DID JOHN WILLIAMS COMPOSE THE IJ DIAL OF DESTINY TRAILER MUSIC?

Amvanquish

Surely there are some musicians who worked on IJ Dial of Destiny who can clarify if John Williams did the trailer music.

if John didn’t compose it , what music production company did and who was the orchestrator composer ?

it does sound remarkably similar in its orchestrations  to the Harry Potter Prisoner of Azkaban trailer music 

Still not an answer Holko

And what would you then say if he had scored the trailer?

Its not that bad after you get through the tinkling piano and shimmering strings at 1.00.

In composition speak it’s called building to the payoff - the knowledge we are probably witnessing the last Indiana Jones film ,the last time we see Harrison Ford in the role - and of course John Williams final outing for it too

Again you don’t have the answer just supposition.

And I have to say sometimes it’s not “obvious”

I’ve worked in the U.K. film industry at all levels so I have a bit of an idea how it works !

SO WHO DID IT????

Thats the question I’m asking ?

Come forward those who know either from the scoring stage or a trailer house and prove it to us who scored the trailer !     

We can all say yes or no but where’s the evidence?

Its still not answering the question

Did John Williams compose the trailer music , if not , who did????????

if I was in the US working within the industry , I would have got to the bottom of it within minutes but being in the U.K. even with my contacts at Abbey Road and Air Studios , knowledge is limited

I would confidently say he didn't on the basis that it just doesn't sound like him stylistically. It might be a bit harder for casual folk, but it generally takes enough knowledge to tell when it's him versus when it's a trailer house playing with his material. It helps that the few bits of trailer music he's actually done (HP1, the TFA teaser) feel more like extensions of the scores proper than something that clashes with them in feel. Besides, the observation that it would've used the new thematic material is spot on.

But since I'm predicting this also won't be a satisfactory answer, I'm sure whoever did make the trailer music will tweet about it soon enough. Generally seems to happen with newer blockbusters at the very least.

I take no joy in diminishing the work of other composers, but this trailer music is definitely not Williams'. The arrangement isn't characteristic of Williams' usual style of writing, and the recording is clearly a MIDI mockup - not a live orchestral performance. Further, if Williams had written the music we definitely would have heard about it - it would be a selling point of the trailer. This is exactly what happened with TFA.

1 hour ago, Amvanquish said:

I’ve worked in the U.K. film industry at all levels so I have a bit of an idea how it works !

SO WHO DID IT????

Doesn't matter how many times you ask - the answer's going to be the same - most of the time the film's composer has nothing to do with the trailer music and that unless the trailer house mentions somewhere, or a composer tweets, we have no more idea than you will about who wrote it.

It’s integrated into the individual page for each movie - so if you search for any movie, the trailer music information will be on it (assuming Soundtrack.net has logged it).

For instance, here’s the panel on the page for The Phantom Menace 57E489B4-0A43-4258-BF15-7D462AB963C7.jpeg

The answer is no.

We don't have the proof yet because the trailer just came out. It will undoubtedly be shared on a trailer music house's social media or website and will at least be credited to one of them in due time.

I've reached out to the trailer's editorial team for an answer. We'll see if they respond.

Question: When was the last time Williams was confirmed to have done trailer music? Last I remember was the Force Awakens teaser. I don't believe he did any of the main trailers or any of the future Star Wars movies trailers is that correct?

Basically, I'm asking - if he hasn't done it for the last several iconic franchise movies he's been a part of why would he start up again now?

Well Tolkien , I think I do have an ear for music having followed John Williams consistently since 1972 after hearing The Poseidon Adventure.

I have a vast music library ( vinyl, tape , CD and streamed )of Korngold, Steiner , Tiompkin ,  Williams , Goldsmith, Horner , Barry , Zimmer , Arnold,  Goodwin , Walton,  Jarre, Morricone  etc etc etc to name but a few . And yes Williams to me tops the lot.

What right have you got to say I don’t have an ear for music?

My tastes range from Opera , to the Classics and  to modern pop and rock

I am merely asking the question if John Williams composed the trailer music and if not who did?

And let me just say that perfectly capable composers who compose exceptionally good music for computer games are employed for trailer music . . I’ve met them at awards ceremonies for BAFTA.

Are you putting down budding composers who don’t have an ear for music either ?

