AMISTAD (1997) - NEW! 2-CD 25th Anniversary Expanded Edition produced by Mike Matessino (2022)

Jay

6 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Also consider the OST partially repeated music from track 1 in track 14!

That wasn't the only repeated music on the OST album!

2 minutes ago, crumbs said:

It's insane that he left the triumphant version of Cinque's Theme (when he is freed by the Supreme Court) off the album, given it's the emotional climax of the score.

Right?

While I’m REALLY glad I was right about this, I’m surprised the film has not gotten a 4K Blu-ray release to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the film. Delayed maybe? I mean, the Blu-ray presentation is phenomenal, don’t get me wrong. I was just expecting a 4K home video release since we know that the film was restored in 4K recently. Regardless, I CANNOT WAIT to have this!

Wow, what fantastic news. I've come to really appreciate these scores to the historical Steven Spielberg movies, even more so now than when they were first released... I'm especially talking about Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, War Horse, Lincoln, Empire of the Sun, and Amistad. 

Not always easy listens, but something profoundly moving and fundamentally compelling about these scores, reverberating deep within our souls and hearts.... Music for the ages, as it were.

Looks like the African drum source might not have made it, which is understandable (don't think it would've fit anyway, given how packed the album is with alternates).

The blurb does reference source music on disc 2 however, so the Tavern track must be the guitar source. Fingers crossed!

3 minutes ago, crocodile said:

1997 was such an interesting year for Williams. Very rewarding music all around. :)

Karol

And this leaves Seven Years in Tibet as the only 1997 score that hasn't been expanded :)

Meilleurs GIFs Loup Tex Avery | Gfycat

Such a terric release to end the year. This score is absolutely beautiful and I cannot wait to hear it completely.

Titus' cover is so perfect, probably one of the best he did.

Thanks to all involved for this incredible set.

In addition to the extra music and alternates - it will be a solid listening experience in this new High Resolution transfer.

Mike Matessino is the Man of the Hour- A Very Happy Birthday to you today Mike !!!

Never heard the score before except for "Dry your tears" and "The long road..." which I like a lot, but saw the film. Can't wait to add another part to my Williams collection :)

Just extraordinary.  That track list makes me so happy.  This will be a rich full meal of a score and I cannot wait to savor every second.  Thank you LLL and Mike Matessino from a very grateful JWFan!

14 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Might be the most exciting special edition release since the Harry Potter box set! After all, it's one of my 10 favourite Williams scores!

On this, we are the same

I'm happy. Over the past decade or so, this has become one of my most played JW scores (until I stopped playing it about a year ago or so in anticipation of a new release). Probably my favourite of the plausible candidates for this batch.

A very happy birthday to Mike! It still seems odd that we're always the one getting musical gifts on his birthdays.

5 hours ago, Jay said:

It's a masterpiece of a recording - say what you want about other recordings of his, but Shawn Murphy was at the top of his game in 1997 and this recording is one of the most satisfying recordings of his I've ever had the pleasure of listening to

Does that mean the new release sounds significantly better than the old one? The sound of the OST was always alright, as far as I recall - certainly better than the (in parts) lousy Seven Years in Tibet, but not half as good as Dennis Sands' masterful Rosewood.

I never was a fan of "Dry Your Tears Africa". I always found it a little overdramatic and emotive like many scenes in the movie itself. But Cinque's theme is georgious and I really enjoy listening to the soundtrack album. This is really a great opportunity to discover the score new from a different angle. 

8 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

I love that cover!

Jim Titus' design is as fantastic as usual. The cover is gorgeous. LLL releases have hands down the best visual designs. :) 

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

On this, we are the same

And it's just my third favourite score of his from that year - which makes it obviously (not only the year I was born, but also) my favourite year regarding John Williams' output.

4 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

So, Cinque's Theme and Cinque's Memories of Home are concert pieces and no film cues?

“Cinque’s Memories of Home” is not a concert arrangement, but is actually 13M2 Cinque’s Legal Mind. I haven’t seen the film, but I’m guessing the track called “Cinque’s Legal Mind” in the score presentation must be a revision of it.

19 minutes ago, Bounty95 said:

I'm not familiar with this score. Would you rather recommend listening to the OST first or should I wait until I can hear the expansion? 

I don’t think it ever hurts to listen to a Williams OST first to get an idea of the main components of the score. But from what Jay is describing, this new release seems like a revelation on the same tier as A.I.!

@Jayforgive my ignorance, but can I ask what your role in this release (and subsequently the newest JP release) is/was? Do you function as kind of a consultant due to your plethora of spreadsheets and breakdowns etc? Hopefully that doesn’t come across as demeaning…