition to the CD. No doubt due to whatever Varese's original perpetuity licensing agreements were.

Yavar

someone on the FSM board says James Newton Howard's Peter Pan is also getting the Deluxe Edition treatment. Until I hear this from a source other than Trust Me, Bro I'm taking this with with ye olde pinche of salte.

2 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Yeah, the action music isn't going to win over people who aren't that RCP-friendly.

I like it mostly for the beautiful time travel and Eloi material.

Funnily enough I dug the album out the other day and very much enjoyed it. I also gave the boot a listen and don’t recall finding the extra music massively interesting. Having said that, I’ll almost certainly get this anyway.

I bet all those serious classical types on Presto will be quite surprised to see that Klaus Badelt now counts as classical… I didn’t realise they were stocking Varese‘s digital releases, but have to see if they’ve got any of the others. Then again, it’s as expensive as 7digital (which again makes it astonishing just how inexpensive Presto’s classical range is). 

Looks like it's just the one this time. It's going to be the least exciting clue game of all time... I wonder if they've actually realised we know what it is.

Others on FSM seem to think the Peter Pan thing was referring just to the OST coming back into print. That would make more sense given that JNH gave away copies of that album, which would be a bit weird if a better version were just around the corner.

https://www.facebook.com/varesesarabanderecords/posts/pfbid02DgXQ47aV5AYSjeFjo8ncP7QSEEY5339ZkptYtNR5BUTNwNEyLDymdxsnwQhWW8dWl

332696885_4002069036715531_5741040613527

On 15/02/2023 at 8:21 PM, Richard Penna said:

Another FSM thread mentioned a post on his Facebook page mentioning a 're-release'. Fourth post down: https://www.facebook.com/JamesNewtonHowardOfficial/ (sorry couldn't figure out how to link)

That was referring to the album returning to streaming...

Yep, I clarified that above. He also FB'd about Signs returning to streaming.

I had wondered for a brief period whether JNH was deciding to expand his Disney scores, given Intrada mentioned him, but evidently not.

As for this release, due to the colour clue I'd probably be guessing 13th Warrior right now if Presto hadn't spoiled it.

Yeah without the announcement being spoiled by Presto, this would have been a brilliant stumper of a clue.

35 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

An A.I. generated image based on related prompts is our latest cue....

I can sort of see where it's going (machine, olden times) but I'm not sure we'd have gotten it based just on this.

332721506_698783345326644_35450084581417

No no, you’re missing the obvious (as I did, at first.) Who wrote The Time Machine?

Yavar

And it's up! Unfortunately it seems to be missing alternates and etc, but I guess it would have pushed it to 2 CDs. Still going to get it though.

https://varesesarabande.com/collections/cd-club-and-limited-editions/products/the-time-machine-the-deluxe-edition-cd

5 minutes ago, scallenger said:

Unfortunately it seems to be missing alternates and etc, but I guess it would have pushed it to 2 CDs.

Oh no, the horror!

Wait, not even any samples?

Yeah, doesn’t seem to be Varese’s preference if the complete score as heard in the film can fit on a single disc. Maybe if it were a Goldsmith score, but otherwise… see the DE of The Iron Giant.

Maybe Varese doesn’t feel the need to figure out samples for releases that come out simultaneously on Spotify?

Yavar

Just a FYI for those who like me like the highest resolution artwork possible - Varese's site links to a 1800px copy but their shopping software is hosting 3000px covers for most of their recent releases. (including Presumed Innocent)

I find them by googling 'varese deluxe <score name>' and selecting 'View Image' on the default Varese result.

Here's the one for The Time Machine:

timemachine.jpg

• 3 months later...

There was discussion on their or some other facebook page where Varese said the Flood gates are about to open or something.... a few days back! -I will have to  find that link..

I suspect a new Club batch is forthcoming amongts other releases!