Jerry Goldsmith's THE BURBS (1989) NEW! 2022 Expanded Edition from La-La Land Records

Jay

I've always enjoyed this score and am glad to finally get a definitive presentation!

I remember thinking the old Varese Club CD didn't sound very good, so am looking forward to hearing the new mastering on top of the new presentation!

I love-love-love this film and how the score works within it, but I've not been into the score as a standalone listen. It's actually my favorite Goldsmith score (in film) outside of his Star Trek scores. 

So glad to finally be able to get my hand one this great score. I was afraid that a reissue or remaster would take quite some time since Varèse had already done it but here we are

51 minutes ago, Jay said:

The previous "Home Furnace" was really a short version of "No Beer."

The previous "No Lights" was really "Home Furnace," meaning the actual "No Lights" debuts on this release.

Didn't we have the same scenario, when Intrada expanded Extreme Prejudice last year? On the old release "A Nice Fellow" was really an alternate version of a cue that made the first half of "The Funeral". Both these cues went into the track "You Ready?" on the new release, meaning the actual "A Nice Fellow" debuted on it.

6 hours ago, Andy said:

I’m thrilled!  I finally get to add this score to my collection.   I feel bad for not getting Small Soldiers and Matinee now. 

Matinee expanded is still available at least! (I’m sorry you missed out on Small Soldiers…)

Yavar

• 3 weeks later...

If you want this edition of The Burbs, it sounds like you should order it soon

All 5 releases have been selling like Cabbage Patch dolls in the 80s and I can say with certainty THE BURBS will be sold out first due to its limited run, so if you want to grab one I would do so sooner than later. Just a reminder, we are closing up shop December 20 and will reopen in 2023 on January 2. Get your orders in now if you can.

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=149995&forumID=1&archive=0

I've listened to it once and though I couldn't give it my full attention, I did try to dedicate a few minutes. The sound quality is definitely an improvement to my ears but it isn't dramatic. The last release was excellent as well and if the new LLL didn't exist, you'd never hear a complaint from me on the previous one. It's a bit "clearer" if that makes sense. Having the correct takes and bonus tracks is welcome as well. 

For those like me who love the score, this is an absolute no-brainer. Buy it immediately. For those who have never heard of it, it's one of the most fun and quirky Goldsmith works there is. I am certainly biased because the film is an all-time personal favorite, but honestly, I'd recommend this to anyone. It's just a lot of fun and never fails to make me smile. If you've already got the previous expanded edition and have to choose between The 'Burbs and other titles in the Black Friday bunch, I'd say go for the others as this is the least changed since its last release. But I love it. :)

Yeah I'm sure they had their reasons but I really don't understand why LLL limited this Mattesino and Bulk-produced definitive edition to only 1500 copies, when Varese's previous Deluxe Edition sold out 3000 copies fairly quickly.

Like c'mon guys, 2000 copies at least?

Still, super grateful to have the missing music and unreleased film versions at last...

Yavar

• 2 weeks later...

This release is great, it fulfilled all my wishes that I could possibly have - it's complete now, it sounds better, the main program is really thought out with most film versions being in the bonus section, the artwork is superb. It is not as essential as, say, Amistad, but it ranks high in Goldsmith's discography, so I don't regret buying this definitive treatment.

I think, that is the least I could write after my Intrada rant.

Hello good people,

I have a quick question regarding this LLL release. I see a lot of you are saying this release is better than Varese.

Now I don't have the Varese CD but I do have the 33track hirez Back Lot release. Is the digital release the same as Varese or is it the same one used for the main program of LLL?

Perhaps it was already answered somewhere, in which case I apologize for asking again.

Edit: Hmmm. By some of your posts and the tracklengths I guess the digital is the same as Varese. Grrrr.... Welp. Hopefully it is still available by the time I make my next order...

Since Universal owns the rights to this score themselves and doesn't share rights with a music label, they will likely replace the digital album they put out through Back Lot with this new edition at some point in the future

This would be similar to what recently happened with Star Trek The Motion Picture, which is entirely owned by Paramount and not shared with a music label anymore, so they put Mike's LLL rebuild on digital sites themselves.

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Since Universal owns the rights to this score themselves and doesn't share rights with a music label, they will likely replace the digital album they put out through Back Lot with this new edition at some point in the future

This would be similar to what recently happened with Star Trek The Motion Picture, which is entirely owned by Paramount and not shared with a music label anymore, so they put Mike's LLL rebuild on digital sites themselves.

In a lot of ways I think this is the best of both worlds solution for the future of this hobby:

Have the specialty labels make definitive expanded releases as limited edition physical releases in order to finance their creation and to make the physical media collectors happy, and then after some exclusivity period make the release available for digital purchase/streaming.

The physical releases are important to be able to finance the expansions since streaming makes hardly any money and without them it would be unprofitable, but I think eventual digital releases are important for long term preservation and wider exposure, plus physical media is unfortunately rapidly dying so I don't know how much more of a future CD-only releases have for the youngest generations especially 

6 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Alas, that only works for titles that are outright owned by one of the studios. Only physical releases can apparently happen when there are multiple owners.