I think I would have questioned the trailer music if the Indy music had not been included .

Also experience of the film industry and its workings should never be put down .

Years ago when JWFan was set up in the mid nineties I did furnish it with insider information that I was privy to .

Ask Tim Burden who I am and then you’ll know!!!

1 hour ago, TSMefford said:

Question: When was the last time Williams was confirmed to have done trailer music? Last I remember was the Force Awakens teaser.

Am I thinking of different TFA trailer music when the only thing that comes to mind is the hyped-up Han and Leia/Force Theme track?

5 hours ago, TolkienSS said:

It's no big deal not having an ear for music, but listen to those who have. 

Having "worked in the film industry" doesn't give you an ear for film music.

Curious to know what credentials you have which give you an 'ear for music'?

In a way, I'm glad I don't have whatever they are, as it clearly allows me to enjoy far more music than you do.

So we should all use Penna and Datameister as the benchmark for qualifying any music of any kind and as to whether it’s any good or not.

Well once you’ve  watched thousands of films as part of your job and you listen to the music before anybody else does , been on hundreds of set visits and recording sessions and talked with producers, directors ,actors/actresses and musicians  , in your eyes that obviously doesn’t qualify you for anything then when building your experience and knowledge.

I didn’t say I can’t tell you whether it was him . Not knowing is not a qualification and as you don’t know either - you cannot own the word qualify.

I would like to know who did it and as Thor has diplomatically pointed out , it will no doubt come to light.

Neither you or I should have egg on our faces making claims about its validity .

If Williams composed it - fine - then you can criticise it but as you or I don’t have the info yet  - let’s just wait and see who comes forward which is what I am asking - BECAUSE I DONT KNOW AND NEITHER DO YOU!!!

This is a rather pointless thread, isn't it?

JW didn't write the trailer music. He wrote the main Indiana Jones themes in 1981, and then some underpaid young composer working for a trailer house company under an excruciating deadline re-worked those themes into the music you hear in the trailer.

36 minutes ago, Stark said:

Epic trailer musicTM is simply never by the original composer any good.

This thread reminds me of the "please Mr Thau, create in CGI the villains destroy the world sequence" thread from a Superman forum circa the announcement of the SII RD cut.

"Please Mr. Williams, create in MiDi the epic trailer version of the Raiders film music song."

And what's with the ALL CAPS thread title OP?

3 hours ago, Amvanquish said:

Well Tolkien , I think I do have an ear for music having followed John Williams consistently since 1972 after hearing The Poseidon Adventure.

I have a vast music library ( vinyl, tape , CD and streamed )of Korngold, Steiner , Tiompkin ,  Williams , Goldsmith, Horner , Barry , Zimmer , Arnold,  Goodwin , Walton,  Jarre, Morricone  etc etc etc to name but a few . And yes Williams to me tops the lot.

What right have you got to say I don’t have an ear for music?

My tastes range from Opera , to the Classics and  to modern pop and rock

I am merely asking the question if John Williams composed the trailer music and if not who did?

And let me just say that perfectly capable composers who compose exceptionally good music for computer games are employed for trailer music . . I’ve met them at awards ceremonies for BAFTA.

Are you putting down budding composers who don’t have an ear for music either ?

I think I would have questioned the trailer music if the Indy music had not been included .

Also experience of the film industry and its workings should never be put down .

Years ago when JWFan was set up in the mid nineties I did furnish it with insider information that I was privy to .

Ask Tim Burden who I am and then you’ll know!!!

Shawn, is that you?

10 hours ago, Amvanquish said:

Surely there are some musicians who worked on IJ Dial of Destiny who can clarify if John Williams did the trailer music.

if John didn’t compose it , what music production company did and who was the orchestrator composer ?

it does sound remarkably similar in its orchestrations  to the Harry Potter Prisoner of Azkaban trailer music 

AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAAAHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!

ROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAO

Good one!

Yavar

Yeah, there's some real troll energy to this thread, intentionally or otherwise.

@Amvanquish if you truly started this thread with the expectation that no one but the composer reply, I'm not sure what to tell you. This is actually a fan site, so the fans tend to chat.

The piano start does evoke the same feel and style as The Force Awakens full Trailer. I wouldn't be too surprised if it turned out to be the same folks. Same kind of sparse atmosphere with single piano notes.