Neumation Music Publishing Updates

bruckhorn

Neumation Music publishing has sent out an e-mail listing it's upcoming titles:

Beetlejuice

The Goonies

For Your Eyes Only

Spider-Man 2

No target dates for releases and includes a caveat that other releases might pop up. 

Cover art provided appeared to be movie poster art and should be considered placeholders.  (My editorializing.)

Steve Bartek suggested Spider-Man 2, so that narrowed down the choice between the two. Both Spider-Man scores are exceptional examples of early 2000's Elfman. Either would have been solid choices. 

Yes, the images in the newsletter are only placeholders. Our illustrator is hard at work on bespoke art. We have no plans to use theatrical poster art or stills for our publications, though there may be an exception or two in the future. We made the choice early on to commission new art that is more in line with our branding. 

These are all in the proofreading phase. A few smaller publications may be interspersed, such as Les Baxter's "The Passions." After engraving 2000 pages the past few months, the proofreading and layout phases are taking a more leisurely pace than originally intended. Slow and steady...

12 minutes ago, neumation said:

Steve Bartek suggested Spider-Man 2, so that narrowed down the choice between the two. Both Spider-Man scores are exceptional examples of early 2000's Elfman. Either would have been solid choices. 

Yes, the images in the newsletter are only placeholders. Our illustrator is hard at work on bespoke art. We have no plans to use theatrical poster art or stills for our publications, though there may be an exception or two in the future. We made the choice early on to commission new art that is more in line with our branding. 

These are all in the proofreading phase. A few smaller publications may be interspersed, such as Les Baxter's "The Passions." After engraving 2000 pages the past few months, the proofreading and layout phases are taking a more leisurely pace than originally intended. Slow and steady...

Will the Christopher Young cues be included?

1 minute ago, Gibster said:

Will the Christopher Young cues be included?

There is some red tape involved with putting multiple composers work in a single book. Those cues may be available separately, at a later date. We are pondering digital releases or supplemental print publications for odds and ends that don’t make it into the books. 

• 5 months later...
4 hours ago, Jay said:

Isn't the Elfman/Burton box expansion complete? 

image.png

Oh, I didn't know.. Perhaps someone who knows the score best, can tell us?

edit: I counted 52 cues in the Neumation publication contents.

Here we have 36 tracks. Maybe some tracks combine cues, but I'm not sure, reading the titles. (Most of the times they correspond with the titles in the sheet music contents)

Even if it was, I'd love a standalone expansion very very much! It's sort of surprising that that one hasn't been tackled by a specialty label yet

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, bruckhorn said:

They have posted another “coming soon” title: John Barry’s The Last Valley.

https://neumation-music.com/products/john-barry-the-last-valley-in-full-score

I'm not familiar with this score.

I would love Barry's DANCES WITH WOLVES though..

On 02/03/2024 at 11:06 AM, Yavar Moradi said:

You should be. It’s one of Barry’s best and my personal favorite!

Yavar

I listened to the complete re-recording.

I'm afraid it didn't do much for me.

1 hour ago, filmmusic said:

I listened to the complete re-recording.

I'm afraid it didn't do much for me.

Fair enough. I’m glad to have it, but most fans of the score feel it’s not a particularly faithful rerecording as it was reconstructed by ear from the film (they didn’t access written scores for it). We strongly prefer the original album even though it’s shorter. The rerecording is also not even close to complete, as this new book dramatically reveals. It’s only “complete” in terms of what made it into the film but Barry wrote a ton more music than that and a NEW, actually complete recording needs to happen some day.

Yavar

Just now, Yavar Moradi said:

as it was reconstructed by ear from the film (they didn’t access written scores for it)

Hmmmm. I wonder then what this new Neumation book will be. Will it be the ear reconstruction or the original manuscripts engraved?

16 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Hmmmm. I wonder then what this new Neumation book will be. Will it be the ear reconstruction or the original manuscripts engraved?

17 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

The rerecording is also not even close to complete, as this new book dramatically reveals.

Shared at the John Barry group on Facebook:

Coming this spring from Neumation Music, the first John Barry study score publication: THE LAST VALLEY. Engraved from the recently recovered orchestrations by Bobby Richards.

Includes:

An introduction essay by Jon Burlingame.

A breakdown of all 48 cues explaining the various postproduction edits and unused/alternates.

The unused song lyrics.

This book has been in the works for quite awhile. We consulted all the production companies attached to the film and contacted the estates of the producers—no one could find a single scrap of paper from the production. What’s here is all that is known to exist. I was very happy to have had input from the late Gergeli Hubai shortly before his passing.

Coming much later will be an article about Bobby Richards with comments by his family and discussion of his work with Barry in his own words, excerpted from an archival recording!

And from @bruckhorn’s link which you quoted:

Thought for many years to be lost, the manuscripts were recently discovered. This edition is engraved from the original orchestrations by Bobby Richards.

Yavar

34 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

We will never publish transcriptions, an original manuscript is a requirement for all of our publications. 

The Nic Raine transcription is more of a reimagining of the score than it is an accurate representation of what Barry actually wrote. 

• 4 weeks later...

I just got my first Neumation book (Krull).

I wanted to ask, aren't these sealed like Omni and Chris Siddall's publications?

• 2 weeks later...