Am I reading this right- a new ending for Indiana Jones 5 and which needs to be scored?

Amvanquish

On 13/12/2022 at 5:55 PM, Yavar Moradi said:

This is not a Rise of Skywalker situation. All that’s being newly done is the ENDING, based on what Williams said.

I know what my hope is… this film was shot before Ke Huy Quan returned to acting after decades away from it. Maybe this reunion at D23 led to some last minute conversations to take advantage of the extra buffer time before this film’s release, and give a very powerful onscreen relationship (easily the best part of the generally-problematic ToD) some lovely closure of some kind…

Just a hope, but I can dream. Obviously it’s far too late for him to be integrated into the movie. “Another ending” seems like it might just fit.

image.jpeg

I’m surprised more people’s minds aren’t going to this hopeful possibility, but then I guess the men’s rights “they shall not replace us” trolls really do have their panties in a bunch about Phoebe Waller Bridge being in this, and they’re the loudest voices on the internet. 🙄 

Yavar

People have a problem with Phoebe being in this movie? Why?

9 hours ago, Amvanquish said:

No I was the Senior Film Buyer for UCI , Warner Village and Vue cinemas working out of their Head Offices in Central London.

Sometimes I’d watch 4 maybe 5 films a day of all genres then would make a decision as to whether to negotiate a deal to show them and and what size of screen I would put them in , whether we had 2/3 or 4 prints of a major film for release like a Bond or Star Wars film for scheduling purposes  - each print and it’s revenue would be negotiated separately . I’d go to premieres nearly every week and be in screening rooms morning noon and night

That sounds like an interesting job!

I’ve no idea who @mattris  is but thanks for the compliment

Yes Jurassic it was a very interesting and challenging job, Basically about 30 of us determined about 90% of what the country saw in the U.K. cinemas . Sometimes if we didn’t think the film was commercially viable it would go straight to vid and, if it was ,we could make suggestions to the film distributor on its release date .

We we’re in the unique position of seeing the film before the censor or film critics .

Also for the benefit of the uneducated I personally knew the owners of National Screen Service in Perivale West London who supplied and made the film trailers and marketing materials for all the films ( NSS was also right next to Rank Film Distribution who supplied every film to every cinema in the U.K. and I know to this day the Operations Manager of that film service); and I had the privilege of watching trailers being made and how the music was put on and from where . 

I take it Jurassic that Mahler3 has contacted you and confirmed my credentials then?

On 13/12/2022 at 11:55 PM, Yavar Moradi said:

I know what my hope is… this film was shot before Ke Huy Quan returned to acting after decades away from it. Maybe this reunion at D23 led to some last minute conversations to take advantage of the extra buffer time before this film’s release, and give a very powerful onscreen relationship (easily the best part of the generally-problematic ToD) some lovely closure of some kind…

Just a hope, but I can dream. Obviously it’s far too late for him to be integrated into the movie. “Another ending” seems like it might just fit.

image.jpeg

I’m surprised more people’s minds aren’t going to this hopeful possibility, but then I guess the men’s rights “they shall not replace us” trolls really do have their panties in a bunch about Phoebe Waller Bridge being in this, and they’re the loudest voices on the internet. 🙄 

You're speaking as if the filmmakers never considered bringing back Short Round when planning this film. Of course they must have.

5 hours ago, King Mark said:

Was JW even supposed to say that? I hope he doesn't get fired or get in trouble for it.

I don't know if this is sarcasm but in case it isn't, they wouldn't dare fire John Williams on a Star Wars, Indiana Jones film. Now that would bring heat online lol.

5 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You're speaking as if the filmmakers never considered bringing back Short Round when planning this film. Of course they must have.

Why would they? He had apparently retired from acting decades previously! Then all of a sudden he appears in a big hit, Everything Everywhere All At Once, and articles like this show up:

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/04/ke-huy-quan-returned-to-acting-crazy-rich-asians-1234715730/amp/

https://people.com/movies/why-indiana-jones-and-goonies-kid-star-ke-huy-quan-quit-acting-for-20-years-inside-his-return/

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/awards/story/2022-11-07/ke-huy-quan-can-again-embrace-his-dream-of-acting?_amp=true

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if it took the meeting with Harrison Ford and all the positively elated buzz about that before people said, “Huh, we really missed an opportunity here.”

