Upcoming Video Games (and general video game chitchat)

Jay

I'm seeing all those reviews for Hogwarts Legacy, and despite having been a huge Potterhead in the past... Now I don't think I could care less about the game or the whole Wizarding World.

It's the game that I would love to play when I was 12 to 14, the height of my Potter obssession. Too bad that was in the mid-2000s and the technology wasn't sufficiently advanced to make a game of this size yet.

I always heard about how the OotP and HBP games had a fairly decent representation of being a student at Hogwarts, so I'm guessing the new game is either that in an updated fashion, or these reviewers never got to play those for whatever reason (though I doubt it if a lot of them I hear have been Potterheads in several senses).

23 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I'm seeing all those reviews for Hogwarts Legacy, and despite having been a huge Potterhead in the past... Now I don't think I could care less about the game or the whole Wizarding World.

It's the game that I would love to play when I was 12 to 14, the height of my Potter obssession. Too bad that was in the mid-2000s and the technology wasn't sufficiently advanced to make a game of this size yet.

I never played them but the movie era Potter games were supposed to be great, right? 

3 hours ago, SilverTrumpet said:

I never played them but the movie era Potter games were supposed to be great, right? 

I tried only the HP1 and 2 PS1 games, and I thought they were pretty abysmal, with a weird gameplay. I never got used to Harry jumping between obstacles automatically, all the player has to do is to walk towards a chasm that the character jumps by himself. It's a weird feature for a platforming game.

On 06/02/2023 at 11:09 PM, SilverTrumpet said:

The game was a great Call of Duty, that's for sure! I just think most people rightfully thought they were getting Goldeneye again. Not everyone reads previews and everything like I do. 

Bond video games are a mixed bag. Best ones outside of GE (for me) were probably Everything Or Nothing, Nightfire and Blood Stone (although Nightfire using Brosnan's face but not his voice was a little weird). 

We're more than two years into the generation. That's about halfway through a typical console cycle. They're definitely already thinking of game development for PS6. Playstation R&D probably already knows what it looks like.

The PS5 released in 2020.  Of course a game targeting a 2026 release date will have a PS5 and PS6 version.

It'll be like how Final Fantasy VII Remake dropped in April 2020 for PS4 (a system that came out in 2013), then the PS5 dropped in Nov 2020, so the PS5 version of FFVIIR dropped in June 2021.

3 hours ago, King Mark said:

The PS5 JUST became widely available

AAA dev cycles are 4-5 years on average these days. Naughty Dog is currently working on The Last Of Us multiplayer game, which will probably release in 2024. I don’t think a Part III or their next game will be out anytime soon. 

• 2 weeks later...

If there's anybody here who wants the pixel remasters of Final Fantasy 1-6 on a physical cartridge for the Switch / physical disc for the PS4,  Play-Asia has either for $75

https://www.play-asia.com/final-fantasy-i-vi-pixel-remaster-collection-english/13/70g0qp

6 years ago today Hollow Knight launched (on Windows)

I never played it until the Switch version launched in 2018 but goddamn if it wasn't an amazing experience, and easily one of the very best video games I ever played with one of my favorite game scores to boot

Last year I replayed it - rare for me as I never have time to play half the games I bought let alone replay games - and loved it even more, it cemented my love for it.

I was hoping so much there'd be news today about its sequel, but alas.  Team Cherry, I hope the sequel is mindblowing with the huge amount of time you're spending on it!

8 years without a Rocksteady DC game, and this is the best they could do? 

I mean, in comics, the Suicide Squad is known for having a lot of different members with distinct powers, so they could've gotten very creative with the gameplay. But this looks like just a generic shoot-em-up.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else confused why they are remaking Resident Evil 4 already instead of doing Code Veronica first?

I don’t remember how Code Veronica fits into the mainline franchise. It’s a side entry, no?

RE4 is considered the best game in the franchise. Makes sense to me that they would just go 2, 3, then 4. I don’t anticipate them remaking any of the others. Maybe 5, certainly not 6. 

I’m more puzzled as to why they didn’t remake the first game again and started with 2. 

