John Williams' 2023/24 Concert Schedule

Ricard

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 14/02/2023 at 6:20 PM, daz said:

Does anyone know if this is legit? https://www.songkick.com/artists/204961-john-williams

Just trimming my post. Well not legit in that they are conducted by Williams. More, concerts that include his music.

• 1 month later...

He wasnt there obviously , but the Montreal Symphony Orchestra just had a beautiful JW concert the past two days, a top world orchestra playing seriously and not just for the pops :

Korngold - The Sea Hawk theme

Williams - Tuba Concerto

Williams - E.T « Flying theme »

Williams - Suite from Harry Potter (Hedwig’s Theme - The Sorcerer’s Stone - Fawkes the Phoenix - The Chamber of Secrets - Aunt Marge’s Waltz - The Knight Bus - Witches, Wands and Wizards - A Bridge to the Past - Harry’s Wondrous World)

Williams - Suite from Star Wars (Main Title - Princess Leia’s Theme - Throne Room & End Title)

Williams - The Empire Strikes Back « The Imperial March »

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/12/2022 at 3:33 PM, Ricard said:

Last updated: April 27, 2023

WASHINGTON, DC
‘John Williams and "The Presidents' Own"’

July 16, 2023
John F. Kennedy for the Performing Arts 
United States Marine Band conducted by Jason K. Fettig and JOHN WILLIAMS (Guest Conductor)

Performance details - Discussion thread

As I just posted in the discussion thread for this concert, the location of this concert is not "TBA".

On 2/5/2023 at 9:40 AM, thx99 said:

As I just posted in the discussion thread for this concert, the location of this concert is not "TBA".

And now it’s back to being at the Kennedy Center. 🤷‍♂️

• 1 month later...

That's a "concert concept" that's been going on for years all over the world, in various shapes and forms.

I attended one of those "versus" concerts at the Royal Albert Hall a few years ago with David Arnold and Michael Giacchino. Both in attendance on stage. It was great fun because they obviously lent into the humour of the occasion. This is what was on the stage before the concert began :lol:

image.png

On 29/6/2023 at 11:29 AM, Henry Sítrónu said:

lol WTF. 60 Musicians. 

IMG_2884.jpeg

What a dismaying thing to see. This will only serve to reinforce the completely false and unjustifiable equivalency between JW and Zimmer. How do you even pit the two against each other anyway? Zimmer’s name has been applied to countless scores principally written by his RCP factory minions, so the match-up is already fundamentally flawed. 

Obviously, the production of this concert will be done such that neither composer is made to look inferior to the other. Hence, like I said, the false equivalency will be reinforced—two titans of film scoring, their music featured on the same stage, their names to forever share the same rarefied pedestal, etc. At this rate, it’s going to take decades to unwind this baseless received wisdom.

Well, they ARE two titans of film scoring, despite our personal feelings on this board, and despite the differences in their musical style and creative process. They are the most recognizable and beloved names in their field. Which is a difficult thing to achieve, given that most people don't care about film scores or know many composers' names. And in the case of concerts like these, they're the names that can sell tickets. Maybe we should hope the John Williams half of the concert will be educational for some people in attendance  ;) 

9 hours ago, Brónach said:

wasn't this music in europe for centuries?

Until the Baroque period CENTURIES ago when Back, Vivaldi and others decided to actually take you on some form of journey through a musical landscape filled with themes and modulation and orchestration and it continued growing from then on. Zimmer comes from a pop background where he and others like him do not know how to do all that, hence the simplistic and to some people "hypnotic" quality of his efforts lull them into thinking he is some sort of musical wonder. He really is not, plus, who is actually writing his stuff? Do you know that on one of his nature scores, he was on tour, three other composers did all the work, he did not write one note, yet it is his name on it? And no, this is not second hand info, trust me on this or not, it is true. Not even the main theme was him. Don't get me started hehe

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, ciarlese said:

It says "John Williams in concert", but he won't be there, right?

https://bielefelder-philharmoniker.de/veranstaltung/john-williams-in-concert-1.html

They probably mean COMPOSER John Williams in concert.

This is the conductor - Alexander Kalajdzic

Alexander_Kalajdzic_9749.jpg

They've even got a gig in the Concertgebouw Amsterdam...

