Best Sounding Score ( recording )

tedfud

Hi Peeps

Been a while, Hope all is well . Was wondering ( as I test my new studio set up ) what the HIVE's Opinion/Choice was on the best recorded full orchestral score was. I am really liking Crystal skull ( again just sound ) at the moment. Any favs ?

best

e

Just now, tedfud said:

ok...thanks and just to be sure the last ABBEY RD soundtrack was ROTS ?

best

e

Yup.

Unless you count that Disneyland thing William Ross conducted.

Karol

21 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

A New Hope will always be my favorite recording

yeah...well I LOVE it but sonically it's kinda ruff. Playing is perfection. But they where really hampered with the size of the desk

best

e

43 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

The mix in TLJ is fantastic. The clarity and resonance of Lincoln is strong. TPM is also a great sounding score.

Yes it's fantastic. Especially THAT cue

e

11 minutes ago, crumbs said:

The Lost World must be one of Shawn Murphy's best recordings, gloriously bassy too. Specifically the La La Land 2CD presentation though (Mike Matessino's mastering) which has revelatory audio quality compared to the muddy and dull OST master.

Raiders is a sensational recording too, but we're still waiting for a modern remaster that properly showcases that score.

Totally agree about TLW! Such a full and eclectic sound and every instrument has room to breath with great bass.

Ok

Well thank you for all the suggestions. The biggest variation I hear in all these is the Brass. Specifically the horns. TLJ are massive and DARK and set back whereas Raides they are much smaller and closer. If memory serves he usually sticks to 6 horns so it's just a balance choice. Again maybe it's abbey road vs SONY !. TLW is a great score but the percussion makes it unusable for my requirements . Changes the profile to much. The potter films actually DO sound fantastic . Weren't they done at AIR ?. Perhaps ABBEY ROAD suits tighter sharper writing ?

Listening yesterday I think it's going to be the last jedi. with Chamber Of Secrets a close second. The Brass in the opening Cue of TLJ is just wonderful . But the Horns are very very loud. Normally they'd be close to half the weight of the trombones. But as you can hear they are just as loud ! And at 3;58 almost cover the Trumpets. I was at the Barbican ( I know!...NOT a good sound ) with my son for a JW concert and the Bones and Trumpets where twice as loud as anything else at all times. 

I know this is a hollywood thing ( Jerry Goldsmiths and the Mummy's 6 TUBEN and 6 HORNS ) 

Best

e

I think 99% of all commercial soundtrack releases sound good, even though that sound can be different (warm, cold, close-miked, spacey etc.). So I wouldn't really be able to pick any favourites, also because the type of sound one prefers can be very subjective and vary. It's far easier to pick out the few that are NOT good, for whatever reason (MOUNTAINS OF THE MOON, the Perseverance release of RAIN MAN, the scratchy noises in THE EDGE and so on).

9 hours ago, Holko said:

The parts where it's so overboosted that it blows out are especially signs of the best recording ever.

Well, pretty much all modern recordings are now mixed on CDs to be "in our faces". Some recordings are good, even with that kind of mix.

Now if you look only for Dynamic Range, these JW CDs & Digital releases have the best average DR:

