Quartet 2022: FRENZY (Ron Goodwin / Henry Mancini)

Amer

17 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

No we need Jarre's Hitchcock score next!

That was already released (complete, I think) by Universal Music France in 2012: https://www.discogs.com/release/6651799-Maurice-Jarre-Topaz-LEtau

What we really need officially released is an expansion of Addison’s underrated Torn Curtain score (the 28 minute Decca album is all we have), paired with everything Herrmann recorded of his own score at the time of the film.

Oh. And an official release of the original Psycho recording, of course, plus any other Herrmann/Hitchcock original recordings which survive in the Universal vaults (no offense to the rerecordings).

Yavar

21 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

That was already released (complete, I think) by Universal Music France in 2012: https://www.discogs.com/release/6651799-Maurice-Jarre-Topaz-LEtau

I know, but that's not a good release and it's been OOP for several years. 

21 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

And an official release of the original Psycho recording

:up:

20 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

This is an interesting one. I remember liking the Goodwin main title, and I've always been curious about the Mancini score. I'll probably get this.

The Mancini idea for the main title (a Bach-like D-minor piece, very somber and foreboding) is sound, but Hitchcock changed his mind - probably because he felt he should offset the borderline sick vibe the movie gets into with the first long strangling scene. 

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I know, but that's not a good release and it's been OOP for several years. 

What’s wrong with the release? I admit I never purchased it because I’m not a big fan of the score.

Yavar

11 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Oh. And an official release of the original Psycho recording, of course

Whatever happened to this? I remember Stylotone released just the main title on LP, but nothing after that. Didn't we hear through the grapevine that Intrada might be working on it? Or am I confusing that with To Kill A Mockingbird?

• 2 weeks later...

That's right. I don't know. It might be 20 years ago that I had seen the movie. I just remember, I knew, that I was going to see a Hitchcock movie and that it was supposed to be some kind of murder story and somehow the main title felt out of place. Maybe I should watch it again. But I also remember, that I didn't like the movie. 

So, probably I should just enjoy the music.

Or wait. I just watch the opening again. The movie is part of some Hitchcock DVD Box, that I own.

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, thestat said:

The most elegant, most perverse 2 minutes of dark waltz composition, influencing 1000s of Goldsmith and Young compositions and there onwards.....

Ever since I first saw the film, this was my favorite cue in the score and the one I wanted most on album.

Yavar