John Williams in Concert - The Concertgebouw

Hope nobody gets a heart attack.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank so much for sharing this schedule - very helpful for us the fans :lovethis: 
My special gratitude for sharing the list of concerts, where John Williams' music will be sounding around the world, as I'm from Europe and this list gives more opportunities to attend the concerts :) 
BTW there are some other orchestras performing popular scores - on October 27th, in Vienna, in famous Musikquartier :heart:, we'll be having a chance to listen to best scores from Harry Potter, performed by Simple Music Ensemble. Just in case if someone gets in Austria that day :unsure: 
Thank you again for the Master's agenda :up:

On 16/7/2023 at 11:15 AM, ocelot said:

A little anecdote. Years ago when one of the composers there, a friend of mine, was getting up higher a bit he said they heard my stuff and wanted me to join the Zimmer group. I was like cool, I don't mind, but wait, what was I supposed to do for my first year.... be Zimmer's Chauffeur. I'm sorry but what?! lol. I'm not a struggling composer, nor am I ever hard up for money, compared to most people I have plenty. I was like, I'll hire him a chauffeur myself. I am not driving my BMW M series Z4 coupe, which I had just bought, from my house in West Hollywood to Malibu everyday and put miles on it and then drive him to Santa Monica, every day and back just to show him I'm wanting to be a composer. Like how insane is that? Instead I worked for Chris Young, I did menial things sure, that's not a problem, you want me to pick up your dry cleaning because we're on a movie, or pick up the kids and get them home or get you cigarettes, no problem. I'm also taking down dictation and reviewing scenes and coming up with ideas for scenes and orchestrating while I do everything and learning so much and he got me my green card etc etc. But to just be a chauffeur for a year and nothing else?!  Thank you but WTF NO! ROFL :)

Oh please tell us more! You’ve got more stories, right? I love when we hoi polloi get to peek behind the curtain!

1 hour ago, Bayesian said:

Oh please tell us more! You’ve got more stories, right? I love when we hoi polloi get to peek behind the curtain!

HEHE, What's Hoi Polloi?

1 hour ago, ocelot said:

HEHE, What's Hoi Polloi?

Hoi polloi = the masses, the plebes. (Also sometimes means the elite, for some strange reason, but that’s certainly not the meaning I was going after.) Basically, any of us non-Zimmer-ites who don’t have homes in Malibu and aren’t the capos of our own film scoring mafias.

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/08/2023 at 12:40 PM, michael_grig said:

Is anything known about the program for these two concerts?

https://www.bso.org/events/john-williams-tribute

One has a violin soloist, and the other a piano soloist. What could they play?

Schindler's List and Sabrina.

On 19/8/2023 at 8:40 PM, michael_grig said:

Is anything known about the program for these two concerts?

https://www.bso.org/events/john-williams-tribute

One has a violin soloist, and the other a piano soloist. What could they play?

@michael_grig, if it’s the same program for Tokyo, then you can find the set list here: https://bpo-japan.srptokyo.com

From the pull-down, select “Schedule and Ticket” and click what I’ve highlighted in green (October 7). 

IMG_6117.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 14/09/2023 at 3:51 PM, Chanelnelly said:

Anyone with a source able to find out why John won't come back to London?? :heartbreak: Seen him in Berlin but I'm dying to see him reunite with the London Symphony :heart:

He's seen it all, including Abbey Road.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/7/2023 at 8:15 PM, ocelot said:

A little anecdote. Years ago when one of the composers there, a friend of mine, was getting up higher a bit he said they heard my stuff and wanted me to join the Zimmer group. I was like cool, I don't mind, but wait, what was I supposed to do for my first year.... be Zimmer's Chauffeur. I'm sorry but what?! lol. I'm not a struggling composer, nor am I ever hard up for money, compared to most people I have plenty. I was like, I'll hire him a chauffeur myself. I am not driving my BMW M series Z4 coupe, which I had just bought, from my house in West Hollywood to Malibu everyday and put miles on it and then drive him to Santa Monica, every day and back just to show him I'm wanting to be a composer. Like how insane is that? Instead I worked for Chris Young, I did menial things sure, that's not a problem, you want me to pick up your dry cleaning because we're on a movie, or pick up the kids and get them home or get you cigarettes, no problem. I'm also taking down dictation and reviewing scenes and coming up with ideas for scenes and orchestrating while I do everything and learning so much and he got me my green card etc etc. But to just be a chauffeur for a year and nothing else?!  Thank you but WTF NO! ROFL :)

This comment should go into the Hans Zimmer Appreciation Thread.