John Williams Writes New Theme for ESPN College Football Championship - OF GRIT AND GLORY

DangerMotif

Whoa, cool!

I have zero connection to American football, but I love his theme for Sunday Night Football from years and years ago. That one sounded like a remnant from the SW prequels. Looking forward to whatever this is.

"shifting seamlessly from martial urgency to anthemic splendor, all richly orchestrated and instantly mémorable" 

Can't wait to hear it :)

If he's still around in 2028, he WILL write something for the olympics. 

As I age, I am much happier with a notification of new piece that I get to hear in a couple days versus the Hollywood overture and Vienna piece that took a year/s.  

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

My mom (and essentially everyone on her side of the family) is a University of Georgia alum so we were already pretty excited for next Monday's game, but now this on top of it!

As another UGA alum, this is pretty doggone cool!!  A second straight shot at a National Championship with a new Williams piece leading it off?  Heaven.

1 hour ago, Garrett said:

Fake news!

The article has also been updated to fix that part

Before:

He hasn’t written music for television since his “Great Performances” theme for PBS, which won a 2009 Emmy.

After:

He hasn’t written music for broadcast television since his “Great Performances” theme for PBS, which won a 2009 Emmy; his theme for “Obi-Wan Kenobi” debuted earlier this year on the Disney+ streaming service.

10 minutes ago, Gibster said:

New Burlingame quote added 

Williams’ new music – previewed for Variety late Thursday – plays like a joyful overture, opening with fanfares and shifting seamlessly from martial urgency to anthemic splendor, all richly orchestrated and instantly memorable

That isn't new, that was always in the article

WHAT HAVE WE DONE TO DESERVE THIS????!!!!!!

:woop::woop::woop:

It's the Feast of the Epiphany today in Catholicism, so I guess this year it's gold, frankincense, myrrh, grit, and glory!  And on the last day of Christmas, I think it's appropriate to say...

tumblr_pjchkcUJu41qzwoilo2_400.gif

3 hours ago, Gibster said:

opening with fanfares and shifting seamlessly from martial urgency to anthemic splendor, all richly orchestrated and instantly 

John Goldfarb Arabian/Irish fight song quotes confirmed!

2 hours ago, igger6 said:

WHAT HAVE WE DONE TO DESERVE THIS????!!!!!!

:woop::woop::woop:

It's the Feast of the Epiphany today in Catholicism, so I guess this year it's gold, frankincense, myrrh, grit, and glory!  And on the last day of Christmas, I think it's appropriate to say...

tumblr_pjchkcUJu41qzwoilo2_400.gif

Alleluia and Amen!

5 hours ago, Jay said:

The article has also been updated to fix that part

Before:

He hasn’t written music for television since his “Great Performances” theme for PBS, which won a 2009 Emmy.

After:

He hasn’t written music for broadcast television since his “Great Performances” theme for PBS, which won a 2009 Emmy; his theme for “Obi-Wan Kenobi” debuted earlier this year on the Disney+ streaming service.

Also fake news! It was last year! 

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

It’s literally airing on television

Well, aside from that and the obvious youtube uploads, how might one hear this?  

Here is something I always wanted to know: is John Williams a sports guy? I mean, when he's not working, does he like to sit in front of the TV with a beer in a hand and watch the NFL, NBA, baseball, or whatever sports Americans like to watch?

This is such exciting news! I don't often watch college football (prefer the NFL) but will make sure to tune in to this. 

3:30 of new, extroverted Williams fanfares is such a treat. What a wonderful surprise, totally out of the blue. The maestro never ceases to amaze.

According to Lukas Kendall, as a youngster, his only other interest besides music were girls: https://www.lukaskendall.com/post/john-williams-90th-birthday

I think there was some interview with his younger brother Donald, where he said basically the same thing.

So I would assume that while he plays a little golf, he doesn't spend much time watching sports, probably uses his non-composing time reading scores by Beethoven and Brahms.

7 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Here is something I always wanted to know: is John Williams a sports guy? I mean, when he's not working, does he like to sit in front of the TV with a beer in a hand and watch the NFL, NBA, baseball, or whatever sports Americans like to watch?

He has a good sense of the moment, and it is just a natural extension of scoring films.  Even if not a big sports fan, he gets what makes it attractive to so many people.  I am not sure how much of a football fan Goldsmith was or Newman for baseball, but they didn't really need to be to capture the drama (and far surpass it, imo).  

I was wrong.  The article said that it would be previewed during the two games today.  I thought it would be the halftime of the first game (as they talked about Monday's game), but they didn't.  Maybe between the games?