First Impressions: The FILMS of 2023

Jay

Creed III

I loved it!!! I'm a fan of the Rocky films, but I've always liked the Creed films a bit more.

Michael B. Jordan does an incredible job directing. It's his first feature but you couldn't tell. He does some really cool things with the camera and the fight scenes are amazingly well directed. With every fight it really is like you're really in there. They are fast and quite brutal. Some of the shots are really cool.

As an actor Jordan is also great. He gets some great emotional scenes and his chemistry with both Majors, Thompson & the actress who plays his daughter is great. He's a charismatic actor and it's on full display here.

The whole cast is great, but it's Jonathan Majors who walks away with the film. He's phenomenal!! He's a beast physically and in his acting. I thought it was terrific to watch.

One thing I up front thought would be the case was that I was gonna miss Stallone in it. But this was not the case at all. I'm glad that they fully got to focus on Adonis and his story instead of staying in both Rocky and his father's story.

I had a blast in the cinema and it's my favorite film of the year so far.

Watched it too and it was really good.

Jordan's as a director is really good, he handle the fight scenes really well even though I even prefered his more emotional scenes. Two things bothered me a little bit though: I found there was a bit too much slow-motion in the fight and sometime I found he cut the scene a bit too soon (for instance the first shot of the movie is beautiful and should have last a couple seconds more)

The cast is wonderful. After Major's performance in the MCU, I was really looking forward this one and he was again a real standout. The rest of the cast is really good too. The absence of Stallone was a bit weird as they never mentioned why is not there, but overall you don't miss him that much.

About the music, I found that some part were better but I kind of regret the large absence of Göransson's theme.

It's overall superior to Creed II but slightly inferior to the first Creed

Crimes of the Future is such a brilliant film, technically released last year but unleashed here, the Howard Shore score is a magnificent beauty 

• 2 weeks later...

Watched Scream VI and Creed III. And, other than the hilarity of mentioning those titles with straight face, they're both really enjoyable. What both films have in common is that they give new blood more room rather than diluting in (too much) nostalgia. It does work in both cases.

Karol

Just watched the new Shazam. It was sort of fun in a silly kind of way. Not great, clearly, but far from disaster heralded by its RT score and box office. The orchestral score by Christophe Beck was mixed very loud which was quite unusual for this type of music these days.

I don't really have anything else to say about it. 😄

Karol

3 hours ago, crocodile said:

Not great, clearly, but far from disaster heralded by its RT score and box office.

So kinda like Quantumania, right, where a passable comic book movie received awful reviews which are probably worse than it would've been had it been released like 5 or 6 years ago.

I have this theory that recent superhero movies are having terrible reception due to everyone just feeling tired and sick of them after all the numerous movies and TV shows released over the past few years. I think Maverick and The Way of Water showed what the future of the big-budget blockbuster looks like (similar to Spider-Man in 2002 and The Avengers in 2012), while comic book movies have kinda worn off their novelty after so much content these past 2 years.

Sure, maybe Ant-Man and Shazam receiving awful reviews and disappointing box office (Quantumania will fail to match even the first AM movie at the global BO) was just a fluke and GOTG 3 and The Flash will be hits when they come out. But if these two also fail, then Marvel and DC will have every reason to be worried.

10 hours ago, crocodile said:

Just watched the new Shazam. It was sort of fun in a silly kind of way. Not great, clearly, but far from disaster heralded by its RT score and box office. The orchestral score by Christophe Beck was mixed very loud which was quite unusual for this type of music these days.

I don't really have anything else to say about it. 😄

Karol

Is it any better than the first one?

John Wick: Chapter 4

I love all 3 previous films. And this wasn't any different. I think it's even better then the 3rd.

Yes, it's long. Yes, the action sometimes goes on very long. But you know that's what you get in a John Wick film.

As always the action and stunts are incredible. They are shot incredibly well. And the Paris sequence especially has some of the best action sequences I've seen in a while.

I think the whole cast is great. Keanu Reeves does what he does, but it just really works. And he gets some emotional scenes he handles well.

Ian McShane, Laurence Fishburne & Lance Reddick all return and do a nice job. Seeing Reddick on screen after his death his me more than I thought and he got a little applause in my screening.

Donnie Yen is great, some of the best I've seen him do. Hiroyuki Sanada, Bill Skarsgard, Clancy Brown and Runa Sawayama all do really great work. And the  Scott Adkins. It took me a while to figure it was him, but he was great. And very funny.

