Dial of Destiny: "Huge score" with 2 hours of music, 60+ cues, according to Mangold

crumbs

45 minutes ago, Bespin said:

We'll get a 70 minutes OST, starting with The Raiders March, then by the 4 Concert Suites especially written for the album, then a dozen cues from the score in a non-chronological order.  :lol:

Someone tell Williams that 90 min score is not unusual these days...or tweet it to Mangold!!! That would be great.

59 minutes ago, Michael Grigorowitsch said:

I would VASTLY prefer a score-only film version to a more comprehensive album.

I would VASTLY prefer a proper score presentation to what is only a resource for approximative complete score fanedits, with dialed out bits, looping, tracking, microedits, no alternates, that I will never watch anyway.

I would absolutely love to have three cues from the score mixed together, one following each other: one cue from the beginning, one from the middle and one from the end of the movie! :lol:

1 hour ago, Darth Mulder said:

Someone tell Williams that 90 min score is not unusual these days...or tweet it to Mangold!!! That would be great.

Someone tell him that complete score releases aren't unheard of!

I'm holding out hope MM might convince JW to release an expanded version of the score alongside his traditional OST, bundled into a deluxe box set with all 5 scores. 

There'll be 6 months after recording to assemble it... wouldn't that be sufficient? 

3 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I'm holding out hope that MM might convince JW to release an expanded version of the score alongside his traditional OST, bundled into a deluxe box set with all 5 scores. 

There'll be 6 months after recording to assemble it... wouldn't that be sufficient? 

Never gonna happen but Dream Away

On 20/12/2022 at 2:17 PM, Brando said:

Posting this here since some people might not be in the other thread, but Mangold did reply to this tweet:

64E6F141-B624-4C2D-B11E-7175D205BD5B.jpeg

Damn, I thought that part got included in my embed. That was the whole reason I posted it lol

I think that it will be an excellent score.  I probably am a bit more excited about the prospect of a full piano concerto, but as that is far less definite, it is harder to rally behind it just yet.  When it comes to Williams and projects such as Indy, there is a tendency to react negatively if it does not reach masterpiece-level scoring.  So, I also expect some muted initial reactions.  

Spoiler

If the Archimedes rumors are true, then I look forward to Ancient Greek-styled epic music, which Williams has not really done before.  That excites me the most in terms of the movie.  A throwback patriotic march to the parade chase too, but my gut tells me that is not going to happen.  

I got into scores too late for most of his 'classic' franchise scores and considering I'm not into SW, however I do remember getting excited for RotK and PoA at uni.

I remain almost impartial on DoD - Helena's theme isnt my thing, but my main issue with KotCS is that the film IMO is so dull that the character/MacGuffin bits didn't provide JW with anything to work with, and the music reflected that. I have far higher expectations for this one but I certainly don't expect to get anything regarded as well as Raiders, for example.

In a way, for Dial of Destiny I see a similar problem coming like I already had with KotCS: That there might be too much stuff in the movie and that more is somehow less. In KotCS there were too many places, too many characters without really coming together as one consistent story. And even for the McGuffin it was not really clear where it was and how. At the beginning they find one in the warehouse in that box including a full skelleton. But then later they search it as well in some graves. Then later in that ufo temple, there they find the skeletons and just one head is missing and no body. I don't understand this until today.

At least that's the taste in the back of my mouth after all this time.

But I love to be proven wrong.

10 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

In a way, for Dial of Destiny I see a similar problem coming like I already had with KotCS: That there might be too much stuff in the movie and that more is somehow less. In KotCS there were too many places, too many characters without really coming together as one consistent story. And even for the McGuffin it was not really clear where it was and how. At the beginning they find one in the warehouse in that box including a full skelleton. But then later they search it as well in some graves. Then later in that ufo temple, there they find the skeletons and just one head is missing and no body. I don't understand this until today.

At least that's the taste in the back of my mouth after all this time.

But I love to be proven wrong.

I'd like to think the script for DoD is better than KOTS. At least, that is my sincere hope.

I'm also drooling over the idea of more JW Indy action music. That's really all I want from this score. Everything else is just gravy on top.

On 03/01/2023 at 9:08 AM, Tom said:

I still think had Williams opened with or at least included a concert version of the heroic version of Tintin's theme, it would be considered a top ten score for many more people.  

I've always said it. It had the potential to be on Raider's March level

Wouldn’t you love to have seen John Williams face when he saw the trailer for the first time and heard how his Raiders March was adapted? 

Like…What in gods name goes thru these peoples head? It’s easily the worst rendition of the Raiders March I’ve ever heard and I heard a Grade 7 band give it a go. 

3 hours ago, King Mark said:

I hope there's no banjo,harmonica,mandolin,harpsichord,saxophone and other instuments than make orchestral scores sound off

and no Piano finale

Man, you must really hate TLC then ;)

4 hours ago, Mr. Gitz said:

Wouldn’t you love to have seen John Williams face when he saw the trailer for the first time and heard how his Raiders March was adapted? 

Like…What in gods name goes thru these peoples head? It’s easily the worst rendition of the Raiders March I’ve ever heard and I heard a Grade 7 band give it a go. 

I guarantee JW hasn't watched it 

22 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I guarantee JW hasn't watched it 

Didn't JW make that special appearance conducting the Raiders March at the same event they debuted the trailer? 

Maybe I'm mixing things up. 

4 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Didn't JW make that special appearance conducting the Raiders March at the same event they debuted the trailer? 

I thought that was in May for Obi Wan

13 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Well sure he did! He saw it while scrolling through TikTok on his iPhone, as he always does when not composing music.

“Joseph baby, what is this…dancing?”

13 hours ago, crumbs said:

No it dropped 12/1, during the Brazil comic con. I don’t think JW was doing anything that day, could be wrong.