Code Veronica is basically RE4, and the game they called RE4 should have been called RE5, and subsequently every game since should have been one number higher

RE1,2,3, and CV all take place in late 1998.

RE1 is Chris and Jill in the mansion

RE2 is Leon and Claire in Racoon City

The first half of RE3 is Jill in between RE1 and RE2, and the second half is Jill after RE2, ends with Racoon City getting nuked

CV is Claire after RE2, before the RE3 ending, in Paris looking for Chris.  Later she gets captured and you play as Chris looking for her.

RE4 (should be 5) is when the game finally jumps to years later, and follows Leon on a mission to rescue the president's daughter

RE5 (should be 6) is set 5 years after that, and has Chris on a new mission and involves a brainwashed Jill

RE6 (should be 7) is set 3 years after that, and you control Leon and Chris

RE7 (should be 8) is set 5 years after that and has new protagonists

RE Village (should be 9) is set 3 years after that and has new protagonists again

0 is dumb, I did not have fun playing that game

Anyways my point was it would have been nice to complete remaking the original set of games all set around the same 1998 set of events before moving on to the later ones that shifted the series away from its roots a bit

And also to point out that Claire has been shafted in this series for some reason :p

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else think it's funny that the two biggest games of the year so far are a remaster of Metroid Prime and a remake of Resident Evil 4, two Gameclube classics?

8 hours ago, Jay said:

Anyone else think it's funny that the two biggest games of the year so far are a remaster of Metroid Prime and a remake of Resident Evil 4, two Gameclube classics?

Retro games are fantastic.  Maybe because for me they were games of my childhood, but they really nailed game play, story, immersion.  It's probably my favorite genre.  I see remakes as a trying to bring those classics to a new audience and I'm in favor of that.  Not to say genre's can't be innovative but something to be said for those classics too and why they are so loved. 

Yeah, as soon as Ubisoft pulled out I couldn't think of anyone left that would be worth having a show for. I still subscribe to the only print gaming magazine left in the US, I will die on the physical media hill, but its, and E3's, time has passed. There are so many better ways to get this information out.

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/3/2023 at 3:42 PM, Jay said:

that the two biggest games of the year so far are a remaster of Metroid Prime and a remake of Resident Evil 4

Hogwarts Legacy?

• 3 weeks later...

I checked out the article you linked and wow, there are some cool games on there. I'm personally looking forward to ""Hogwarts Legacy"" and ""Starfield."" But, on a more serious note, have you ever struggled with financing your video game purchases? If so, you might want to check out turbodebt reviews. It's a website that helps you compare and find the best loans and rates out there. Definitely worth a look if you want to save some money and avoid debt. Anyway, back to the games - I also thought it was interesting that Capcom remade RE4 before Code Veronica. And ""Silksong"" looks super cool too! Can't wait to see some gameplay trailers for it. Thanks for sharing the article and happy gaming!

Wow, we got an actual update about Silksong today.  I almost can't believe it!

• 5 weeks later...

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth trailer!

Woops, Japanese voice above, English voice here:

1 hour ago, A Farewell to Kings said:

Wasn't sure which thread (star wars specific, or generic video game) to put this in so...

Figured I'll give it it's own thread considering we had ones for the previous games

Damn!  I was hoping Image and Form's next Steamworld game would be Steamworld Dig 3, but it's not :(

I can't find the other videogame thread anymore so I finished Elden Ring .took 3 months. 191 hours to do all the contents.

Overall awe inspiring game and one of the most epic videogames of all time but feels very solitary to play as there's not much in NPC interaction. The main fault of the game is that most of the sidequests are nearly impossible to complete without an online guide. I would have missed 80% of them and progression is vague and dependant on a number of specific factors that you had to randomly stumble upon in a gigantic open world with no quest markers or quest log. And you can fail most of them by simply exploring new areas .

For those who found Dark Souls hard this is easier. You have access to summons that act as a party member and  fight bosses with you and ease the difficulty by quite a bit .I only struggled on the final boss. In general exploring areas was harder than most bosses in this game. But I played a mage with ranged combat and melee might be harder