Danny Elfman's SPIDER-MAN (2002) - NEW! 3-CD Expanded Edition from La-La Land Records (2022)

Jay

I really love the Doc Ock theme, but the Goblin theme NAILS that character. It's perfect. So is Elfman's Spider-Man theme for that matter.

Now bring on the Horner score!

Young should have written a love theme about the romance between me and the first two Spider-man scores.  It still probably wouldn’t have been very good, but at least it would have been about something good 

51 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Young should have written a love theme about the romance between me and the first two Spider-man scores.  It still probably wouldn’t have been very good, but at least it would have been about something good 

If you want a not very good love theme for that, try the Elfman.

;)

As a massive fan of Batman Forever (I was 6!) I was always distracted by the fact that the last 5 notes of Elfman’s Goblin theme sounded like Goldenthal’s Regret/Tragedy theme (0:00-0:20) The rhythm is a tad different. But kinda crazy. 

Some good variations of it here:

(4:29-end)

1 hour ago, thestat said:

Wampa - that is a massive coincidence if there was one ever! But good catch,

I can't believe 20 years ago everyone was debating if Spiderman had a theme - you may not have been about in those days but that was the discussion. Apparently, the theme was not 'strong' enough. Dear God, where are we nowadays then.

Oh yep. I was around. And one of the grumps who couldn’t latch onto Elfman’s Spidey theme right away. Seemed a bit too nebulous to me as a jr High film score geek. Wasn’t as “immediate” as his Batman theme (which EverYonE wanted this to go toe to toe with) But I adore his Spider-Man scores now 😊

Just now got around to listening to the Spiderman samples....man, the film versions of Parade Attack and Final Confrontation sound incredible. Hearing the sections without sound effects is amazing. Cannot wait for it to arrive!

42 minutes ago, Andy said:

I will get this eventually. 

Maybe watch the movie once or twice between now and January and bundle it with the other Williams release. Maybe your mind will change.

9 hours ago, Brando said:

Maybe watch the movie once or twice between now and January and bundle it with the other Williams release. Maybe your mind will change.

Good idea!  I'm sort of feeling nostalgic for the film itself.

Do you mean Amistad?  Or was there an announcement I missed?

I get the inclusion of the OST, but since I reckon 99% of the people who will buy this edition already own the OST and the fact that it adds almost 15 euros to price of this edition, I can't help but feel it could've been left out without much harm done

5 hours ago, Andy said:

Good idea!  I'm sort of feeling nostalgic for the film itself.

Do you mean Amistad?  Or was there an announcement I missed?

Same! I bought the 4K trilogy pack from Bear Buy because it was marked down for BF, and now I’ve got the complete score to go with it!!

And yes, there were 2(?)other former BF titles that were pushed to early next year that MM hoped to get out this month, but stuff came up I guess.

9 minutes ago, Juanki said:

but I am sure that almost everyone who is buying this expanded, already owns the regular release.

Or doesn't want it.

And if they do, they can widely access it on any streaming platform.

3 hours ago, HunterTech said:

In defense of the OST inclusion: @Bilbo would've pointed out fairly recently to some of us that the original CDs have actually become somewhat scarce lately. Admittedly, this effects SM1 less (as the eBay/Amazon listings are decent enough in spite of Discogs being a bit more lacking officially), but good luck trying to get a copy of SM2 that's less than $40 in the US. Seeing as Sony cares more about LP sales with the upcoming vinyl pressings, I don't think it hurts for Elfman to still want some other options for his curated programs to be available in physical form. Is it unnecessary? Perhaps, but seeing as legally this is considered an extension of a pre-existing release, you might have to swallow the bitter pill if it had to be a requirement. Go sell the old CD (especially now that I've mentioned the rising prices thing) if the extra $10 are an issue.

As for the streaming argument: you think this shit is gonna be around 24/7? Of course, bigger labels don't need to worry much about their stuff getting taken down, but it's hard to know for certain now that some companies are experimenting with not letting key albums be available for purchase. Often I see some songs just randomly disappear and reappear again, so am I gonna be the sort to blindly trust tracks being there at all times? There is a reason we still buy our favorites at the end of the day. Oh yeah, and there's also a matter of watermarks for those who are more technically minded audio wise, so that is probably something I'd want to avoid too.

Lastly, I don't really buy that most complaining about this choice actually had much interest in the score to begin with if it's that much of a turn off. You don't know for damn sure if there's lesser value here because it's only like 1/5th redundant. It's a popular enough movie that it'll probably sell fine (even if the HP box still being available makes selling out quickly very unlikely), but I'll sure as hell hold you responsible anyway if a key few are enough to prevent the sequels from also getting expanded down the road, as we should support our local record labels in every way if they give us items that we have even the slightest interest in. I've probably bought a bit too much at this point, but I ain't complaining if it gives us beauties like these.

(That being said: Superman IV ain't a bad alternative, even if I'll personally threaten to mail a pipe bomb if you don't buy SM1 when it's the next sale.)

That's a weird rant.

I don't know what you mean by local label, but LaLaLand is not exactly a neighborhood joint. 