The music by Bates & Richard is like the previous scores, but as Bates told in a Variety article, there is a more orchestral element to it. It's mostly in some of the dramatic scenes and the ending (which I thought was scored very well) and is added a bit more in the action scenes. But it's still very much like the rock scores that the previous films have

John Wick: Chapter 4. I liked it, just as I liked the previous three. It is considerably longer but, for the most part, I didn't feel it. There is some absolutely ridiculous action in this.

Karol

John Wick 4 - by now I guess you'll know if Keanu Reeves' taciturn, vengeful hitman is your sort of thing or not. This is an overlong but quite satisfying conclusion to the franchise, with the 'gun-fu' action choreography as brilliant as ever.

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves

Now that was a fun time! I had an absolute blast!

The movie is incredible well made. Great script, great directing, cinematography, acting, visual effects (outstanding) and quite a lot of heart.

A lot happens in the film. Lot's of different locations, action scenes and characters/creatures. The worldbuilding is great and everything is so well realised. To the special effects, which are faultless, and the practical make-up and stunts. Everything just works. There are some great action sequences (A swordfight with Rege-Jean Page, a chase with Sophia Lillis, the maze, a fat dragon and the final battle)

What I also thought was incredible, was that during a lot of the action scenes there were lot's of long takes. That was so cool! In the final battle there is a take where 5 characters are fighting and it's so cool!

The whole cast is great, not a weak link among them. Chris Pine is his most Chris Pine. Michelle Rodriguez is cool, funny and has a lot heart. Justice Smith & Sophia Lillis are both great and their characters are really cool.

Rege-Jean Page plays a character who takes everything way too serious, which is hilarious. And Hugh Grant is again a bit of a prick. But I love the characters he is playing the last couple years, it's just so fun.

Daisy Head also makes a great impression as the Red Wizard. I really like her in Shadow & Bone and in the 5th episode of The Sandman, but here she's quite terrifying at points.

Balfe's score works really well with the whole film. There are a few themes I believe, with one "main theme" standing out the most. I haven't listened to the album so I don't know how it is seperate from the film.

All in all, this was a great surprise for me. I have never played D&D (the most I know about it comes from Stranger Things and I know that The Legend Of Vox Machina is based on the game), so I'm sure I didn't get all the jokes or easter eggs. Which some people in my audience did. But I hope the film does well, because I would love to see more of these. The film has a beginning and an end, but there's room for more story, and I hope it happens

1 hour ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves

Now that was a fun time! I had an absolute blast!

The movie is incredible well made. Great script, great directing, cinematography, acting, visual effects (outstanding) and quite a lot of heart.

A lot happens in the film. Lot's of different locations, action scenes and characters/creatures. The worldbuilding is great and everything is so well realised. To the special effects, which are faultless, and the practical make-up and stunts. Everything just works. There are some great action sequences (A swordfight with Rege-Jean Page, a chase with Sophia Lillis, the maze, a fat dragon and the final battle)

What I also thought was incredible, was that during a lot of the action scenes there were lot's of long takes. That was so cool! In the final battle there is a take where 5 characters are fighting and it's so cool!

The whole cast is great, not a weak link among them. Chris Pine is his most Chris Pine. Michelle Rodriguez is cool, funny and has a lot heart. Justice Smith & Sophia Lillis are both great and their characters are really cool.

Rege-Jean Page plays a character who takes everything way too serious, which is hilarious. And Hugh Grant is again a bit of a prick. But I love the characters he is playing the last couple years, it's just so fun.

Daisy Head also makes a great impression as the Red Wizard. I really like her in Shadow & Bone and in the 5th episode of The Sandman, but here she's quite terrifying at points.

Balfe's score works really well with the whole film. There are a few themes I believe, with one "main theme" standing out the most. I haven't listened to the album so I don't know how it is seperate from the film.

All in all, this was a great surprise for me. I have never played D&D (the most I know about it comes from Stranger Things and I know that The Legend Of Vox Machina is based on the game), so I'm sure I didn't get all the jokes or easter eggs. Which some people in my audience did. But I hope the film does well, because I would love to see more of these. The film has a beginning and an end, but there's room for more story, and I hope it happens

I agree with all of that except for the bit about Barfe’s score which sounded like someone heard Shore’s Lord of the Rings once and then tried to compose a cheap knock off version of it. 

there was one theme that I kept waiting to turn into Eowyn’s theme.

The film was a hell of a lot of fun but I wish people would stop hiring that hack to write music. He’s like the Wish or ChatGPT version of a composer. 

