Quartet Records 2022: MARY, QUEEN OF SCOTS (John Barry)

Amer

1 hour ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Weird there are no replies on this yet — a major expansion of one of a top 10 Barry score!

It's a lot of very short cues and Barry is not exactly a composer where more is necessarily better. Even the old album was rather repetitive.

I am definitely interested in this and Frenzy. But due to both titles being released in generous numbers and shortage of funds it will have to wait until January. :)

Karol

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

For me already the re-recorded suite in my John Barry collection is enough.

IMG_20221209_181617~2.jpg

I am not a Barry completist.

Same for me, I have to mark a line somewhere, I can live with the excellent suite recorded by Nic Raine in 2001.

Secondary, 2 of 2

16 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Same for me, I have to mark a line somewhere, I can live with the excellent suite recorded by Nic Raine in 2001.

Secondary, 2 of 2

I guess, it is the exact same recording. Mine is Nic Raine as well. But it seems to be a different order.

• 5 weeks later...

Mike Matessino has answered a question about this in the fsm thread

I was curious about Quartet's press release statement "This CD marks the first release of the entire score, thanks to the recent discovery of previously unknown tape rolls in the Universal vaults".

Does this mean they discovered a better source for the album master tapes in the Universal vaults, or is it referring to the mono recording used for the movie mix? Either way, I am confused, as Intrada released the album a number of years ago, while the mono music mix was included on the DVD.

It was a new transfer of the album master, and for the full mono score I located 1/4" tapes with some of the score on it. We didn't have that at the time the Blu-Ray was done; that iso-track used a music stem.

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=149925&forumID=1&archive=0