Yavar

10 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Why would they? He had apparently retired from acting decades previously!

1. He retired due to a lack of offers.

2. He was still working in the film business. 

3. Who would say no to an IJ film, even if they hadn't acted for 20 years?

Why is this so hard to comprehend? It’s not about whether he would have said yes or no if asked. He wasn’t on ANYONE’s radar as a currently-working actor, when Indy 5 was being filmed much less when it was conceived and written! He hadn’t had a role in TWO DECADES. The impression most people had of him, until he decided (based on Crazy Rich Asians) that he might be able to return to Hollywood acting, was of a child star who had permanently retired from acting as so many child stars do. There is no reason they would choose to write him into a movie at the time this film was being written.

This is Lucasfilm we are talking about, not the Cobra Kai showrunners who do crazy things and bring original actors out of retirement decades later. That is highly uncommon.

Then in a crazy bit of timing, after the movie has been essentially filmed and finished, the actor comes back out of nowhere with Everything Everwhere All At Once, getting TONS of positive press about this comeback in major publications. Add to that his highly visible warm reunion with Harrison Ford at D23 afterwards, and you don’t think it’s *possible* that, with the film still over half a year from release date, SOMEBODY at Lucasfilm (or maybe Harrison Ford, or James Mangold himself) said, “heyyy… how about we bring him in for one scene in Indy 5?”

Yavar

3 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Why is this so hard to comprehend? It’s not about whether he would have said yes or no if asked. He wasn’t on ANYONE’s radar as a currently-working actor, when Indy 5 was being filmed much less when it was conceived and written! He hadn’t had a role in TWO DECADES. The impression most people had of him, until he decided (based on Crazy Rich Asians) that he might be able to return to Hollywood acting, was of a child star who had permanently retired from acting as so many child stars do. There is no reason they would choose to write him into a movie at the time this film was being written.

Of course, people in the business, and those able to access Imdb, know he continued acting into adulthood. 

7 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

This is Lucasfilm we are talking about, not the Cobra Kai showrunners who do crazy things and bring original actors out of retirement decades later. That is highly uncommon.

It was highly uncommon. 

Anyway, if they wanted to bring back the Short Round character, they could also have done so with a different actor. My point is that this character had an obvious place on their list when considering which actors of the previous films to bring back.

Oookay… and now it’s just somewhat uncommon?

Again, is it really so hard for you to conceive a scenario where the actor wasn’t under consideration for inclusion before his dramatic comeback, but then after his dramatic comeback and high profile reunion with Harrison Ford, it occurred to someone THEN that bringing him for a touching cameo might be nice to do?

Yavar

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Anyway, if they wanted to bring back the Short Round character, they could also have done so with a different actor. My point is that this character had an obvious place on their list when considering which actors of the previous films to bring back.

This obsession with bringing back every character from the past has worn out its welcome. 

We're getting Sallah. We got Marion in the last film (and look how that turned out). It sounds like she's making a cameo in DoD as well. Why can't these films just be standalone adventures with a unique cast of characters, like Raiders/TOD? Even TLC for the most part, which is really a buddy comedy between Ford and Connery.

I'm excited to see Indy surrounded by new characters and new situations after the (frankly awful) shoehorning of Marion into KOCS. Has everyone forgotten the cringeworthy integration of Lando into TROS as well? 

It bodes well that Williams says the chemistry between Ford and PWB carries the film. Hopefully that means Mangold is going back to basics and not treating the film like a victory lap of the entire series. 

45 minutes ago, crumbs said:

This obsession with bringing back every character from the past has worn out its welcome. 

Not on Cobra Kai it hasn't. The secret is doing it WELL. Just because it was done poorly in a disappointing movie over a decade ago doesn't mean James Mangold couldn't do it well here.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What would be the point of recasting? That would be SO weird. And you seem determined not to acknowledge that with the sudden and unexpected rise in the actor's profile after most of the film was done, the calculus may have changed.