Thankfully he’s doesn’t drag the rest of the film down with him.

But it was a lot of fun. In a weird way it kind of felt a bit fresh. It didn’t take itself too seriously but the writing was very solid and it was very well cast and acted. Some of the camera work was a bit fun too. 

Fun fact: the city featured is largely repurposed from the King’s Landing set built in Belfast for the last season of Game of Thrones. 

The last season of GOT used a different King's Landing set than the previous 7 seasons did?

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

The last season of GOT used a different King's Landing set than the previous 7 seasons did?

Yes. The filmed in the Old Town of Dubrovnik for seasons 2-7 but you can’t blow that up and stuff so they built a giant city set in Belfast near the studios. It’s still standing, just across the road from the Titanic Museum. I saw it after the last season wrapped but before it aired and last year (after filming for this movie had wrapped.)

i'm mostly looking forward to some small local production movies (although none of them grab me as much so far as some from last year), Nimona, Indy, Spiderverse, Guardians of the Galaxy, and some other things. Most of my favourite things from this year i'm probably not aware of yet.

Tetris

Woooooow. This was great! I was looking forward to this ever since I saw the trailer and it really was great.

I know it's a fictionalized version og what happened, but it's truly baffling that this really happened.

The film is really a sort of Cold War Espionage thriller/comedy. To say more would actually be a shame. You really have to see for yourself. There's some great moments and the last 40 minutes are a thrill ride with some cool sequences.

The whole cast is great. Egerton really is a very charismatic actor. He's always great to me! Toby Jones & Roger Allam are both also really great.

And I have to say, Balfe's score was quite a pleasant surprise. I think I like it more than Dungeons & Dragons. It's '80's synths and some Russian-style orchestral music. It's really cool. Glad a seperate score album is coming. And the rest of the songs choices are also really well chosen.

Go watch it, it really is great!!

Dungeons & Dragons. I will probably forget about it tomorrow but it was a fun two hours. They work really hard to turn this generic fantasy world into something and, for the most part, it works. The score isn't bad either.

Karol

Knock At The Cabin (2023)

MV5BZDA0MzcxZTgtMTAzZC00MGJkLTg3YzItZjMz

Well, I did like the first scene, but that's about it. As it is often the case with Shyamalan films, I find it impossible to go along with the premise of the story.

Air

This film is incredible! It's soo good.

It's like a masterclass in marketing. It's very cool.

The whole cast is great. It's really Matt Damon's film, but everyone is great.

And special mention to Ben Affleck. He is great in the role he has, but the film is really well directed. It's good to see him back after that debacle with DC almost ruined his career. He's a wonderful director.

I don't really want to say anything more about it. But everyone should see this film! It's soo good

16 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Air

This film is incredible! It's soo good.

It's like a masterclass in marketing. It's very cool.

The whole cast is great. It's really Matt Damon's film, but everyone is great.

And special mention to Ben Affleck. He is great in the role he has, but the film is really well directed. It's good to see him back after that debacle with DC almost ruined his career. He's a wonderful director.

I don't really want to say anything more about it. But everyone should see this film! It's soo good

I saw this in the cinema last week and also really enjoyed it! It's a very uplifting film and while it's not specifically about sports, it still has the feeling of a sports movie.

Dunjeons & Dragons

A really fun action movie that works pretty well. The cast is really nice espacially Hugh Grant who's always a lot of fun. Regé-Jean Page was also a lot of fun as a whole powerful character. There's some nice visual ideas for the universe. About Balfe's score I thought it worked pretty well, it's generic RCP music sure but it has some good moment.

Les Trois Mousquetaires partie 1 : D'Artagnan

A really nice movie. The art direction is top notch, it's pretty well directed aside one or two action sequences. The actors were all ok even though some of the dialogue felt out of place due to some modern language tick. The music was really generic, with tons of RCP's Batman references to a point it became ridiculous sometimes. Anyway I'm looking forward for the sequel more focused on Eva Green's Milady.

Super Mario Bros.: The Movie

It was so much fun. Jack Black was so good as Bowser, probably the highlight of the movie for me. The animation is surprisingly really good for Illumination (which I usually don't really like). The score was mostly really good apart from one or two action sequences like the kart race which felt a bit boring. I can't wait for the sequel.

Shazam!: Fury of the Gods

I didn't liked the first one but hoped that the sequel would be better well it's not. What I find interresting with Shazam! is the 14 years old who swith body and don't really know how to deal with his powers which is here not the case as you barely see Billy. The plot is pretty weak even for a super-heroes movie and the actors don't seem really enthusiatic. The score was okay but largely inferior to Christophe Beck standard.

