David Arnold's TOMORROW NEVER DIES (1997) - NEW! 2-CD Expanded Edition from La-La Land Records (2022)

Jay

Dodd orchestrated and conducted it. Sometimes albums get tagged incorrectly. I've seen Elfman albums credited to Shirley Walker or Pete Anthony for example.

Re: Hamburg Breakout/Printing Press Fight

13 hours ago, Jay said:

It's clearly two separate cues in the film.

The transition in between the two cues in the film is a bit of a mess. But you're right - I've been so used to having the cobbled together from the isolated score, I totally forgot the latter cue was never on the original album. I've just listened to that again now...I'm gonna have to get used to that ending. :D

I wonder if/how Backseat Pilot transitions into the title song. I hope it doesn't and I can have the full Backseat Pilot cue followed by Surrender instead.

I only discovered this track earlier this year, so it stands to reason other people who love TND might not be aware of it either. Classic Arnold.

This may have been answered several years ago/in another thread, but how come the expanded Arnold Bond scores were released in reverse order? 

Yes, that's one of my favourite Arnold compositions! The regular version isn't too shabby either. :)

On TND: over the moon with this expansion, of course, I can finally retire my edit of the score and can't wait to listen to the complete score at last.

2 hours ago, Anthony said:

This may have been answered several years ago/in another thread, but how come the expanded Arnold Bond scores were released in reverse order? 

Reversed chronological order, yes, but I’m pretty sure they were released in the order of how much previously unreleased music there was. Tomorrow Never Dies had an original album, a prior single disc (but significant) expansion (which was oddly missing a bit of music on the original release), and an isolated score track. Between those three sources fans were able to construct a fairly complete version of the score. But this new version from LLL will blow that all away I’m sure…

Yavar

I don’t know how well known this is but John Barry was originally in talks to compose the score for this one, talks fell through and they went to Arnold.

A couple years earlier Arnold originally told the Bond producers he would love to score one, they told him they just hired Serra for Goldeneye less than a week prior

Agree with Yavar here - man, if Folk was able to carry on with that assignment.....who knows what would have happened. He should have been a MUCH bigger name. Not relegated to silly comedies or simple drama crap. By all accounts he was hired for Goldeneye, but the usual tax incentives kicked in and a French composer was required. Can't help to think this must have been factor for the Broccoli hire initially:

I still think an Arnold score (i.e. very very Barry) was the last thing Goldeneye needed. Goldeneye managed to bring back a very Bond Bond without making it a "greatest hits". I think Serra's score contributes to this more than people appreciate. (Of course, I think COVID is appreciated more than Serra's score.)

Maybe if he did Goldenye first he wouldn't have done the "All Bond Theme All the Time" score that he did for TND.

And he's right, that Goldenye teaser is amazing.

Tallguy makes sense - fair enough. Serra was cool after Leon but the problem with Goldeneye is that Leon only makes a few appearances, the rest is chic 1995 French supermarket pop. But I think a less abrasive score might have worked as well to distinguish the franchise - ie. Folk doing a more expansive synth-accompanied score that uses brass and plays to his skill with spotting (something that Serra very seriously lacks).

19 minutes ago, scallenger said:

Can someone, anyone, at least re-score THIS scene? LOL

Sorry, couldn't help it!

As someone who reflexively hit the skip button on that track for years I have to say that once you get past the beepity boops that open the track and it smooths out it's not bad. No, I'm not taking it over Backseat Driver, but it serves the scene well. Better than Backseat Driver, actually, which isn't that great in the film. And it's a really good scene. So good that Mission: Impossible 2 would snatch it a few years later.

I've said it before but I think 80% of the hate for this score is directed at the first 30 seconds of this one track.

11 hours ago, Tallguy said:

As someone who reflexively hit the skip button on that track for years I have to say that once you get past the beepity boops that open the track and it smooths out it's not bad. No, I'm not taking it over Backseat Driver, but it serves the scene well. Better than Backseat Driver, actually, which isn't that great in the film. And it's a really good scene. So good that Mission: Impossible 2 would snatch it a few years later.

I've said it before but I think 80% of the hate for this score is directed at the first 30 seconds of this one track.

The other 20% is because nearly the entire score is shit.

52 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I love GOLDENEYE, both film and score. They go very well, together, and I wouldn't want it rescored by anyone.

Technically it partially already was ;)

Given all the flack Goldeneye gets, there are still about 20 minutes of music from it that I enjoy:

The trailer music by Parodi & Fair
The Goldeneye Overture
Ladies First
Run, Shoot And Jump
Altman’s tank chase music
And the Prague instrumental of the title song

I've got Fatal Weakness, Dish Out Of Water and Run, Shoot, And Jump.

The rest of the score.... eh, it's fine. Those who insist Bond should have a Barry/Arnold sound 'or else' should just go listen to their many scores instead and stop whining.

Oh yeah, I remember now: I really liked this score.

I know it's music we already have, but Bike Chase is so good.

The beginning of Okinawa is cool. It's where all the Bond fans declare with one voice "We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight!"