DID JOHN WILLIAMS COMPOSE THE IJ DIAL OF DESTINY TRAILER MUSIC?

Amvanquish

4 minutes ago, Biodome said:

Most of the modern trailer music has become so formulaic and banal, that I wouldn't be surprised if you could repurpose one of those GPT-3 neural networks to mass-produce trailer music, and nobody would notice that anything was off. John Williams has too much decency to even think about touching that industry. And on the rare occasion that he does write trailer music, it would be clearly advertised, and you would be able to hear actual quality music in the trailer.

I think that's literally true. I enjoy some trailer music, but formulaic is the perfect word.

1 hour ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

What do you wish to see subverted? 

Just make more media that isn't factory assembled blockbusters from the big studios. It's a word that definitely has been abused as a result of certain movies/shows driving a few up the wall, but it's more unique to actually make stories about the things some mainstream efforts advertise themselves to be than the superficial fluff it ends up actually being. You sure as hell won't see Disney do anything proper with the occasional overt progressive aesthetic as a result of wanting to appease key international territories, so it might not hurt to give it a go if some people have decided they're fully in the weeds anyway despite what the material ultimately contains. Blame the hack writers instead of the ideas themselves if that's the issue.

8 hours ago, Thor said:

Shhhhh, easy does it.

Whoever composed the trailer music will be revealed in due time.

I have super duper extra ultra secret sources telling me the “GOAT of all time” composer Samuel Kim wrote this!  My sources are totally real and true, I can’t say my source though cause he’ll get in super big doo doo if I reveal his identity!

15 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

All of the trailer music is obviously being written by Jacob Ceelasler, additional composer extraordinaire.

I thought trailer music for big budget movies these days is mostly written by Lorne Balfe's protegées Heywood Japulmah Finga, I. C. Yadick and Luke Atmyass.

Just now, Datameister said:

Aside from the silliness of this thread, this is a somewhat interesting conversation. I think the disconnect is the idea that a trailer should give a "bite-sized representation of what your film is actually like." For the folks making the trailers, I'm sure the only goal is to make people want to see the film. (Especially, but not exclusively, people who are more likely to enjoy the film.) So that becomes sort of a game of one-upmanship—whose trailer will be the most epic? hilarious? scary? dramatic? And part of that is the music. It's an arms race for the trailer tropes that most effectively entice the largest numbers of people into the theater. (Or onto the subscription streaming service, or whatever.) Any decent film composer knows you have to hold back in a lot of places to craft a score that really supports the film; any decent trailer music composer knows you have to keep up with the Joneses to keep getting work. Or in this case, you have to help the Joneses keep up with over-the-top adventure movie trailers everyone else is making. (I don't think they were successful with this one, but the proof will be in the box office pudding.)

Yep. It's the unfortunate reality of it. This sort of thing is how we get trailer tropes and trends that just flood the market.

For example, when Suicide Squad did their guns blazing and bullets firing to the rhythm of "Bohemian Rhapsody", you bet we started getting tons of trailers using a popular song and having sound effects match the rhythm. Who can do the best one?! You're absolutely right.

The type of music cue in the Indiana Jones trailer is just another one of these kinds of trends. I'd like to hope they're running out of these to do, but I'd be wrong.

1 minute ago, TSMefford said:

Yep. It's the unfortunate reality of it. This sort of thing is how we get trailer tropes and trends that just flood the market.

For example, when Suicide Squad did their guns blazing and bullets firing to the rhythm of "Bohemian Rhapsody", you bet we started getting tons of trailers using a popular song and having sound effects match the rhythm. Who can do the best one?! You're absolutely right.

The type of music cue in the Indiana Jones trailer is just another one of these kinds of trends. I'd like to hope they're running out of these to do, but I'd be wrong.

It would be interesting to extrapolate forward. Given an infinite amount of time, eventually the human race would stumble upon a trailer format so irresistible that the entire population of the universe would show up. That would be peak trailer. (It would probably be unbearable, but it would work.)

Just now, Datameister said:

It would be interesting to extrapolate forward. Given an infinite amount of time, eventually the human race would stumble upon a trailer format so irresistible that the entire population of the universe would show up. That would be peak trailer. (It would probably be unbearable, but it would work.)

Lol. I'd love to see that.

I do always wonder what the next trend is going to be. I have to say I'm glad we seem to moving away from the "stutter" shots a little bit (those shots that flash several quick frames of black accenting with a glitch effect and a bass drop in the music) as I really hate those - especially on a big screen. They're also mildly annoying the do in edits as well.

Pop culture is truly plumbing new depths when the trailer music for the final installment of a decades-old, globally beloved franchise sounds absolutely no different than those silly, fan-made "updated" trailers for classic movies.

Seriously, listen this bilge:

Then listen to the IJ DOD trailer:

Then tell me the music for both of these wasn't thrown together in GarageBand by some 14-yr-old kid. I dare ya.

51 minutes ago, WampaRat said:

Every trailer trope of the last 10 years was wonderfully combined in this Auralnauts video. Funny how the industry doesn’t realize it’s parodying itself now.

This is priceless. Bless you for bringing it to my attention. 🤗. (I wonder if anyone else visualized Zack Synder’s godforsaken DCEU movies while this was playing…)

1 hour ago, WampaRat said:

Every trailer trope of the last 10 years was wonderfully combined in this Auralnauts video. Funny how the industry doesn’t realize it’s parodying itself now.

I love that video. I'll quibble a bit—I'm sure anyone involved in making these is very aware of the cliches. There are probably in-house terms for all of them. No one producing this stuff can possibly think they're trailblazing auteurs. (It's cool, I'm not a trailblazing auteur either.)

7 hours ago, Datameister said:

This sentence definitely gives me "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" vibes!

9 hours ago, Datameister said:

For the folks making the trailers, I'm sure the only goal is to make people want to see the film. (Especially, but not exclusively, people who are more likely to enjoy the film.)

I'm not so sure of that even. Producers pay money for trailers, and the *only* point of them (since there's clearly no artistic point to most of them these days) is to increase the income generated by the film. The natural conclusion would be that trailers are made primarily not for those who are going to see the film anyway, but those who might not and could be convinced by the trailer. At worst, that means a trailer completely mis-representing its film to draw people who will pay to see it even though they won't like it.

8 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

So my friend is doing the music for the second trailer coming out next month, and it's going to be about the Nazis from the first trailer, so they used the Nazi motif from TLC. He sent me a short preview of it:

Woah. For real?

3 minutes ago, Gabriel Bezerra said:

Pemberton commented on it and a few trailer composers shared their thoughts as well:

Yeah, at this point I don't think anyone actually likes composing that kind of music.  Just marketing people who are terrified of deviating from the same tried and true formula