Danny Elfman's SPIDER-MAN (2002) - NEW! 3-CD Expanded Edition from La-La Land Records (2022)

Jay

Not yet, and I'm not sure if LLL would be ones to update very late in the day. I hope this would mean that the amount of orders are so high that they're a bit busy trying to pack everything for them to get everyone all at once today, but there's no way of knowing that outside of an FSM update.

4 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

Ah man, do I want to tell the story of how I technically never paid for the HP LLL boxset? Cause I still wonder what exactly happened there.

Yes, yes you do:blink:

This would've been in a time when I was far more conscious about my purchasing choices (whereas I'm more Gung-ho about it now), and it wouldn't have been long after what I considered a big investment in the Superman FSM Blue Box. I was super quick to order the HP set when it was immediately available to order, yet it hadn't occurred to me that I could ask for it as a Christmas gift instead. So I sent an email asking if the order could be canceled, to which whoever responded proceeded to give me my money back.

However, my sister told me that she couldn't get it for me, so I decided to then just buy it again. And yet, I don't remember how I exactly realized, but for whatever reason, whoever canceled the first order didn't tell those who were in charge of the shipping proper. So imagine my confusion when I get an email saying that the other unit I had ordered shipped out. I ended up with two copies of the collection, with one of them being the one I got refunded on.

Now, this would've been the point where I should've contacted LLL about the situation and figured out what to do from there (which is possible I did do, but it's been a while). And yet, what I ended up doing instead was selling the other unit to someone I still know, with the box completely unopened (which would've made returning it very easy). And thus, I practically spent nothing on the box set.

I refused to tell the story "publicly" (I did talk about it in the JWFan Discord last year) for a while, cause I figured it'd make me look like an asshole for using the situation to take advantage of a company that has struggled on occasion (plus rob someone who would've been more interested in the material than the seller I gave it to). And given this is the thread where I've pushed hard on the "support LLL in every possible way" train...... yeah, I don't think the thought has disappeared much :flush:.

Guess I'm also a hypocrite for complaining about the lossy PoA tracks if I could very easily buy from the newer batch as a result of never having paid for mine in reality :lol: (though that's probably better off being in the hands of another, newer and less familiar fan).

8 minutes ago, crocodile said:

They just say they're working around the clock, including weekends, and had to get extra help. And orders containing Spider-Man will begin shipping today. 

Karol

Oh dang. At least they're busy for the holidays though, thats always good.

3 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Intrada expanded The Avengers at the time of release.  Otherwise I don’t believe there’s been a Marvel expansion.

They had like one extra bonus track track right?, not really an expansion IMHO

The Incredible Hulk got an OST with 2 full CDs. Meanwhile Avengers: Infinity War and Endgame were both released with average length albums and considerably expanded deluxe editions right out of the gate.

9 hours ago, HunterTech said:

Oh yeah, here's something that might justify having the OST being included: reminding you how shitty modern mainstream mastering can be, as the new expansion (the top track) actually handles the compression much better!

ItJf6kH.png

Now that's a sexy waveform!

Excellent release by the La-La-Land, as always. The mix is better but it's not a significant improvement, development of it is much more interesting in comparison to the original album and it's strange that Elfman have included only a 45 minutes of it. There is also numerous highlights.

I find original albums for both of his works lacking, second one is especially too heavily focuses on the melodrama, and yeah I know about all this stuff with replacement cues/inserts from Debney and Young.

He could've include almost an entire score for the first movie on that 1 CD

Funny how the score was bashed on the release and now it's like a modern classic of the superhero genre.

On 08/12/2022 at 6:10 AM, HunterTech said:

Oh yeah, here's something that might justify having the OST being included: reminding you how shitty modern mainstream mastering can be, as the new expansion (the top track) actually handles the compression much better!

ItJf6kH.png

Yeah, now there's a reason for 50 dollars: wavelength.

This score is an interesting case where I love the main title - one of the best opening compositions for a film I've ever heard. Then...largely... meh?

The Costume Montage and Farewell cues are also really cool but the rest of the score sort of falls into Elfman's more drama side which rarely works for me.

I think it just comes down to stylistic tastes because I mostly prefer the additional composer material for Spidey 2. There's something unique about Sleepy Hollow and A Simple Plan because in terms of scores fully composed by him (as opposed to rewrites/replacements, etc) those are the only two I have from him.

On 10/12/2022 at 1:51 PM, NL197 said:

Yes, although the coloring on web-head is a bit off, like it was photoshopped out or something: 

https://warmbutter.com/albums/spider-man/

spiderman-cover-square.jpg

To add to that, being in Canada, I paid $76.50 for this thing thanks to currency conversion. 

I paid it because being a 20th anniversary release of a treasured film (and the original score album does indeed sit on my shelf, purchased 20 years ago when the film came out) and I'm glad to have this sit next to it, included OST or not. 

Mine is still firmly in "Awaiting Fulfillment" mode. 

Thank you!

3 hours ago, HunterTech said:

I hope to God it's true that Elfman has mellowed out about the situation with SM2, as the only thing that could top this is an official expansion of that score with this exact team.

We are all hoping and all have our fingers crossed!

Thanks for that write-up, @HunterTech, I really enjoyed reading it!

I cannot wait to give this album a proper listen once my ear infection clears up.  But in the meantime, I put this together for anyone who is interested

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1N9vGXHKj7_VmKAKqlsMZfoyaw4W9pMwcVYF-G-QDAa8