• DR18 Slatkin / Williams: Violin Concerto - Flute Concerto
  • DR17 Shi-Yeon Sung & Ann Hobson / Williams - On Willows and Birches
  • DR16 Slatkin / Williams - Concerto For Violin And Orchestra
  • DR15 The Spielberg-Willams Collaboration (Sony)
  • DR15 John Williams & Gil Shaham Treesong (Sony)
  • DR15 Yo-Yo Ma Plays the music of JW (Sony)
  • DR15 Gerhardt / Williams - The Empire Strikes Back (1992 reissue)
  • DR15 Harjanne / Williams - Trumpet Concerto 
  • DR15 Slatkin / Williams - Cello Concerto
  • DR15 Baer - Schumann & John Williams Co
  • DR15 Romanul / Zaretsky - Duos for Violin and Viola
  • DR14 Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984 OST)
  • DR14 Empire of the Sun (1987 OST)
  • DR14 The Witches of Eastwick (OST, I tested the 2012 reissue)
  • DR14 The Star Wars Trilogy (Sony)
  • DR14 I love a Parade (Sony)
  • DR14 The Green Album (Sony)
  • DR14 Joy To The World (Sony)
  • DR14 Music for stage and screen (Sony)
  • DR14 Williams on Williams (Sony)
  • DR14 Gershwin Fantasy (Sony)
  • DR14 Superman (John Debney, 1998 re-recording)
  • DR14 Star Wars - The Phantom Menace (1999 OST)
  • DR14 Star Wars - Attack of the Clones (2002 OST)
  • DR14 John Williams & "The President's Own" United States Marine Band (2021)
  • DR14 The Missouri Breaks (The Score from the 2013 expansion)
  • DR14 1941 (The Soundtrack Album from the 2011 expansion)
  • DR14 Swing, Swing, Swing (Philips)
  • DR14 On Stage (Philips)
  • DR14 Bersntein by Boston (Philips)
  • DR14 Holst - The Planets (Philips)
  • DR14 Salute to Hollywood (Philips)
  • DR14 Pops a la Russe (Philips)
  • DR14 Pops by Gershwin (Philips)
  • DR14 Mehta / Williams - Star Wars Cinema Gala (1988 reissue)
  • DR14 Andreas Martin Hofmeir / On the Way
  • DR14 Gloria Cheng / Montage: Great Film Composers and the Piano
  • DR14 Slatkin / Williams - Bassoon Concerto "5 Sacred Trees"

6 hours ago, tedfud said:

Ok

Well thank you for all the suggestions. The biggest variation I hear in all these is the Brass. Specifically the horns. TLJ are massive and DARK and set back whereas Raides they are much smaller and closer. If memory serves he usually sticks to 6 horns so it's just a balance choice. Again maybe it's abbey road vs SONY !. TLW is a great score but the percussion makes it unusable for my requirements . Changes the profile to much. The potter films actually DO sound fantastic . Weren't they done at AIR ?. Perhaps ABBEY ROAD suits tighter sharper writing ?

Listening yesterday I think it's going to be the last jedi. with Chamber Of Secrets a close second. The Brass in the opening Cue of TLJ is just wonderful . But the Horns are very very loud. Normally they'd be close to half the weight of the trombones. But as you can hear they are just as loud ! And at 3;58 almost cover the Trumpets. I was at the Barbican ( I know!...NOT a good sound ) with my son for a JW concert and the Bones and Trumpets where twice as loud as anything else at all times. 

I know this is a hollywood thing ( Jerry Goldsmiths and the Mummy's 6 TUBEN and 6 HORNS ) 

Best

e

I believe the first Potter was mostly AIR with a little bit at Abbey Road. Then the second was all Abbey Road.

This is 100% subjective, but I can't fathom choosing a recent LA score, largely because of the brass and especially the trumpets. There's a strange quality to the tone that's somehow both underwhelming and grating for me. I suspect it has more to do with recording techniques than the performers, but it's hard to be sure.

I do tend to like recordings with some substantial 'verb, but my brass issue isn't just a simple matter of how wet the recording is. There are relatively dry scores recorded at Sony that sound great to me—JP, for instance. Go figure.

4 hours ago, Datameister said:

This is 100% subjective, but I can't fathom choosing a recent LA score, largely because of the brass and especially the trumpets. There's a strange quality to the tone that's somehow both underwhelming and grating for me. I suspect it has more to do with recording techniques than the performers, but it's hard to be sure.

I do tend to like recordings with some substantial 'verb, but my brass issue isn't just a simple matter of how wet the recording is. There are relatively dry scores recorded at Sony that sound great to me—JP, for instance. Go figure.

I know what you saying. The brass has generally got a lot more brittle and snappy over the years. I suspect it's to fight FX tracks. Also everything is so much wetter. JAWS, Early STAR WARS where much dryer . 

My fav modern recording

Best

e

Most of the expanded releases we've been getting sound good enough,except RotJ special edition

I can remember more the OST's that didn't sound good :Dracula,Jaws and Jaws 2, Return of the Jedi...

In the film mix itself there's something unique about Empire Strikes Back