John Wick Chapter 4

What to say here except that's a lot of fun if you liked the previous ones. Keanu Reeves is terrific in his character and his alchemy with Donnie Yen is really great. The action sequences are great and inventive as always. The cinematography is stunning too. Overall the movie is a lot of fun.

Empire of Light

I want mostly because of Roger Deakins' cinematogrphy which is breath taking. The story might have been interresting if it didn't lose itself in too many sub plots and thematics. The cast is really good, I really liked Toby Jones character. The music was there, but I can't remember a single note from it, I really missed Thomas Newman there. Overall the movie drags in length but reamains pretty well executed.

The Son

I liked The Father so I went to see this one which has a really great cast too. First of all the direction is really good, all the actors are great apart from the one who play the son who's simply ok. The plot is one the other hand really disappointing, everything is too predictible especially the end. Zimmer's score is forgettable and super generic which was quite disappointing too. Overall, like Empire of Light, the movie drags in length but reamains pretty well executed.

The Fabelmans

I want to see it a second time and damn this movie is a masterpiece. Everything felt right from the perfect Williams score to the beautiful composition of the shot. It's clearly the best 2022 picture for me.

Missing

Woow. This was so much better then I thought it would be. It's a great modern thriller. It's tense, exciting, has multiple twists and has great performances and directing.

It would be a strong film without it, but the way it only takes place on a computer screen and camera etc makes it much more tense. I thought it was really great.

Ghosted

This was fine. It really is a streaming film.

There is some amazingly bad VFX, the story is something that's been done 1000 times.

The only thing that makes it watchable are 1 or 2 fun action scenes, Evans & De Armas and a few fun cameos.

But other then that, this is one of those films that ever since streaming we get almost montly

Peter Pan & Wendy

I thought the first 30 to 40 minutes weren't all that great. But halfway through the Skull Rock sequence the movie kinda shifted.

The first half felt more like ticking boxes of things that happened in the original film. But halfway through the story unraveled and I really liked the messages in the film.

It's really about adults Vs. children and losing time. Some of the lines were really amazing.

At first I didn't really understand why Jude Law was cast as Hook, but after seeing the whole film it makes perfect sense. The ending between Peter & Hook are actually quite emotional and especially Law really sells it.

Some of the kids are not as good as they could've been, but it didn't really bother me that much.

Yara Shahidi as Tinkerbell is also wonderful and she has a great line at the end of the film.

Daniel Hart's score I thought was tremendous. It's still astonishing to me that after so many years Peter Pan is still great inspiration for composers.

I am disappointed that Hart didn't put the orchestral version of "You Can Fly" and the end credits on the album. That would've made the whole thing better to me.

All in all, bit of a mixed-bag. But I thought the second half was so good that I would recommend seeing it someday.

Ghosted

Overall it's a bit disappointing, the plot ain't really interesting, the action sequences looked really fake (partially due to horrible VFX). Luckely Ana de Armas and Chris Evans make a terrific duo with really good chemistry so that save a bit the movie. There's a couple of fun cameo which make you happy for five minutes but that's about it.

Balfe's score is really forgettable and even a bit inefficient sometimes (and I'm not one of those who can't stand him)

Air. A very enjoyable two hours in the cinema. Afleck is very good when it comes to the basics and this doesn’t try to be anything it isn’t. It’s a well told and well acted story. Probably suffers a bit from a certain cheesy-ness than can creep into American sports films but overall I enjoyed it. 

very little in the way of a score. Mostly uses pop songs of the era. 

14 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

Ghosted

Overall it's a bit disappointing, the plot ain't really interesting, the action sequences looked really fake (partially due to horrible VFX). Luckely Ana de Armas and Chris Evans make a terrific duo with really good chemistry so that save a bit the movie. There's a couple of fun cameo which make you happy for five minutes but that's about it.

Balfe's score is really forgettable and even a bit inefficient sometimes (and I'm not one of those who can't stand him)

I watched it too! Armas was the best thing in the movie

5TGE764KMZBE7AXQOCVS3ZCWPU.jpg

This was ok. It was enjoyable for what it was. There isn't really any story or character development.

Adam Driver & Ariana Greenblat both do a good job, but it was a mistake to have her not speak english.

The VFX on the dinosaurs are actually really good and I also really enjoyed Bacon's score.

