AMISTAD (1997) - NEW! 2-CD 25th Anniversary Expanded Edition produced by Mike Matessino (2022)

Jay

My copy of Amistad and TND is on track to be delivered tomorrow. Gosh. I’m not sure which one I want to jump into first. An emotional historic drama scored by Maestro Williams? Or the best (arguably) balls-to-the-wall modern Bond score? It will certainly depend on my mood at the end of the day. 

1 hour ago, WampaRat said:

My copy of Amistad and TND is on track to be delivered tomorrow. Gosh. I’m not sure which one I want to jump into first. An emotional historic drama scored by Maestro Williams? Or the best (arguably) balls-to-the-wall modern Bond score? It will certainly depend on my mood at the end of the day. 

Save the best for the last.. I'd go with AMISTAD in the end as its a rich, moving score that is best enjoyed in solitude.

Looks like stuff crossed the pond in record time on this BF batch, as the German Soundtrack Corner has just shipped my Amistad/TND order as well.

For comparison: Ordered the Potter boxset on release and it arrived in January!

On 30/11/2022 at 11:21 AM, Tom Guernsey said:

Hah... no... it's the small island in the English Channel where I live. I've never really been one for snappy usernames, prefer to stick to something somewhat factual.

The company I work for is based in Guernsey :D

On 16/12/2022 at 6:37 PM, Jay said:

I really thought there'd be some commentary on this great trailer!

I thought it was extremely well made!  Hopefully Maurizio gets to make more in the future!

I'm avoiding music spoilers before receiving the set! :P

Which, thanks to Bell Gardens CA, will probably be after Christmas :angry:

I'm just listening to the cd and reading the liner notes, but I have an observation about the latter.

The track analysis is a bit mixed up.  

I mean, it would be nice if there was a track by track analysis with all the themes they're using, in chronological order.

Instead, you read about Cinque's theme and how it is used in each track, then you go to the Dry your tears africa theme and you go back to some tracks that it was used, then you go to Adam's theme, and again back to some tracks.

This way, it makes it difficult if you're listening to the music and reading the liner notes at the same time.

I am not sure if I explained well, what is my problem with them.

Most liner notes writers have been discussing the music grouped by themes, instead of chronological order of the cues, for years now, certainly for longer than the small period of time that we got segmented track by track analysis style liners

Another vote to the powers above us for track by track analysis. I do remember reading reasons for the approach used in Amistad - maybe in the liner notes of an earlier release and maybe by Mike - and I recall he (oe she) had a point, I just can't remember what it was. 

Oh I think you both misunderstood me - I wasn't saying anything bad about segemented track-by-track analysis at all, quite the opposite - I love that style and wish it was the standard that every single catalog album still used in their liners!

But it did slowly drop of fashion, for probably a variety of different reasons.

As for the duration, I was just going by my gut.  It feels like a lot of releases had these for a while in the 2000s, but we've now been in a longer period where they are mostly paragraph style grouped more by theme or mood than chronological order, than the period of time in which the majority of releases got track-by-tracks

I love when they talk about a specific theme or motive and they write "first heard in this cue...", "appears in its complete form in this cue..", "quoted briefly in these cues...", etc.

Then I also like when they point out the major difference in an alternate or extra track.

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

My La-La Land package arrived - the first surprise is that I don't have to pay any customs, the second surprise is that LLL doesn't have those cheap jewel cases any more - wonderful!

And I have a feeling there will be more surprises once you listen to the music!

6 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

My La-La Land package arrived - the first surprise is that I don't have to pay any customs, the second surprise is that LLL doesn't have those cheap jewel cases any more - wonderful!

How is that youndidnt have to pay customs? Maybe now you pay tax in LLL and they pay the customs office?

I finally got my parcel today (order placed through SAE on 29th of November).
Bad surprise: they put a note in the parcel to advise that one title (Jurassic Park) wasn't available and now out of print, so it couldn't be shipped. I just checked the original order email and my credit card statement, I still got charged the full amount...
Madness...

(Jurassic Park out of print and no more available on SAE already??? 5000 copies???and it can even still be ordered on their website...).

So it's just that SAE has no more copies of it.

Just ask them if they plan to get more copies or ask them for a refund, if they can't... then order it directly from LLL.

5 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Just ask them if they plan to get more copies or ask them for a refund, if they can't... then order it directly from LLL.

Surely this is what I am planning to do. But I am sharing this awful customer's experience which is nearly shocking: a notification on a piece of paper? really? in 2022/2023? A title still in print and available to order on your website and you don't have it for good? And you still charge me the whole amount with no problem? Goodbye SAE.

9 hours ago, Bespin said:

Yes. Just email Katie. She is the manager there. She will have this sorted out in a jiffy. You probably get a refund soon.

11 hours ago, Amer said:

Yes. Just email Katie. She is the manager there. She will have this sorted out in a jiffy. You probably get a refund soon.

Thanks for the advice. Not sure how to get in touch with her directly. I had already emailed them on orders@....com inbox, will try this route if I don't get a response shortly.