Movie studios can be sued under false advertising laws if they release deceptive movie trailers, a federal judge ruled on Tuesday.

Jay

This is hilarious. Honestly. How sad are you if you sue a studio because of this?

So many trailers these days have shots that are not/different than in the film. Amd the amount of money that they're asking is insane. Just because you didn't see Ana De Armas, go watch another film.

Reminds me of all those people who went to see Sweeney Todd not knowing it was a musical. That was entirely the fault of the marketing department of course - most of the trailers didn't feature any singing, but good lord did they complain.

50 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

Wish we could sue over shitty epic trailer music though.

Epic trailer music may be shitty, but it has been serving as an inspiration for the actual film scores for the good part of the last decade.

Good thing.

Saying trailers are "artistic expression" and not literal ads for movies is cringe. Studios don't put out trailers for "artistic expression", they want to lure people into spending cash, nothing else.

This isn't about making a movie look better than it actually is, it's about them putting stuff in a trailer that they know won't be in the film, for the purpose of luring people into buying something they know they can't give them.

1 hour ago, TolkienSS said:

This isn't about making a movie look better than it actually is, it's about them putting stuff in a trailer that they know won't be in the film, for the purpose of luring people into buying something they know they can't give them.

The thing is how trailers are made. Usually either a small amount of footage or an early cut of a film is handed over to a different company to make a trailer, with the director or producers having little say in what's used. The only studio that seems to go out of their way to be deceptive is Marvel. As far as footage being in trailers that weren't in the film, this isn't anything new either, go look at the trailers for Ghostbusters or Home Alone and you'll find stuff that wasn't in the final cut. 

In this particular case though, watching the trailer, Ana De Armas is only in the James Corden scenes, so to watch this film expecting her to be a major part is lost on me. The trailer isn't selling her as being integral to the plot or overall story. Just that when the main character is on the late late show with James Corden, she's there. If the only reason the plaintiffs watched this film based solely on those few minutes of footage and didn't get what they expected they are certainly in their right to demand a refund, but $5 million for false advertising is absurd.

Now I can move forward with my lawsuit against Disney for those trailers of The Rise of Skywalker teasing me with Duel of the Fates! What false advertising! I'd say a cool 10 million should make it right. 

Just now, MrJosh said:

Now I can move forward with my lawsuit against Disney for those trailers of The Rise of Skywalker teasing me with Duel of the Fates! What false advertising! I'd say a cool 10 million should make it right. 

Why not add Rogue One as more proof and get more money :lol:

5 hours ago, Bellosh said:

Wish we could sue over shitty epic trailer music though.

Geez! If we all did that, there would be no money left, in the world.

I'd be more likely to complain about what was in the film, rather than what was left out of it.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

LOL! Only in America!

This reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer sues the coffee company for having too hot coffee, after he spills it all over himself in the cinema.

The actual case that inspired all the later memes was actually not as frivolous as one would think.

Imagine using this to try and sue Marvel because they didn't include the other two Spider-Men in the trailer or even edited them out of shots they were in, or Paramount because of the Khan twist in STID, or...

Where does it end?

I still see it as a bit of false advertising to have things in trailers that aren't in the final product. It has ALWAYS bothered me. While I know it's really not done on purpose for all the reasons people said, I still think it is false advertising nonetheless.

For example, when Jurassic World: Dominion came out, even during the week of release, they kept showing the footage of the T-Rex roaring at the drive-in during an attack sequence. The entire scene was not in the theatrical film, which is what it was advertising for specifically. This isn't some Carl's Jr. Ad where it is advertising the burger more than the movie; its solely showing you "this is the movie". Only it's not an accurate portrayal if you are showing things not in it. So, it's false advertising.

I am not saying it's worth suing millions of dollars over. But it has been a problem for a long time. Most people I don't think appreciate being false advertised with other things. Yeah, movies aren't cars. But trick enough people and you're still making millions of them collectively. I will agree though that the only people seemingly doing this on purpose is Marvel. If they don't want to spoil things in their trailers, there is a real easy solution: just don't show it.

• 8 months later...