New SACD: GERHARDT & NPO • STAR WARS & CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND

Amer

Finally a new release of this brilliant album, which was missing from the remasters of the full regular series. Seems a bit unclear though if anything has been done (remaster/remix) to the Stereo version, or just to the surround mix?

Dutton is an excellent, careful and conscientious mixer so I very much doubt he will have left the stereo untouched. Apart from anything else, surely it would have been much more effort for them to locate the album master tape for the stereo tracks and the original multichannel tapes for the 5.1. Much easier to construct the 5.1 then down mix it to stereo.

Interestingly, I believe this was recorded a mere four days before SW was released in the UK.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, rough cut said:

The stereo tracks should be as any proper CD. That is, 16-bit with sample rate of 44.1kHz, which is the standard lossless audio format.

I will always argue that that is as much as you need.

As long as the content is in high quality - and as I understand this CD is newly and properly remastered - you will have a hard time discerning any difference between a CD and “hi res” (which is usually defined as 24bit/96kHz or 24bit/192kHz).

This theorem should prove that the standard cd sample rate is what you need to reproduce the actual sound wave and enything above it won't produce any improvement.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquist–Shannon_sampling_theorem

18 minutes ago, ciarlese said:

This theorem should prove that the standard cd sample rate is what you need to reproduce the actual sound wave and enything above it won't produce any improvement.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquist–Shannon_sampling_theorem

Not entirely. There's the problem of short transients, which can contain frequencies higher than half the sampling frequency. 

11 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

This is the one of the three Gerhardt Star Wars recordings that I don't have yet. Probably I will get that one.

Get it for the extended CE3K suite. Looking forward to hearing the fresh remastering!

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Not entirely. There's the problem of short transients, which can contain frequencies higher than half the sampling frequency.

I think the point @ciarlese might have been trying to make is that human hearing typically does not extend beyond around 20 kHz, so a 44.1 kHz sampling rate is capable of capturing the full range of human hearing.  So even if a transient event is present in a recording and excites frequencies above 22.05 kHz, we likely would not be able to perceive it anyway.

7 hours ago, thx99 said:

I think the point @ciarlese might have been trying to make is that human hearing typically does not extend beyond around 20 kHz, so a 44.1 kHz sampling rate is capable of capturing the full range of human hearing.  So even if a transient event is present in a recording and excites frequencies above 22.05 kHz, we likely would not be able to perceive it anyway.

If I've understood correctly, we're able to correctly perceive transients that contain frequency components higher than that of the audible range. 

10 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

This is the one of the three Gerhardt Star Wars recordings that I don't have yet. Probably I will get that one.

Just ordered it directly from the label.

https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDLK4642

Depending on how it’s been made, it could have up to three versions on one disc:

1) Standard CD layer, playable on any normal CD transport.

2) Stereo ‘high-res’ DSD layer, playable only on players that can decode it.

3) Multichannel (anything up to 5.1) DSD layer. Also playable only on players that can decide it and obviously needs up to a 5.1 speaker system to listen to it.

Based on the other Dutton Vocalion discs I’ve got where a vintage ‘quad’ mix has been remastered, it might well have been rejigged into 5.1 from the original 4.0, and done very well. We won’t know exactly what it is until someone buys one and plays it on a compatible player.

I would recommend that arguments about sampling rates, Shannon-Nyquist, human hearing, DAC filter settings etc. are best left running interminably and inconclusively on hifi forums rather than being repeated here!

Mark

13 minutes ago, QuartalHarmony said:

Based on the other Dutton Vocalion discs I’ve got where a vintage ‘quad’ mix has been remastered, it might well have been rejigged into 5.1 from the original 4.0, and done very well. We won’t know exactly what it is until someone buys one and plays it on a compatible player.

It literally says REMIXED IN QUADRAPHONIC.

14 minutes ago, QuartalHarmony said:

I would recommend that arguments about sampling rates, Shannon-Nyquist, human hearing, DAC filter settings etc. are best left running interminably and inconclusively on hifi forums rather than being repeated here!

I recommend not participating in discussions you're not interested in. ;)

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

If I've understood correctly, we're able to correctly perceive transients that contain frequency components higher than that of the audible range. 

Not exactly. A true transient (Dirac delta) contains energy at all frequencies, by definition. We will hear the energy content of that transient up to about 20 kHz (or whatever your max range may be), but we will not hear any of the content above that.

10 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It literally says REMIXED IN QUADRAPHONIC.

It literally does. Marketing blurbs aren’t always correct. I was speaking from previous experience.

10 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I recommend not participating in discussions you're not interested in.

Excellent advice: I wasn’t participating in the discussion, just pointing out that this particular debate has been done to death many times on other forums and I’ve only ever seen it end unpleasantly and inconclusively. I was merely trying to preserve a bit of Christmas magic by avoiding such unpleasantness in this forum.

Mark

57 minutes ago, QuartalHarmony said:

Excellent advice: I wasn’t participating in the discussion, just pointing out that this particular debate has been done to death many times on other forums and I’ve only ever seen it end unpleasantly and inconclusively. I was merely trying to preserve a bit of Christmas magic by avoiding such unpleasantness in this forum.

I think we'll managed to keep it civilised. Merry Christmas. :)

57 minutes ago, QuartalHarmony said:

literally does. Marketing blurbs aren’t always correct. I was speaking from previous experience.

I have faith in the technical details given by Dutton. Regarding previous experience, are you referring to any of the earlier Gerhardt albums remastered by Dutton?

41 minutes ago, rough cut said:

Topics, facts and opinions will repeat themselves, otherwise 2/3 of the content on this forum would be non existent.

