14 Bad Dream (2:15)
15 Lost In The Kitchen (1:13)
16 Finding Mink (3:01)
17 You Shot You (1:45)
18 Sunrise (2:42)
19 Wrap Up (0:55)
20 Nebulous Mass (2:32)
21 The Cloud Is Coming (4:01)

https://music.apple.com/nz/album/white-noise-soundtrack-from-the-netflix-film/1652315684

I haven't shut up about it in the general Elfman thread but might as well post here for posterity:

Everything I've heard from this score sounds amazing and like the best Elfman score in over a decade and I cannot wait to hear the full thing.

I’m very excited. I’m reading Gravity’s Rainbow but after that I am going to burn through White Noise so I can see this movie and hear the score in context. I would just watch it anyway but I’ve had that Don DeLillo book on my list for a while now and I refuse to lose out on reading the book first.

I’d rather watch any movie than read any more DeLillo in my life.  Not sure if we’ll watch this one or not.  The Elfman score is the main selling point for me.

No problem with some good existential dread here though.  One of my favorite sleeper movies of last year was Silent Night, an extremely grim existential Christmas movie.

Listening to this now. What an anti-climax! I had built up all these expectations about a largely electronic score in the vein of Tangerine Dream, based on Baumbach's own words. Something a la Elfman's old WISDOM or the wonderful THE CIRCLE. There are certainly electronics here, but more as colouring, and most of it is rather non-descript and all-over-the-place. Maybe I'll appreciate it more once I get over the disappointment of idiom.

"Sunrise" is a glorious cue, my early favorite.  Really digging this OST after one listen.  It's a little scattershot, but brimming over with cool ideas.  I'll listen again in the afternoon.

8 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

"Sunrise" is a glorious cue, my early favorite.  Really digging this OST after one listen.  It's a little scattershot, but brimming over with cool ideas.

My thoughts exactly. But because it's a nice tight 45 minutes means it won't ever be a problem.

Karol

Gave this a spin now, and boy do I miss this Elfman. It's effectively proof that he's been seriously handicapped by the strict guidelines modern blockbusters can have, as it just oozes so much personality throughout. Sure, it's a little hard to pick up on the thematic core with the amount of stuff it throws at you, but quite frankly I'd rather that than a score that sort of wastes decent themes (which is how I perceive Dr. Strange 2 currently).

Current favorite track is Trash, because man does it have that propulsive and detailed energy I liked from the late 90s to early 2000s.

I will say that I think I preferred the live performance of the section from Duel Lecture, as the choir drowns a bit too much out of the string work here. Makes it lose a bit of that classic Elfman touch, even if it's absolutely still present for it.

Finally listening to the score album

I was not expecting what I'm hearing.  I'm up to "Up There", and it sounds like it could have fit into Mars Attacks!

I finished the album.  It's pretty good.

Is it anything special compared to Elfman's own entire fimography? No, not really.

But compared against the new scores we are getting in 2022, I'd say it's one of the better ones!

6 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

And compared against Elfman’s own scores of the past 10+ years.

If you say 10 years, there have been some good things that I like far more than WHITE NOISE: THE CIRCLE (2017), THE UNKNOWN KNOWN (2014) and PROMISED LAND (2012). But I have issues with most of the other scores in that period.

On 17/11/2022 at 2:20 PM, Disco Stu said:

I will definitely not be seeing the movie, despite being mostly a fan of Baumbach.  Existential dread is just not a subject I particularly care to watch a whole movie about.

I dunno anything about the book its based on, but FWIW a new trailer came out the other day, and based on the trailer: This film is a comedy.

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, ddddeeee said:

Interesting. I'm fascinated about the editing room set-up in Elfman's space and working that back and forth in that way. That's pretty cool - to be a fly on the wall during that.

• 1 month later...

I watched the film the other night, and now I totally get why the score is the way it is!

The film is an utterly absurd comedy, but in a pretty unique way.  It's not necessarily that it has funny dialogue or situations (most of the time), but the way all the actors deliver their lines, and the way the scenes are shot and edited are primary ways Baumbach makes it funny.... along with the score!

The score is deliberately over-the-top at many times to be one of the ways to make many scenes funnier.  The score is actually quite awesome in the movie, many cues give the proceedings a great pace and energy.

I can't wait to listen to the score album again now that I know the context!

Oh, and the film ends with a brand new LCD Soundsystem song, that isn't even on the album, even though the album ends with some other song (that was probably in the movie somewhere I suppose, but I don't even remember where)

Just listened to the score album this morning and yep, I like it even more now that I've seen the movie.

And at 41 minutes it really doesn't outstay its welcome.  Definitely one of my favorite scores of 2022!

I don't like the song at the end of the album though.  The album would be stronger if it ended with that LCD Soundsystem song!

It carries the same over-the-top-ness as many of the film cues, would fit right in.  Oh well.