Danny Elfman's SPIDER-MAN (2002) - NEW! 3-CD Expanded Edition from La-La Land Records (2022)

Jay

ORIGINAL SCORE ALBUM
1. Main Title 3:29

BONUS TRACKS
16. Main Titles (Album Version) 3:41

SCORE PRESENTATION
1. Main Titles (Album Version) 3:41

???

So there are 3 versions, the "original score album" version, and two "album version"?

Just now, ManofDestiny said:

ORIGINAL SCORE ALBUM
1. Main Title 3:29

BONUS TRACKS
16. Main Titles (Album Version) 3:41

SCORE PRESENTATION
1. Main Titles (Album Version) 3:41

???

So there are 3 versions, the "original score album" version, and two "album version"?

I bet the album versions are the same/an alternate.

If anybody had doubts that Sony Music was working with the specialty labels again, here you go!

Is there any material within the old score album that isn't on discs 2 or 3 here?

I actually really dislike the OST for SM1. Too many missing bits, and some truly baffling microedits (why would you remove the choir from Revenge? It kind of stands out in the scene it's in, so surely the listener would be looking for it). Definitely glad I didn't buy it when I purchased the OST for SM2 (which is much more tastefully handled).

Wow, I hadn't actually expected this to happen any time soon! Gonna definitely get this! (Not sure I'll get it before Christmas though -a ton of postal strikes going on next month)

This does make me want to ask a very specific question. Namely: why would Sony be perfectly fine with LLL licensing their biggest cash cow in Spider-Man, but not Ghostbusters? Is it because they fully own the latter? Or is there some WB esque legal technicalities that make it to where GB is a different thing music rights wise? I just don't get it.

Of course, the management is a bit different now, but there's no knowing yet how long this particular set has been languishing in development.

7 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Hm. 10 minutes less and the could have made it a two disc set. Respective all the redundancies I would have preferred that.

If they really wanted to, they could've barely fit the full main score onto one disc. And yet because Elfman seems so insistent that they always include the OST to go first, they're better off not stressing the discs out if this is to be the arrangement.

3 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Why on earth would you open the set with the OST? Does it contain anything not on the other discs?

I think that would be simply composer's request to include it. Always seems to be the case with Elfman.

Karol

5 hours ago, HunterTech said:

why would Sony be perfectly fine with LLL licensing their biggest cash cow in Spider-Man, but not Ghostbusters? Is it because they fully own the latter? 

Yea

Elfman feels some ownership over the OST programs, I’d think.  It’s how he personally expanded all the Burton scores in that big box. Most of the expansions that have come out since have included the album program.  On a lot of his recent OSTs, he even uses the same approach - throwing a handful of “bonus tracks” after the album program proper (see Dumbo, Wednesday, The Circle, etc. etc.)

(I’m happy to say that this is also my preferred method of expansion, so thanks Danny!)

Release of the year for me, I think!

6 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Elfman feels some ownership over the OST programs, I’d think.  It’s how he personally expanded all the Burton scores in that big box.

Not The Nightmare Before Christmas! 

True - and one or two other much smaller tweaks, like adding some Batwing music to the Batman OST proper iirc - feels like he wasn’t beholden to the historical artifact of the OST, but had some feelings about the listening experience he wanted

I love early Elfman, but this is one I don’t come back to much. 

I’m passingly familiar with the film, own the OST, but rarely play it.  Those of you who’ve heard the whole leaked score, will it change my opinion?

Well, for me it was a milestone in his career in that it was a huge blockbuster.  But I never felt it redefined the genre or Elfman’s own style.  I loved the movie, and also remember the FSM podcast mentioned that helped me appreciate the motif a little better.  But I can’t recall a single set piece or standout cue from Spider-Man the way I do from his Batman score. 

It’s the same old question with an expansion when you’re on the fence about it:  Do I not love this score because the OST is lacking, or because the score just doesn’t work for me?  

3 minutes ago, Andy said:

But I can’t recall a single set piece or standout cue from Spider-Man the way I do from his Batman score. 

I would say, for me, I love the main titles, Peter chasing after Ben's killer, the costume montage, the parade attack is fantastic, and I love when he rips his shirt revealing the Spider logo, the music for that shot is superb. The entire finale leading up to the Final Confrontation is amazing, and I cannot wait to hear the film version of Final Confrontation, that is something I've been waiting to hear clean for a very long time, no more poor quality film rips!

2 hours ago, Andy said:

I love early Elfman, but this is one I don’t come back to much. 

Wait, has Elfman's film career gone on long enough now that this is considered early? 