By the way, there are only two big companies left in the US that still print books. Do you hold me responsible for not buying the latest crime thriller?

I don't need to spend 40 dollars, or any money, on a soundtrack I don't feel I need. 

You're putting way more thought into this than necessary.

5 hours ago, HunterTech said:

In defense of the OST inclusion: @Bilbo would've pointed out fairly recently to some of us that the original CDs have actually become somewhat scarce lately. Admittedly, this effects SM1 less (as the eBay/Amazon listings are decent enough in spite of Discogs being a bit more lacking officially), but good luck trying to get a copy of SM2 that's less than $40 in the US. Seeing as Sony cares more about LP sales with the upcoming vinyl pressings, I don't think it hurts for Elfman to still want some other options for his curated programs to be available in physical form. Is it unnecessary? Perhaps, but seeing as legally this is considered an extension of a pre-existing release, you might have to swallow the bitter pill if it had to be a requirement. Go sell the old CD (especially now that I've mentioned the rising prices thing) if the extra $10 are an issue.

As for the streaming argument: you think this shit is gonna be around 24/7? Of course, bigger labels don't need to worry much about their stuff getting taken down, but it's hard to know for certain now that some companies are experimenting with not letting key albums be available for purchase. Often I see some songs just randomly disappear and reappear again, so am I gonna be the sort to blindly trust tracks being there at all times? There is a reason we still buy our favorites at the end of the day. Oh yeah, and there's also a matter of watermarks for those who are more technically minded audio wise, so that is probably something I'd want to avoid too.

Lastly, I don't really buy that most complaining about this choice actually had much interest in the score to begin with if it's that much of a turn off. You don't know for damn sure if there's lesser value here because it's only like 1/5th redundant. It's a popular enough movie that it'll probably sell fine (even if the HP box still being available makes selling out quickly very unlikely), but I'll sure as hell hold you responsible anyway if a key few are enough to prevent the sequels from also getting expanded down the road, as we should support our local record labels in every way if they give us items that we have even the slightest interest in. I've probably bought a bit too much at this point, but I ain't complaining if it gives us beauties like these.

(That being said: Superman IV ain't a bad alternative, even if I'll personally threaten to mail a pipe bomb if you don't buy SM1 when it's the next sale.)

I agree. If the OST being included was the only thing standing in the way from the beginning, then I am completely fine with that. What matters is that they recognize that people like the Raimi trilogy’s scores and have released the first one in complete form, and hopefully will release two and three, even though those have a lot of legal issues to overcome, I’m sure it’s possible. I probably won’t listen to the OST at all, except for trying to find any hidden alternates in there, but if that’s all it took for the complete score to be released, so be it.

2 minutes ago, Trent B said:

To those who are bitching about the OST being included...it's possible they HAD to include it as part of the contract for this release. I'm sure if they had it their way, they MAY NOT have included the OST.

If you don't like the OST, then hey don't rip it to your computer. Just rip the rest of the score. Be thankful we even have this. I know I certainly am.

Here's hoping that at some point Spidey 2 and 3 follows suit with the same treatment.

It's possible to voice the opinion that a CD release may not offer enough value to buy it, you know.

These are hard monetary times, and most people need to be careful what they spend.

SO, if you have to speak in this tone ... if those bitching about people being "ungrateful" towards this may indulge me for a moment, if I have to choose between a rare night out with my fiancee, and buying a CD twice for 40 dollars, I certainly will not choose the superfluous CD because some avatars on the internet tell me to be "thankful" towards some random company.

4 hours ago, Trent B said:

To those who are bitching about the OST being included...it's possible they HAD to include it as part of the contract for this release. I'm sure if they had it their way, they MAY NOT have included the OST.

If you don't like the OST, then hey don't rip it to your computer. Just rip the rest of the score. Be thankful we even have this. I know I certainly am and I honestly can NOT wait until I get my copy. I'm really eager to dive into this and hear film version cues outside of the film for once. IE: Parade Attack via samples.

Here's hoping that at some point Spidey 2 and 3 follows suit with the same treatment.

Neil posted on the FSM thread saying they had to include it. It seems there was no other option and they had to release that as well if they wanted to expand the rest of the score. I don’t know why this is so hard for people to grasp.

2 hours ago, Brando said:

Neil posted on the FSM thread saying they had to include it. It seems there was no other option and they had to release that as well if they wanted to expand the rest of the score. I don’t know why this is so hard for people to grasp.

Im not seeing that at all.  He posted twice about it:

1)

Again, throwing on the 2002 CD (which everyone already has) just to add ten bucks to the price.

How dare we respect the composer's wishes!

and

And not to pin this entirely on one person's wishes, MV, Dan and I discussed this quite a bit and we realized there was no way to avoid going to three CDs. We wanted to include everything we had on this set.

How dare we respect the composer's wishes!

This statement to me is that Elfman only approved the expansion as long as the OST was included. Thats how I interpreted it.

6 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Ah!  I’m sure Elfman couldn’t have blocked it, but it’s also probably a bad idea to piss the guy off.

(Ps thank u Danny)

Yeah, with his history revolving Spiderman 2, we're lucky this one was approved.