John Williams Writes New Theme for ESPN College Football Championship - OF GRIT AND GLORY

DangerMotif

1 minute ago, Gibster said:

It’s kinda funny and crazy at the same time we’re all going nuts over a great piece of music that in 2 weeks John Williams will completely forget about

If he didn't already

Shame about the obvious edit right at the end. I guess someone clever here will fix it with the preview audio 

16 minutes ago, p0llux said:

This should do for now. Enjoy.

Just FYI I did post the uncompressed audio stream a few hours ago in a private thread.

I think someone might’ve posted it above but a great short version aired during halftime! (From which yesterday’s promo was evidently excerpted)

The wonderful ostinato bumper was used again right after. (Also used at end of third quarter. And again just now at the end of the game broadcast.)

Man, this is way better than I expected—and I expected it to be great! I LOVE the lyrical secondary theme that first shows up in the horns at 1:23 in the video Jay posted!!! 1:23-1:38 and 2:46-3:03 are some of my favorite things I've heard from JW in years!

EDIT: What do we think are the chances for a digital release of this as a single anytime soon?

Just FYI, anyone with a cable subscription (or ESPN+ subscription perhaps?) can watch a replay of the game at https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/id/4f2ca7b5-a367-4e3e-ace0-715ae6e3b47e. (The replay starts after the full video was aired, but covers the great short version heard during halftime as well as various excerpts and bumpers).

1 hour ago, Dr. Know said:

This piece goes really well with "Overture to the Oscars," which also needs an official release (at least we have the live broadcast recording).

They sound like companion pieces.

7 hours ago, igger6 said:

Zimmer replaces the Superman March in Man of Steel, Williams gets his theme into Justice League and the League of Super Pets trailer. 

Zimmer does a rock concert tour, Williams plays Vienna, Berlin, and Milan. 

Zimmer takes soccer, Williams takes FOOTBALL.

Zimmer takes BBC Wildlife, Williams Jurassic Park.

I get a bit of an Amazing Stories vibe with the main melody.  I also entertain myself by think the joyous nature of the theme on trumpet is another glare by Williams to JJ for cutting a similarly structured Speeder Chase.  

This piece is a new instant favorite of mine, it's a lot of fun and has some real 'magic' to it. Of the semi-recent stand-alone concert type works such as Centennial Overture, Obi-Wan, Galaxy's Edge and Solo, this one is my favorite by far!

I do hope we get a digital release.

It was the most lopsided win in college National Championship history, and it beat the record by 20 points.  TCU really couldn't be more embarrassed.

As someone who has long wanted an expanded playoff bracket for FBS football, TCU getting to this game was a good argument for it IMO.  I think a sixteen team bracket would be a good number.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

It was the most lopsided win in college National Championship history, and it beat the record by 20 points.  TCU really couldn't be more embarrassed.

As someone who has long wanted an expanded playoff bracket for FBS football, TCU getting to this game was a good argument for it IMO.  I think a sixteen team bracket would be a good number.

And as a Georgia fan I was eating it up, even if I got bored in the 3rd quarter, lol.  I'm okay with the 12 team system they're starting with, although I wouldn't be sad if UGA slid in a three-peat next year before the bracket system starts in 2024.  And got chills listening to JW's music, which I desperately want to hear sans voices/SFX.

With the way he keeps accepting commissions, he's (hopefully) greatly increasing the likelihood that some orchestra and label will see potential in a "Late Concert Works" collection.  

Peter Boyer manages to release multiple albums of his original concert works. With Williams all we get are performances of the same film score cues over and over and over.