It's fun for 90 minutes, but it won't stay in the mind

John Wick: Chapter 4

This franchise was a godsend for the Hollywood action cinema. In an age where most action scenes are either pure CGI or dull Bourne-style fights with a lot of cuts (thanks, Paul Greengrass), Keanu and his stuntmen from The Matrix come up with clean, well-choreographed battles that are fast, exciting and, most of all: you can actually understand well what is happening, even when it happens at night.

Every Wick movie is an improvement over the previous, and this one is no different. But what I liked the most is that the filmmakers actually listened to the criticism directed towards the previous three chapters and they tried to fix that. For example, I thought that on the previous movies Wick was too invincible, which robbed the action scenes of some of their tension. Now, Wick still kills a lot of people, but he is much more vulnerable this time, taking hits from enemies and getting hurt, which makes the battles much more interesting.

Another great thing is the supporting cast, filled with interesting characters that can be either helping Wick or trying to kill him. Donnie Yen, one of the best martial artists the Eastern cinema ever produced, has a great performance as a blind hitmen that was once friends with Wick and now is hunting him. Problem is: unlike Mark Dacascos on the third movie, who was going after Wick solely for the glory of defeating the Baba Yaga, Donnie was actually blackmailed into killing his former friend: he either does that or his daughter dies. He's a sympathetic character and, despite going against Wick, we don't want neither of them to die!

Another problem of the previous movies was that their plot was maybe too vague. But now the High Table is established as a formidable enemy and a threat not only to Wick but also to his allies and (as said above) even his enemies. Thanks to Bill Skarsgard, who plays the antagonist, even though I found him a bit too Pennywise-y lol.

Tyler Bates' electronic score is not something I'd listen on my own, but it works great with the movie.

Finally, the action is even better directed than before. There are so many mind-blowing action scenes, even when you think the filmmakers can't improve their game, they do it on the next setpiece. 

A great movie and a fitting end to the most game-changing action franchise of the last decade.

This video doesn’t particularly belong in this thread as it could easily be posted in the MCU or Marvel thread (but not DC I realize, interestingly - maybe that’s why I prefer DC movies as of lately), but there doesn’t seem to be a fitting thread for the topic.

I think the theory presented here is original and true: that when portraying a strong, independent modern female, Hollywood (intentionally or unintentionally) do it at the cost of romance, since any romantic plot-line would imply dependency, weakness and vulnerability.

It has previously been well debated that the “new” heroines who are portrayed to be infallible or who’s journey is without struggle or sacrifice will undoubtedly be unlikable. But this video adds the no-romance wrinkle which I though made sense. What do you think?

2 minutes ago, rough cut said:

I think the theory presented here is original and true: that when portraying a strong, independent modern female, Hollywood (intentionally or unintentionally) do it at the cost of romance, since any romantic plot-line would imply dependency, weakness and vulnerability.

they don't know how to write

i saw only a few seconds but i have to say that the mentioned Captain Marvel and Wonder Woman, none of which manage to be remotely interesting, really confused my gay brain with some of the choices

Why are people worried about fictional characters sex lives? Do they not have more important things to think about?

Guardians of the Galaxy, vol. 3

As @JNHFan2000 said it's clearly the best MCU movie since Endgame and perhaps one of the best MCU movie period IMO.

The story is pretty solid, the action sequences are great and I really enjoyed the esthetic of the movie which is really close to the comics. The only weaknesses of the film are the music which seemed too disconnected and the excessive use of unnecessary drone shots

Indeed, the ine letdown was Murphy's score. It's not really there. Amd when I did notice it, it was always material from Bates.

Either the main theme or the theme from "To The Stars"

1 hour ago, May the Force be with You said:

... it's just unnoticeable

That was once a sign of a good score.

1 hour ago, May the Force be with You said:

Guardians of the Galaxy, vol. 3

As @JNHFan2000 said it's clearly the best MCU movie since Endgame and perhaps one of the best MCU movie period IMO.

The story is pretty solid, the action sequences are great and I really enjoyed the esthetic of the movie which is really close to the comics. The only weaknesses of the film are the music which seemed too disconnected and the excessive use of unnecessary drone shots

is there a point to the darker cinematography in it?

Well the tone of the movie is darker than the previous ones (at least for some part) so I would say that the cinematography suits perfectly the movie

35 minutes ago, AC1 said:

That was once a sign of a good score.

I hear your point though here it's just having music to have music, it brings nothing to the storytelling

The Pope’s Exorcist. 

Full of cliches and the writing in general in paper thing but Crowe seemed to be enjoying himself!