DID JOHN WILLIAMS COMPOSE THE IJ DIAL OF DESTINY TRAILER MUSIC?

Amvanquish

15 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

This thread is a hoot 😅

I assume op is someone’s alter ego on the wind up?

My first thought as well … although if it is, props for playing the long game. Check out their post history before this thread.

35 minutes ago, Datameister said:

My first thought as well … although if it is, props for playing the long game. Check out their post history before this thread.

Suspicious also that despite boasting about working at all levels in the industry, they haven't picked up that trailers don't get scored by the composer.

And posting in all caps, or 'shouting'. I want so badly to believe it's a deliberate troll.

I understand that people might like trailer music because it reminds them of the "epic" parts of the movie that they saw in it (and for probably some other reasons), but all original trailer "scores" for movies just sound like they're selling the movie out, and that makes me cringe every time

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

I normally defend a lot of trailer music as I often like that sort of thing if it's done well, but boy, whoever decided that a really simplistic synth version of the march with chord changes was better than just tracking in the actual Raiders March, made a spectacularly bad call.

It can't be budgetary reasons surely, as the studio owns the music anyway (right?), and this is a trailer for flipping Indiana Jones!

I'm sure it's got nothing to do with budget. Just a terrible stylistic choice intended to sell more tickets. Somehow.

Fun fact: I was once asked years ago to do a "trailerized" arrangement of Annie Lisle for a college campus that uses it for their Alma Mater.

I definitely made sure that it checks off plenty of tropes. Enjoy. I particularly dislike the uninspired percussion listening back to this years later, but maybe that adds to the "trailer" vibe? Lol

5 hours ago, Damien F said:

I live in the same neighbourhood and I can confirm this is true. When I heard the trailer music being played during the party, I submitted a noise complaint to the police.

THAT WAS YOU!!! I’m a member of the HOA, your life is about to get miserable!

2 hours ago, Biodome said:

I decided to settle the argument with a conclusive proof that John Williams wrote the trailer music. I simply asked ChatGPT, the world's most knowledgeable AI chat bot:

UPDATE: After voicing my doubts to the chat bot regarding its last reply, it suddenly decided that Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny is a non-existent film, and, thus, no trailer, let alone trailer music, exists for it:

That AI's behaviour would definitely pass the Turing test!

What trailer music did Williams compose in his career, anyway? Hook, I think. Philosopher's Stone, certainly. Anything else? I remember us having discussions here about some of the trailers for the sequel trilogy.

In fact, it's possible that the snippets of the Force theme in this trailer are taken from the cue that JW wrote for this trailer, only they're pitch-shifted. 
So, Williams was asked to write the music for the finished trailer, and then somebody "trailerized" it. Interesting approach...  

4 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Yup, the Nixon trailer cue made it into the original soundtrack.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

So did Hook's

Those might be the most essential teaser/trailer stuff he's done. After all, they are both openers to their respective soundtrack album.

Honestly the trailer itself is great and the first music part before the Indy Theme kicks in works quite well (even though it fulfills all the standard generic trailer music tropes).

But the Indy Theme in this slowed and spread out version with this low budget synth brass is a major head scratcher.

The major behind the scenes drama at Disney and chaos at Lucasfilm seem to continue to result in these ongoing quality hickups that should have never passed the upper management.

6 hours ago, ragoz350 said:

In fact, it's possible that the snippets of the Force theme in this trailer are taken from the cue that JW wrote for this trailer, only they're pitch-shifted. 
So, Williams was asked to write the music for the finished trailer, and then somebody "trailerized" it. Interesting approach...  

Nah, that's just from the OT.

19 hours ago, Biodome said:

I decided to settle the argument with a conclusive proof that John Williams wrote the trailer music. I simply asked ChatGPT, the world's most knowledgeable AI chat bot:

Screenshot_2022-12-04-05-48-33-269-edit_com.brave.browser.jpg

UPDATE: After voicing my doubts to the chat bot regarding its last reply, it suddenly decided that Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny is a non-existent film, and, thus, no trailer, let alone trailer music, exists for it:

Screenshot_2022-12-04-05-50-27-934-edit_com.brave.browser.jpg

Looks like the Dial actually works after all.  

• 1 month later...
On 2/12/2022 at 3:32 AM, Amvanquish said:

Surely there are some musicians who worked on IJ Dial of Destiny who can clarify if John Williams did the trailer music.

if John didn’t compose it , what music production company did and who was the orchestrator composer ?

it does sound remarkably similar in its orchestrations  to the Harry Potter Prisoner of Azkaban trailer music 

I did

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...