I believe this has been said before.

The first feedback I've seen from someone who has heard this release comes from Neil S Bulk

I'm happy this album is back in print. Having heard the new quad mix, my recommendation is to stick with the stereo mix, either through the CD layer or SA-CD layer.

And no, I haven't compared this to the previous Dolby Surround release.

Neil

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=149961&forumID=1&archive=0

So, I just listened to this and compared it to the original release. The stereo track is out of sync with the original '78 release but most won't notice the speed changes. But who knows which speed is right and were probably recorded without sync.

But what's really glaring is when you compare the stereo track and the SACD track on this new release. There is an absolutely HORRIBLE edit in track one from the transition of the Blockage Runner section into the end titles. 2:18. I mean, it's REALLY clunky. It adds an (off) extra beat that shouldn't be there. It's really bad!

So, I wouldn't listen to the SACD version, and even though there are some issues with the stereo track compared with the original release, most won't notice the speed issues. Stick with the stereo track.

-Erik-

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

Isn't it more likely that the 2022 has the correct speed and the old CD had the wrong speed, and not the other way around?

I can't be certain because I don't think there was any sort of sync set up during the recording session. There is no mention of a pilot tone on the picture inside the booklet of the notes on the outside of the reel.

When comparing the '78 stereo track to this new transfer, you can hear (and see) various time fluctuations throughout the entire playing time of the first track. Sometimes one track is faster than the other but then then they sync up, then the other track is fast and then come back into sync. But what's clear is that the 2022 stereo transfer is longer. Annnnnnd, the bad edit in the SACD version of this album is pretty brutal. 

-Erik- 

Neil S Bulk also added at the FSM Thread [see link above]

This release is hardly a disaster. As this was never intended to sync with picture, it's perfectly normal for an analog album recording to have a bit of drift. It looks like it was recorded to analog multitrack tape without sync. Then it was dubbed down to stereo and edited on more machines that are not running at the precise same speed as each other. The album master is probably on 1/4" tape which won't have sync on it, too, so the playback machine will differ from the machine that recorded it. Who is to say the playback machine in the 80s is more or less accurate than the machine that played it back for this release? In real world listening, you'll be hard pressed to spot a pitch difference between these.

This isn't a "Kind Of Blue" situation: https://www.stereophile.com/thefifthelement/206fifth/

The original stereo album master has been unavailable on CD for years and to have that back and on SACD as well is great.

Neil

So it seems the transition problem (between the first 2:18 part of the Star Wars theme and the finale) only appears on the new quadraphonic mix, the stereo album master that appears on the SACD is fine.

NSBuck added:

The performance is absolutely edited and perfected on the stereo album master. My theory, without access to the session masters, is the main title portion of track 1 (the first 2:18 or so) was recorded as written for the film proper, with a definite ending and without going into the end title portion. What's heard on the quad master supports this, as there's the same ending in the performance that's also heard on the 1997 SE release of the film recording. This ending was not used on the original stereo album master but is now on the quad mix.

Then the ending of the piece (the remaining 3:25) was recorded separately and intended to be edited onto the main title. They don't quite go together, so my theory is another take was recorded, a bridge between the main and end titles. It's this take that's missing on the quad mix assembly of the "Main Title."

It was clear the entire time that that was only on the new quadrophonic mix and not the stereo mix. 

And please don't be rude about Neil's name, it isn't funny. 

11 minutes ago, rough cut said:

How does the new remaster - both the stereo and the quad - sound compared to the old CD? Did anyone have a chance to compare?

NSBulk said it's now his favourite version.

The stereo SA-CD has supplanted my personal hi-res LP transfer as my preferred version.

Neil

• 1 month later...

I would like to know if the quad mix has instruments surrounding the listener like it is the case with the Bernard Herrman recording or Bartoks Concert for Orchester conducted by Boulez on the same label? Or is it just a bit of ambience?

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Gurkensalat said:

The strings are in front, the French horns in the left surround, the trumpets in the right surround, for example.

So it's like standing on the stage with the orchestra and… facing the auditorium?

No, then left and right would be switched. Violins are still front right, Celli front left. As I said, it is like sitting inside a circle. Other labels do this all the time, like 2L or Tacet, which have recorded among other works the complete Haydn and Beethoven string quartets in such a fashion (violins front, viola left surround, cello right surround). Artificial? Of course. But glorious!

Regardless of the stereo vs surround discussion, this seems odd to me. I'm having enough issues with stereo recordings where the distances are off and the brass sounds closer than the strings (one of the things I don't like about Gerhardt's ESB, for example).

That is, because you strife to recreate the concert hall experience as closely as possible. I understand that, because normally this is also my goal. And standard surround recordings of orchestral music do this also by just reproducing ambience in the surrounds. It is perfectly fine. A prime example is the blu-ray of the JW Vienna concert which really transports you in the hall.  But that other kind of surround has not the goal of an imitation of the concert hall, but a deeper look inside the structure of the music. You just can discern the separate instruments and their lines better, as well as the interplay between different instruments.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone have any news on whether Dutton Vocallion will be handling the SACD release of ROTJ featuring Gerhardt and the NPO that came out on the RCA Red Seal label in 1983?temp.jpg

I have enquired about it But no response from them whatsoever. Lets hope it happens. DUTTON just released a new batch after a very long gap but nothing did stir any interest for me there.

I'm not aware of it having had a release in anything more than 2.0, but the original master tape could have had all sorts of multichannel malarkey (i.e. multiple microphone feeds) preserved that could be used to make a multichannel version, were someone so inclined.

I didn't realise the quad was so immersive - I'm now quite tempted to buy it just to see.

Mark