Yavar

Or, you know, they can change that stupid crap so that they share streaming revenue or something. Everyone just assumed it's written in stone that separate studios' scores couldn't be released in a box set but nobody seemed to mind for the JW Disaster Box where they found a simple way.

Yeah, that “simple way” was essentially to create three entirely separate releases (with their own catalogue numbers and everything), and then essentially just artificially force everyone into buying all three together in a slipcover (because they knew there would be less interest in another Poseidon Adventure, methinks).

Multiple labels have said getting digital rights to scores with complicated ownership is a no go. We are lucky to even be able to get the CDs. If that changes in the future, great, but that’s the reality we know right now.

Yavar

On 31/12/2022 at 2:57 AM, Yavar Moradi said:

artificially force everyone into buying all three together

As opposed to naturally forcing everyone?

1 hour ago, Clockwork Angel said:

As opposed to naturally forcing everyone?

Yes, actually. I would say the 4CD John Williams Jurassic Park Collection was an example of it happening more naturally. The Jurassic Park expansion was apparently the impetus but luckily Mike Mattesino was able to get the expansion of The Lost World tacked into it from the same studio licensor. That means that those of us who mainly wanted the more significant Lost World expansion were forced to get Jurassic Park as well (which barely added anything at the time, over the digital expansion which had recently preceded it). But those went together naturally as a package deal (see also the Harry Potter box set, or going way back, the FSM Superman box set before individual volumes followed much later from LLL).

But the disaster set was different: with three different studios involved (and UMG besides, on Earthquake) the three individual scores were all licensed separately and given separate catalogue numbers, *unlike every other box set LLL has released*!

But these three separately licensed releases were then stuck in a slipcase and people were made to buy them as a set. To me, that’s more artificially forced.

Yavar

2 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

But these three separately licensed releases were then stuck in a slipcase and people were made to buy them as a set. To me, that’s more artificially forced.

From memory that was a Williams request, no?

I don't recall that being the case, although I remember Mike Mattesino or someone writing that he suggested Earthquake (certainly the most exciting of the three, since the film recording was totally unreleased) be expanded too.

Yavar

3 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I don't recall that being the case, although I remember Mike Mattesino or someone writing that he suggested Earthquake (certainly the most exciting of the three, since the film recording was totally unreleased) be expanded too.

Yavar

Just checked the LOJW podcast on the Disaster Box and Mike confirmed the box set was JW's idea.

"The idea [of remastering Towering Inferno] had to be presented to John's management... and the response I got was really shocking. John said 'okay, but asks if there's any way to put these together in a box set with Earthquake.' "

7 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

That means that those of us who mainly wanted the more significant Lost World expansion were forced to get Jurassic Park as well (which barely added anything at the time, over the digital expansion which had recently preceded it)

I wouldn't say that at all - it was the first time we had the first score clean in chronological order. Which given how monuentally flawed I think the album arrangemenent is, was very significant.

Although I do remember some comments a bit of time after the box from some people saying they now preferred JW's album :lol:

On 31/12/2022 at 12:29 AM, enderdrag64 said:

Have the specialty labels make definitive expanded releases as limited edition physical releases in order to finance their creation and to make the physical media collectors happy, and then after some exclusivity period make the release available for digital purchase/streaming.

My only nitpick with this otherwise excellent proposition is that I think the physical collectors are always going to want a CD, regardless of what's available when. Varese's last batch went digital straight away. I don't see a need in the current times to delay a digital release.

• 1 month later...

Heh, of course it comes out soon after I'd received my CD.

Anyhow, it is a nice release. No regrets. I appreciated a few of the film versions more than the main program tracks.

Hey, did this get mentioned anywhere?

https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/12158340-odyssey-soundtrack-spotlight-the-burbs-1989-with-joe-dante-and-marshall-harvey

This is amazing. The Burbs isn't my FAVORITE Dante / Goldsmith score, but I'm learning. Podcasts like this help.

I think it was my cohost and editor David Lichty who shared it at FSM this time. Thanks for posting it here Tallguy, and glad you enjoyed it!

This is my favorite Goldsmith score for Dante (and I love the film too but as of this past year I think I rate Matinee even higher as a film). What’s yours?

Yavar

31 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I think it was my cohost and editor David Lichty who shared it at FSM this time. Thanks for posting it here Tallguy, and glad you enjoyed it!

This is my favorite Goldsmith score for Dante (and I love the film too but as of this past year I think I rate Matinee even higher as a film). What’s yours?

Yavar

Innerspace. By miles. I was delighted to hear that Picardo knows his theme music.

My next favorite score is Explorers but I'm not a fan of the film. OTOH I adore Gremlins 2 but don't think much of the score. (It's OK, to be sure.)

I watched The Burbs for the first time ever last month. I liked it. I'm glad it's rep has grown over time. There are parts of the score that aren't just pastiche that are amazing. And the pastiche is obviously a hoot.

I might need to revisit Matinee.

20 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

What’s yours?

Gremlins for sure but The Burbs and Innerspace are awesome too.

For whatever reason, I haven't listened to Exporeres, Gremlins 2, or Matinee much yet