Ooh boy I'm old. This will always feel like late Elfman to me! 

6 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I only hope this release sells well so that LLL may do a definitive version of Spider-Man 2. It would be a challenge to properly represent not only Elfman's music but also Chris Young's and the others' music in a way that flows well, but I'm sure a competent producer may do it.

I don't think it'd be hard at all. The main program would be entirely Elfman's intended score, and work by other composer's would be bonus tracks. The trickerier part is probably licensing everything and convincing Elfman to let the other composer's work be included, I'd guess. 

@WampaRat I could not agree more.  That sums it up perfectly for me also.  I prefer the “quaintness” of Elfman Phase I.  His early recordings had just the right balance of rawness and orchestral swell.

@Jay I don’t really consider this early Elfman, but my wording could be interpreted as such.  I would call this his second phase.  If it were “early” it would sound a lot more like Dick Tracy or the Flash. 

@Brando Thank you for the highlights you mentioned.  I’m sure I will enjoy this if I give it a chance from this angle.  The more I consider it, the more I really want it.   I just may wait a while and get my top choices from the batch first. 

It is a really fun score though to be sure. I made a custom edit between the ost and the boot that runs about 65ish minutes that is just right for me. Seeing a beautifully produced set like this is tempting to be sure. But I’m asking myself more and more, “ how often will I really listen to this?” Very happy for those who’ve been waiting for this one though!

I've wanted the complete score, especially the film version of Parade Attack (with the alternate section not present in the leaked version) since I was 13. Cannot express how happy and grateful I am for this release. :) It is definitely one of my all-time favourites from Danny Elfman. I too hope this paves the way for an eventual release of the complete Spidey 2 and 3 scores.

2 hours ago, Andy said:

@Brando Thank you for the highlights you mentioned.  I’m sure I will enjoy this if I give it a chance from this angle.  The more I consider it, the more I really want it.   I just may wait a while and get my top choices from the batch first. 

This scene is literally just Peter drawing up potential costume designs, but the buildup to the theme is heavenly as he finally comes up with the final design.

5 minutes ago, Brando said:

This scene is literally just Peter drawing up potential costume designs, but the buildup to the theme is heavenly as he finally comes up with the final design.

That's on the OST though so he'd already be familiar with that cue.

3 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

That's on the OST though so he'd already be familiar with that cue.

Oh, I forgot he had the OST haha, but I was also posting that here cause that is definitely one of my favorite cues.

I definitely get more mileage out of Spider-Man 2 than this score. The Goblin theme just can't compete with Doc Ock's!

But I was wondering the other day why neither of these has gotten an expanded release...they seem like they've been prime candidates for years. Rights issues I suppose.

Obviously these things change, but I recall MV saying a few years ago that only Spider-Man 1 would be possible to release. I'm not sure if Elfman and Raimi being on great terms again makes a release of the sequels more or less likely.

3 hours ago, Anthony said:

I definitely get more mileage out of Spider-Man 2 than this score. The Goblin theme just can't compete with Doc Ock's!

But I was wondering the other day why neither of these has gotten an expanded release...they seem like they've been prime candidates for years. Rights issues I suppose.

You're crazy. The Green Goblin theme is one of Elfman's best comic book themes, sinuous and sinister, while Doc Ock's sounds sort of plinkety-plunk by comparison. It has its moments but nothing to compete with that Goblin line.

I've always blamed it on the fact that both villains were interpreted as having a sort of schizophrenia: Goblin with the other version of himself and Octopus' tentacles. Elfman was forced to sort of re-invent the wheel musically, which is risky. Another one of the reasons I prefer the first film as well.

Doc Ock's theme links to the Spider-Man theme which makes the action music a lot more coherent. In fact, all the themes in Spider-Man 2 link to the main theme (same thing with Batman Returns and Doctor Strange 2).

I think Spider-Man 2 is a more well-rounded listen but that the first has greater highlights.

Doc Ock's theme beats the Goblin's for me too. Nothing wrong with the Goblin's theme; it totally fits. But there are statements of Ock's theme that give me goosebumps.

Otherwise I prefer the first score, though.

3 hours ago, ddddeeee said:

Doc Ock's theme links to the Spider-Man theme which makes the action music a lot more coherent. In fact, all the themes in Spider-Man 2 link to the main theme

Probably why I prefer the third score lol

I used to prefer Doc Ock's theme, as it is so catchy, but now I prefer Goblin's slithery and slippery theme. It's a brilliant piece of melodic craftsmanship. Next to Howard Shore's Smaug material, it is the best example of film music villain theme in modern times.

Karol