Your Year in Music 2022 (Streaming Services Recaps)

Disco Stu

It's that time of year where the streaming services provide recaps of your year in listening.

Youtube Music has started doing this in addition to Spotify so I can participate this year.

The streaming service is not my primary listening outlet (that would be my personal library of local digital music files), so this is far from a complete picture of my listening habits.

But the percentages are probably about right!  In terms of minutes streamed, for people like me who listen to so much classical, it would be cool if they could group it by composer instead of just artist.

image.png

image.png

image.png

According to Spotify, my top 5 artists this year were:

1. Danny Elfman
  2. JNH
  3. John Williams
  4. Bear McCreary
  5. Thomas Newman

Elfman took the lead because when his Dr Strange 2 score was released, I binged quite a bit of some of his older scores available there that I haven't heard before.

On Spotify it gave me a list of my top 100 favorite songs this year (and it's STILL The Enterprise from Star Trek: The Motion Picture because of the Director's Edition!). Is there some place where it tells me top artists?

(Interestingly Krypto the Superdog by Steve Jablonsky took second spot!)

I’m quite the anime fan and I tend to relisten to the same tracks over and over again. Surprisingly “Don’t Look Up” had the most played track for me but I genuinely adore that score. I also listened to a lot of Floyd and Kanye. And of course Johnny W.

03962C4F-A40C-43DF-84CB-3517907DD35D.png

18F416BC-D9FC-4FE1-8B78-D5C5CAFE778F.png

A3CCC1DA-7279-479F-ABD8-0136C71F21E2.png

AA30F59F-E2AC-4DF5-A949-6AA61BDFFD23.png

5 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

It's that time of year where the streaming services provide recaps of your year in listening.

Youtube Music has started doing this in addition to Spotify so I can participate this year.

The streaming service is not my primary listening outlet (that would be my personal library of local digital music files), so this is far from a complete picture of my listening habits.

But the percentages are probably about right!  In terms of minutes streamed, for people like me who listen to so much classical, it would be cool if they could group it by composer instead of just artist.

image.png

image.png

image.png

If JW streamed, his might very well look similar to yours.  

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

JW doesn't listen to rock. Or independent music. Or other soundtracks for that matter.

I am sure he listens to Toto occasionally.  Whether he thinks it is good or not, well I suppose you need to ask him.  

I just tried Spotify Wrapped and the video was an overthought, tedious piece of shit, designed solely to try to get more people to use the app and to share a video.

I just about managed to screengrab my top artists.

For context (aside from JNH and Gia):

• Cornelia Jakobs was an entry in this year's Eurovision and I really like a few of her other songs
  • Dua Lipa is my current #1 favourite artist.
  • I have no idea how I managed to listen to Obi Wan that much. I can only imagine that I listened to it a lot more before buying than with other 2022 scores.

McCreary would be on here but I was listening to RoP on Amazon, not Spotify.

image.jpeg

Well, no surprises here, really. OK, Rogue One but no Star Wars or Solo was a bit odd.

Well here's my top 10 artists

image.png

And my top 13 albums (I went to 13 since it included 3 different editions of Star Trek: The Motion Picture).

image.png

I don’t listen to classical and film music on Spotify.  Only once in a great while if I want to sample something.  And I’m currently on a Williams sabbatical, the only time I listened to him this year was when I saw him in concert, the Obi-Wan theme and I did give Fabelmans a listen on Spotify while I wait for the CD to arrive.

0C33D2B8-1F20-4FD7-86E2-2D72422CAB8C.jpeg

I wish I had info on it, but I just listen to local music files. However, I can see that this is my most-played track that was new to me in 2022:

Though I imagine my year-end list would probably be the score from The Rings of Power, The Handmaid's Tale, House of the Dragon, and God of War Ragnarök

On 30/11/2022 at 8:10 PM, mrbellamy said:

Looks like my 2022 claim to fame is being in the top 1% of Aimee Mann fans

Keep it down now.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Not music related, but did anyone else here also spend a lot of time on Reddit this year? I did.

reddit recap 2.png

I didn't. JWFan and Film Score Monthly are about as wild as I can handle.

I was also in the top 1% of karma earners in reddit this year, which maybe says more about how many spam/bot accounts they have there then anything else, idk

I always knew her as just some country music teenage star until I discovered years and years later that some of my favorite radio pop hits were by her. 1989 is a fantastic album, and Midnights is even better.

I vibe with the synth soundscape throughout. Not to mention it’s a concept album too. Can never have too many of those.

• 3 months later...
15 hours ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

Finally got around to checking this. Maybe this is why I'm single:

Nah. I got married. Even have kids. And my top track was The Enterprise from Star Trek: The Motion Picture. My second top track? The Enterprise from Star Trek: The Motion Picture - Director's Edition.