Composer Angelo Badalamenti passes away at 85 :(

Van_Etten

My dad is a big Twin Peaks/David Lynch fan, he even owns to this day the TP OST. Because of him, I binged all his Twin Peaks DVDs when I was a teenager. 

Years later, I heard his score for Stalingrad and really loved it!

Can’t say I was familiar with his work until I discovered Lynch in the past few years. But his music is so integral to Lynch’s oeuvre, it’s essentially its own character in Twin Peaks.

I just watched Fire Walk With Me last night too.

RIP

One of the most massive losses in film music-dom for me, as he's largely responsible for my interest in film music. I've been trying to sort my thoughts over the last 24 hours, and will write an obit soon. I'll share a Google Translate of it when I have it ready.

I am not acquainted with his music. I haven't seen TWIN PEAKS (I know only of the music theme) but I have seen some films he's scored like THE STRAIGHT STORY, BLUE VELVET, MULHOLLAND DRIVE, LOST HIGHWAY.

I don't remember anything of the music, but I remember and love the soundtrack of THE CITY OF LOST CHILDREN.

Any recommendations?

14 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I am not acquainted with his music. I haven't seen TWIN PEAKS (I know only of the music theme) but I have seen some films he's scored like THE STRAIGHT STORY, BLUE VELVET, MULHOLLAND DRIVE, LOST HIGHWAY.

I don't remember anything of the music, but I remember and love the soundtrack of THE CITY OF LOST CHILDREN.

Any recommendations?

Top 10 for me:

1. TWIN PEAKS (also includes FIRE WALK WITH ME)

2. Gold Coast

3. The Straight Story

4. Cousins

5. The City of Lost Children

6. A Very Long Engagement

7. Blue Velvet

8. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

9. Lost Highway

10. A Late Quartet

By the way, finished my brief obit now, in case anyone is interested. As run through Google Translate here.

I would say the best way to discover whether or not you will like his style is to go with his Twin Peaks stuff, as I think it's a perfect encapsulation of his work overall, but the amount of music can be a bit scary. You can start with the original release for the first season, which contains the essential highlights of the whole show, and from there move on to the Fire Walk with Me soundtrack, which is a darker and moodier take on that same style.

You cannot go wrong with some of his stuff for Lynch, especially The Straight Story, Blue Velvet and Mulholland Drive (a personal favorite). I also love parts of other scores like The Wicker Man, Stalingrad or the main theme from The Beach.

Very sad :(

I don't know a lot of his work, but I love what I know: Twin Peaks of course, but especially his more "langourous" scores, Mulholland Drive, City of Lost Children, The Wicker Man, which I find riveting. His new music was too rare in the Twin Peaks revival but it hit the mark each time. I need to unpack that Blue Velvet deluxe edition now. 

It feels weird to be celebrating a great composer in Milan in the evening and finding out another great has died in the morning. 

I listened to this great suite from The Genius Of Film Music (Hollywood Blockbusters 1980s To 2000s) [London Philh O, Brossé, 2018].

Thanks for the music maestro. As I loved the first season of Twin Peaks, I must say that its music was a great part of its fun and strange ambiance.

Primary

• 2 weeks later...