John Williams Writes New Theme for ESPN College Football Championship - OF GRIT AND GLORY

DangerMotif

8 hours ago, Tydirium said:

Interesting comment on that YT video:

"I was always disappointed they left out 3:47-3:56 in the actual video, despite using it in the advertisements for the game. Thanks."

Can anyone else confirm this? I (like others on this board) thought this bit was new, but is it possible that it was in the original piece/recording, and the ESPN crew just cut it out for the video?

Yes, it should be discussed earlier in this thread when it debuted and people noticed right away the bit in the preview video wasn't in the final video 

On 7/1/2023 at 10:19 PM, LB Makes Stuff said:

It’s an MP3 if that’s okay 😂

That’s me lol.

But no, that part is not new, it’s from the original ad that was played after the Jags game on ESPN. (Audio posted above)

I didn’t see your post Jay, whoops

8 hours ago, artguy360 said:

This piece isn't really clicking with me as much as JW's other recent works. I think it works well with the video, but doesn't stand out on it's own. Will give it more listens.

I think the slower tempo doesn't help.

Speeded up version to 1.25 normal speed for anyone who finds the pace too slow. I'm not sure if there will be such a version under this link, but you can also do it yourself on YouTube in the video settings.

Of course, this is just for fun. I hope it'll be released in the right quality and at the right pace on the Maestro-prepared album with various fanfares, similar to American Journey / Call of The Champions CD.

29 minutes ago, Pawel P. said:

Speeded up version to 1.25 normal speed for anyone who finds the pace too slow. I'm not sure if there will be such a version under this link, but you can also do it yourself on YouTube in the video settings.

Of course, this is just for fun. I hope it'll be released in the right quality and at the right pace on the Maestro-prepared album with various fanfares, similar to American Journey / Call of The Champions CD.

Hope it includes a few other odds and ends such as We're Looking Good, which doesn't have a commercial recording.

2 hours ago, Pawel P. said:

I hope it'll be released in the right quality and at the right pace on the Maestro-prepared album with various fanfares, similar to American Journey / Call of The Champions CD.

Has a new album been announced or something?

3 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

Has a new album been announced or something?

Unfortunately not. But it's not impossible that it will be in the future.

• 3 months later...

Excellent.  Williams has made this available for public performances, then.  It has the potential of being a new staple (plus a nice rejoinder to those who claim he has somehow lost the ability to craft instantly memorable tunes).  

17 hours ago, Tom said:

Excellent.  Williams has made this available for public performances, then.  It has the potential of being a new staple (plus a nice rejoinder to those who claim he has somehow lost the ability to craft instantly memorable tunes).  

Those are people not worth listening to.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 6/1/2023 at 9:53 AM, DangerMotif said:

He recorded several takes of the main piece as well as briefer excerpts, “a re-join piece and a vamp,” Sciallis reports;

We heard all heard the main theme and the vamp. (They played the vamp at the beginning of the game just before Georgia ran out onto the field. Look up the TCU v. Georgia championship game on YouTube if you want to hear it.)

But what about the re-join piece? What even is a re-join piece? Have we heard it? Will we ever hear it?

3 minutes ago, Garrett said:

What even is a re-join piece?

I assume it's coming back from commercials basically.

Forget it -- that doesn't work effectively.  I'm still listening to the Chicago concert recording of the piece.

I'll endorse AI when it can transform the crappy video into a studio quality recording of this piece 

15 hours ago, Dr. Know said:

Forget it -- that doesn't work effectively.  I'm still listening to the Chicago concert recording of the piece.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTeMv6is8RzTGWsVAdYM19

JW already wrote music for basketball, football... When will he write something about soccer? Perhaps something for a video about the lives and careers of Neymar Mbpappé, Cristiano Ronaldo or Lionel Messi?

8 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

And baseball is covered with Fanfare for Fenway!

9138fc91-9447-4bd1-b9fa-6a0490b3084b_tex

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

JW already wrote music for basketball, football... When will he write something about soccer? Perhaps something for a video about the lives and careers of Neymar Mbpappé, Cristiano Ronaldo or Lionel Messi?

I'd settle for a Fanfare for Carlton Palmer if it came from the pen of John Williams!  As well as in Stepmom, there are also some football scenes in Story of a Woman, but I cannot remember if any of them are scored by Williams (pun intended).  The main character played by James Farentino is a footballer and is shown scoring a goal intercut with what appears to be some genuine footage of a match between AS Roma and Juventus, I think.

Perhaps our Johnny is looking at combining a concert trip to Berlin with the Euro 2024 final so that he can have it large.

According to this article, the piece will be featured again in the championship game tonight. 

https://www.sportsvideo.org/2024/01/08/we-are-go-for-launch-what-to-know-about-espns-cfp-national-championship-presentation-from-houston/

Last year's game ended up being one of the worst championship games ever so I'm really happy they are going to continue to use it so more people can hear it. I'm a little bummed though because my team lost last week in the semifinals. 

2 hours ago, Toillion said:

According to this article, the piece will be featured again in the championship game tonight. 

https://www.sportsvideo.org/2024/01/08/we-are-go-for-launch-what-to-know-about-espns-cfp-national-championship-presentation-from-houston/

Last year's game ended up being one of the worst championship games ever so I'm really happy they are going to continue to use it so more people can hear it. I'm a little bummed though because my team lost last week in the semifinals. 

A new presentation using the Maestro’s piece? Count me in. Now, do us all a favor and officially release the piece itself!

Playing now but not in isolation. Underscoring a montage full of narration and sound effects.

Just saw it as well!  Pretty cool as a Nebraska alum seeing back to back shots of JW and “touchdown” Tommie Frazier running through 8 Florida defenders on his way to a TD 💪🏻 😂 

5 hours ago, Toillion said:

Sez you- this Georgia fan loved last years game 😂 Can understand other viewers not being as excited by it though. 😉

Here we go! What a pleasant surprise -- I was not expecting ESPN to keep using this incredible theme (which might be my favorite piece JW has written in recent years). As others have noted, this version is not really any cleaner than the one that aired last year, but it's still awesome.

ESPN also used at least one of the bumpers JW wrote on the broadcast (you can hear the first half-second or so of the bumper at the end of the clip above).

UPDATE: Here is the portion of the bumper from tonight's broadcast, which was also used last year. Be warned: It's covered under loud dialogue. But it's fun and reminds me of JW's NBC News work: