David Arnold's TOMORROW NEVER DIES (1997) - NEW! 2-CD Expanded Edition from La-La Land Records (2022)

Jay

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

And I can't believe I'll be in Italy when it comes out, so won't even get to hear it until 3 weeks from now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is another way, a secret way, a dark way.

20 minutes ago, Jay said:

I'm not sitting down to listen to a 2 1/2 hour film score while on an international vacation with my wife.

and you call yourself a fan...

Tsk-tsk. 

YARN | Can you believe this guy? | The Big Bang Theory (2007) - S06E09 The  Parking Spot Escalation | Video clips by quotes | 11a04729 | 紗

I cannot believe it. This is gold. 

It's GOLD Jerry, GOLD!

Arnold's finest Bond score. Finally putting both of those albums and isolated scores, all of it, to bed and to shame. 

Incredible. 

I wonder what the extended version of Company Car is all about?

And who knew there was a different opening for Surrender! 

This is magnificent! Insta-buy!

And what a delight to see Bond scores finally back on the table for LLL, after MV's grim post earlier this year. Fantastic news all around!

I wonder what impact this might have on those other abandoned Bond expansions, mentioned a few years back?

23 minutes ago, Jay said:

The film version of "Company Car" was not only different musically compared to the OST, it was also cut down quite a bit. 

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Company Car - one will (hopefully) be the version with the film ending (but without all the other microedits throughout).

Surrender - I've always wondered whether an ENDING was written. Given it was Arnold's intention for it to be the main song, did it ever have a proper ending and not just fade out?

A couple of other things I'm wondering about:

- Presumably the Oxford source cue wasn't Arnold or even made specially for this? It's the only thing that seems to be missing. (I know it's not an original composition.)

- Interesting that "Printing Press Fight" is a separate cue from "Hamburg Break Out". Also interesting that that bonus version has an "alternate opening", when I would have thought one would have been the film version (which has a different ENDING) and the other the OST version.

Currently, The World Is Not Enough is my fave David Arnold "Bond" score. But I am intrigued to hear this expansion to see if I like it as much or more! I will say "Surrender" is an amazing song (as was Garbage's song in the latter score). What an insane thing to regulate it to the end credits instead of using it as the title song.

1 hour ago, MedigoScan said:

Am I in the minority when I say I like Sheryl Crow's song a hell of a lot more?

Yes, as it should be.

;)

I like Surrender quite a bit more, but still like TND. I love when the Surrender theme starts playing in brass somewhere during White Knight (I think bond is blowing stuff up with the jet missiles or guns before taking off). 

Works so well as part of the score.

1 hour ago, Anthony said:

A couple of other things I'm wondering about:

- Presumably the Oxford source cue wasn't Arnold or even made specially for this? It's the only thing that seems to be missing. (I know it's not an original composition.)

- Interesting that "Printing Press Fight" is a separate cue from "Hamburg Break Out". Also interesting that that bonus version has an "alternate opening", when I would have thought one would have been the film version (which has a different ENDING) and the other the OST version.

Neil specified on the FSM thread that the Oxford cue was a licensed recording of a Beerhoven piece.

Agreed about the Hamburg cues. I was sure it would be "Hamburg Break Out (Extended Version)". But if one wants them combined, we have editing software for that. Certainly easier than splitting!

But the bonus version says "Film Opening", so what exactly do you mean?

38 minutes ago, Cameron007 said:

Neil specified on the FSM thread that the Oxford cue was a licensed recording of a Beerhoven piece.

Huh, I never realized that was Beethoven. I need to Shazam it and see what it is. 

1 hour ago, MrJosh said:

Huh, I never realized that was Beethoven. I need to Shazam it and see what it is. 

It's the second movement of his fifth piano concerto. An utterly gorgeous, sublime adagio.

10 hours ago, Cameron007 said:

Agreed about the Hamburg cues. I was sure it would be "Hamburg Break Out (Extended Version)". But if one wants them combined, we have editing software for that. Certainly easier than splitting!

But the bonus version says "Film Opening", so what exactly do you mean?

Thanks! I always assumed Arnold re-recorded or did something with the Beethoven section as it sounds very post-processed.

Rather than Printing Press Fight having a "film opening" version, I would have guessed it would just have been a "film version" in general. It's not the opening of that cue that I thought was different.

"Tomorrow Never Dies" as sung by Crow, might not be in the same league as "Surrender" (a truly stunning vocal, by k.d. Lang!), but it towers above the dross that is "Skyfall", "Writing's On The Wall", and the very worst offender of all; "No Time To Die" - truly, the biggest pile of shit ever to be associated with the name James Bond.

11 hours ago, MrJosh said:

I like Surrender quite a bit more, but still like TND. I love when the Surrender theme starts playing in brass somewhere during White Knight (I think bond is blowing stuff up with the jet missiles or guns before taking off). 

Works so well as part of the score.

As they say in the Bond music documentary on Amazon prime, it is much better when the composer of the score is involved in the creation of the song.

Speaking of which, i was shocked to hear shirley bassey saying that she hates the Moonraker song, and she does not sing it in concerts. I think the music is gorgeous, probably is the lyrics that dont make much sense...but i cant stop humming the melody after listening to it.

I prefer diamons are forever, though.

43 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

...Shirley Bassey saying that she hates the Moonraker song, and she does not sing it in concerts. I think the music is gorgeous, probably is the lyrics that don't make much sense..

Have you read the original lyrics, as written by Paul Williams?

They are mentioned in THE MUSIC OF JAMES BOND, by John Burlingame.

The plan was to have Ole Blue Eyes, himself, sing it, but it was shelved.

"No Good About Goodbye", as sung by Amy Winehouse, would have been phenomenal.