[POLL] Favorite Menken Disney Score?

Disco Stu

[POLL] Favorite Menken Disney Score?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Alan Menken score for Disney?

• The Little Mermaid (1989)
    • Beauty and the Beast (1991)
    • Newsies (1992)
    • Aladdin (1992)
    • Pocahontas (1995)
    • The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996)
    • Hercules (1997)
    • Home on the Range (2004)
    • The Shaggy Dog (2006)
    • Enchanted (2007)
    • Tangled (2010)

I'm 85% certain that Hunchback will win so I have to admit I'm only doing this poll because I'm curious to see how many other people have the objectively correct opinion that Pocahontas is his best work.

I've casually listened to all of these, and The Little Mermaid was what stood out as being the one that I enjoyed the most. I'll try revisiting Pocahontas this week and see if my opinion changes, since I see a number of people have that chosen as the best one. 

I’d say Pocahontas is probably a more consistent listening experience. The finale in that one still gives me chills. But the sheer power of Hunchback tips the scales for me. I cannot wait for the inevitable half-baked live action remake just so we can get Menken taking another crack at that score.

Idk. I can wait. Menken’s redos of Beauty and Aladdin leave me cold. Hunchback has gotten enough love over the years.

Well, not exactly enough. It should have gotten enough love to treat its legacy collection with respect but besides that, I need nothing else.

15 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Yes.  Score in the Broadway sense of the word.

Hercules then. It's not an easy choice, and with Menken I'm mainly in for the songs (instrumental score-wise, Tangled is possibly my favourite). Little MermaidAladdinBeauty and the Beast, and Pocahontas are all strong contenders. But Hercules is definitely underrated. The lyrics are brilliant (sorry, Howard Ashman), the gospel muses are stroke of genius, and on top of that it's got what may be the best love song in the Disney canon.

9 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm 85% certain that Hunchback will win so I have to admit I'm only doing this poll because I'm curious to see how many other people have the objectively correct opinion that Pocahontas is his best work.

Me. Hunchback may arguably have slightly higher highs, but Pocahontas is the more consistent and unified masterpiece.

Yavar

6 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Yes.  Score in the Broadway sense of the word.

Oh. Much tougher decision then. I guess I'll still give it to Mermaid. But Hercules, Pocahontas, Beauty and the Beast, and Aladdin are all stiff competition.

For me, Hunchback is a strange mixture of the stunningly brilliant and the stunningly mundane. Neither Tangled nor Enchanted reaches such heights, but they're still fantastic. 

I would judge a score for a musical by the arrangements of the instrumental portions as well as how much new material not based on song melodies is supplied for the score.

On that criterion, Aladdin is most interesting to me.

6 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Is there anyone who actually likes Home on the Range? Even as a kid I thought that movie was lame. Among the crappy mid-2000s Disney animations, Chicken Little was much more entertaining.

At that point, I was tuning out from Menken along with his fade on superstar heaven in general. I was also well into my 20s. But he'll always be a star to me due to that string of amazing classics from 1989 to 1997. He's also one of my top 3 of living film composers I haven't interviewed yet. Gutted me that I had to cancel my trip to Vienna in September, to see him live.

15 hours ago, Edmilson said:

The choir singing "The Colors of the Wind" in the Finale always bring a tear to my eye.

I always wonder what the words would have been if it had lyrics like the previous three movies.

• 2 weeks later...

Menken is actually such a big deal of a composer that his presence on a movie was used as one of its primary marketing hooks :lol:

Just look at this trailer:

Unfortunately it didn't work, as the movie bombed harshly at the box office.