Nino Rota's THE GODFATHER (1972) - NEW! 2-CD Expanded Edition from La-La Land Records (2022)

Jay

55 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

My wallet is really hurting with this Black Friday batch!

*Your* wallet? I've got a backlog spanning about half a years' worth of releases, to save on shipping costs. I expect it's going to be a €300+ (if not €400+) order this time… :crymore:

2 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Don’t see his name mentioned here! Could he have been referring to The ‘Burbs?

Yavar

well I half-nailed it with predicting the expanded score release 😂

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Dan Goldwasser says

The original recorded tracks sound absolutely pristine - the 1972 OST was not reflective of the quality of the recording. Chris did an excellent job on the mix, and Doug Schwartz did a wonderful job on the mastering.

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=149830&forumID=1&archive=0

Excellent news! 

As some of have expressed above, it is about time we got a complete film score release of this classic score.

12 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Excellent news! 

As some of have expressed above, it is about time we got a complete film score release of this classic score.

Yes, this is one of the essential film scores!

I’m happy that the source music from the wedding is included.

I'm not super familiar with this score, and while I have seen the three films, that was a long time ago now.

I was looking at the tracklist, and assumed the *s were for previously unreleased stuff, until I saw that they were for unused in the film stuff!  Wow!  Nino Rota wrote a ton of stuff that Coppola did not use, eh?  There's a * or ** on 20 out of the 29 main program tracks!  This release looks quite revelatory!

For the second film, did Rota write a significant amount of new material, or was it largely cues from the first reused or reworked?

Would there be a cue assembly/slate list (a la Intrada) in the booklet?  @Jay I don't know if you would know, hence the ask.  [Sidebar--I know it's not the norm for LLL, but it was featured in the Mystery Men booklet].  Carry on.

And yes, the original pst sounded a bit muffled.  Granted that's yesteryear technology, so a pristine, crisp version is most welcome.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

I'm not super familiar with this score, and while I have seen the three films, that was a long time ago now.

I was looking at the tracklist, and assumed the *s were for previously unreleased stuff, until I saw that they were for unused in the film stuff!  Wow!  Nino Rota wrote a ton of stuff that Coppola did not use, eh?  There's a * or ** on 20 out of the 29 main program tracks!  This release looks quite revelatory!

For the second film, did Rota write a significant amount of new material, or was it largely cues from the first reused or reworked?

The second score has a lot of new thematic material (the immigrant theme and Kay’s theme being the most prominent) so I don’t think there’s much recycling from the first score.

I’m really curious about all the unused cues and wonder if there is unused stuff for the second score as well.

Looking at the bonus cues  

Manhattan Serenade after Connie's wedding when we pan and see Hollywood

Tarantella, Mazurka, Foxtrot all play at Connie's Wedding

The Loneliness plays after Michael Shoots Salazo and a newspaper montage plays

Lucky When we see Las Vegas 

Connie's wedding must contain Every time I Look In Your Eyes which that one is not separate.

The Last two tracks play during Michael and Apollonia wedding 

Still missing is Libiamo , Mona Lisa and For He's A Jolly Good Fellow these can be easily ripped from the 5.1 without SFX

On 26/11/2022 at 12:41 PM, Jay said:

IIRC the second film has a less conventional score and mainly uses source music, but I do remember two lovely themes specifically composed for the Ellis Island arrival and for the character of Hyman Roth

It's definitely because watching The Godfather over and over at 14 (after reading the book first!) was such a formative experience, but "Manhattan Serenade" remains to this day one of my favorite needle drops in any movie ever.  It perfectly accentuates the juxtaposition of the cloistered cultural enclave of the wedding with the outside world, going from tarantellas to swing.  Also it's just a damn catchy tune and I'm a sucker for that late 30s/early 40s smooth pop swing of bands like Dorsey and Shaw.

3 hours ago, Score said:

Franco Sciannameo wrote the book "Nino Rota's The Godfather Trilogy - A Film Score Guide". For his researches, he had the permission to see Nino Rota's manuscript scores for all the Godfather movies from two different archives, and at the end of the book he lists all the cues that he has found (including slate numbers), specifying those which were recorded but not used in the films. I think it's quite a comprehensive list, possibly complete (there, one can find all the track titles of the LaLaLand release of the first score). The answer to your question is: yes, there is some recorded but unused stuff also for the second score. 

Great info!

Gotta admit, I don't like the cover art.  I understand it's gotta differentiate itself, but this is just ugly.  The simplicity of just the logo on black is so iconic, I wish they had just stuck with that and added '50th Anniversary' text at the top or bottom or something.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know who performed/arranged/conducted the version of "Manhattan Serenade" on disc 2? When I ripped the disc into iTunes, it listed the main artist as Tommy Dorsey & His Orchestra, but I have a feeling this may be incorrect, as I looked that version up online and it is quite different. The booklet only lists the composer and lyricist. Could it be an original Carmine Coppola arrangement, done specifically for the film?

7 hours ago, Trope said:

Does anyone know who performed/arranged/conducted the version of "Manhattan Serenade" on disc 2? When I ripped the disc into iTunes, it listed the main artist as Tommy Dorsey & His Orchestra, but I have a feeling this may be incorrect, as I looked that version up online and it is quite different. The booklet only lists the composer and lyricist. Could it be an original Carmine Coppola arrangement, done specifically for the film?

The author of the arrangement is Peter King.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, he really put the main title on his OST program 3 times, eh?  Interesting choice!

Thanks for that breakdown, that's really interesting to see!

35 minutes ago, Jay said:

Wow, he really put the main title on his OST program 3 times, eh?  Interesting choice!

Well, the same kind of slow solo trumpet arrangement of the waltz theme appears 3 times in the main program too, in Main Title, The Reunion and No Tears for Tessio. Those are definitely different takes, though, the ones on the OST are all the Main Title take, even if OST Track 1's mastered slightly differently than the other 2. It definitely helps to reinforce its iconic status.

• 8 months later...

KRFGaxC.png

I finally listened again to my assembly of this masterpiece and decided that it's still good, I'll stick with it.

I included the alternate Main Title between Main Title and Corleone Waltz, taking a lead from the OST since it's a great combination, works really well as an escalation.

My main concern with the LLL was that there's little setup to get into it, we just jump into the tense stuff pretty quickly - so I grouped the wedding source music and the arrangements that replaced the travel cues to the front, also moved the Christmas sillyness a bit earlier.

I looped and faded out Corleone Waltz #2 so that it plays 1.5 times, helps make it feel just a little more substantial, it's a good capper for the wedding section.

"The Family" is The Horse's Head (Trumpet Solo), reintroduces the darker sound of the main title before the next, lighter section starts.

Then I did a lot of small readjustments like finishing Halls of Fear with Armed and Ready and adding the alternate Bad Luck (renamed to "Phone Call") to buff that second tense section up, replaced Set the Meeting with the alternate for some variation, added This Loneliness to represent the diner scene, a deceiving bit of lightness following naturally enough from The Pickup (which follows up on the "travel motif" from the early lighter section) so that The Getaway can make all the more impact, and also moved The Aftermath here as a chapter closer.

Marriage is the OST version of Love Theme with the additional percussion and choir, I just couldn't get enough of it.

Also switched New Godfather with No Tears For Tessio, I thought the former was a better followup to Baptism.

End Credits is the alternate, no way can that Love Theme section in the middle be thrown out, and I prefer it to the OST version where I think the choir's a bit overdone.

• 2 weeks later...