I'm not saying it WILL happen. I just think its a possibility -- one which you seem strangely invested in shooting down, for some reason.

Yavar

3 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

What would be the point of recasting? That would be SO weird. And you seem determined not to acknowledge that with the sudden and unexpected rise in the actor's profile after most of the film was done, the calculus may have changed.

I'm just following your line of thinking. If Lucasfilm wanted to bring back the character, and the original actor wasn't available/acceptable, they would have to recast. And it isn't exactly uncommon to recast a character when going from child to grown-up. 

10 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Not on Cobra Kai it hasn't. The secret is doing it WELL.

Sure, but what other people are proposing (some last-minute, shoehorned cameo for the end of the film) is the opposite of doing it well.

If there's an organic place in the story for a returning character, that's totally different (see Marcus in TLC). But the Disney era of Lucasfilm is riddled with cringeworthy fan-service cameos.

23 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Sure, but what other people are proposing (some last-minute, shoehorned cameo for the end of the film) is the opposite of doing it well.

It’s obviously too late for anything more than a cameo, but a cameo can certainly still be done well even if the character isn’t integral to the plot.

26 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'm just following your line of thinking. If Lucasfilm wanted to bring back the character, and the original actor wasn't available/acceptable, they would have to recast. And it isn't exactly uncommon to recast a character when going from child to grown-up. 

I’m rapidly losing investment in trying to explain this to you. I am suggesting that they might ONLY consider bringing the character back for a cameo at this point BECAUSE the actor after two decades away from acting is suddenly prominent in the public spotlight again, getting positive press, and clearly still has magical chemistry with Ford.

But you’re going off about recasting the character so you clearly have some kind of mental block on what I’m talking about.

Yavar

2 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I’m rapidly losing investment in trying to explain this to you. I am suggesting that they might ONLY consider bringing the character back for a cameo at this point BECAUSE the actor after two decades away from acting is suddenly prominent in the public spotlight again, getting positive press, and clearly still has magical chemistry with Ford.

But you’re going off about recasting the character so you clearly have some kind of mental block on what I’m talking about.

I do understand you, Yavar, I just don't agree with you. :)

So you hope — and find it more likely — that they decided to bring back Short Round earlier in the development stage, and possibly recast him while the original actor was apparently retired, but think it very unlikely that that the new ending might be to film a cameo with the actor after he’s made a high profile comeback.

Fine. I’m not saying my scenario is a sure thing or even likely, but it seems a lot more plausible to me.

Yavar

2 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

So you hope — and find it more likely — that they decided to bring back Short Round earlier in the development stage, and possibly recast him while the original actor was apparently retired

Yes, but if they did want to being back the character, I find it likely that they asked the original actor first.

4 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

but think it very unlikely that that the new ending might be to film a cameo with the actor after he’s made a high profile comeback.

Correct, because at that stage I find it likely the idea of bringing the character back had already been considered.

I remember Short Round actor Ke Huy Quan appeared 2017 or 2018 as special guest on a concert of John Williams'music for Spielberg films in France. He appeared in between, when they played some Indiana Jones pieces and just said some words and told the Story of his casting.

So I took a b-day break from trolls. But it seems I gotta once again say.. We’re not shooting & never shot any new scenes or "alt endings". Our film is 99% finished, getting rated by MPAA & VFX being completed. Happy Holidays!

1 hour ago, Alex said:

I wish Mangold was more specific with his response. What possible reasons would JW have to state very specifically that he´d be working on the film again in a couple of weeks?

Perhaps the ending was re-edited.

This is great news because now it narrows the possibilities: 

A: JW was wrong and that's fine, the man is 90 y/o 

B: They are indeed shooting a small cameo with Ke Huy Quan and want to keep it a surprise and JW made a mistake

Anything other than that would eventually be known so yeah, no more alternate ending bullshit.

3 minutes ago, toothless said:

B: They are indeed shooting a small cameo with Ke Huy Quan and want to keep it a surprise and JW made a mistake

Actually, they're shooting a cameo with Yavar dressed up as Short Round.

7 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Where's this clip from, and what's he saying?

No idea what he's saying. I just grabbed it from the reaction GIFs thread.