Kobe vs Steven

Tom

Whose theme is better?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Which theme do you prefer?

• Dear Basketball (let's call it "Kobe's theme")
    • The Fabelmans (let's call it "Steven's theme")

Thanks for that!

I hadn't listened to Dear Basketball in quite a way - forgot how lovely it was.

And I haven't listened to the Fabelmans OST more than once, so nothing was embedded in my brain yet.

I think I go with Fabelmans, but both are lovely!

I love The Fabelmans theme, but there's something that connects to me even more with Dear Basketball. It's one of my most wanted releases.... I hope there's a way to include it on some CD compilation in the future, or maybe a digital release. 

Dear Basketball hands down. Hard to beat the power of a full orchestra with a solo piano. To this day, I'm still astonished that two of my childhood heroes from completely different fields connected like this. This is a perfect example of game recognize game.

RIP Mamba n Gigi.

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

I think I prefer the Fabelmans theme melodically but the Dear Basketball piece is a more satisfying arrangement. 

This.  Dear Basketball's theme is basically the Flying theme from American Journey but the presentation really sells it, to the point where it might be the best dramatic John Williams cue of the 2010s (and you can easily argue it was the primary driving factor of its oscar win).  

The Fabelmans is a more long-lined melody and sounds more distinct in Williams oeuvre. 

Mother and Son could have been a more definitive presentation had the strings interlude been longer but I think that part was written for the film.