Titanic - 2023 theatrical re-release (HFR & 3D)

Jay

33 minutes ago, Jay said:

even though the 25th anniversary was 2022

I'm sure I saw it again in February of 1998. I saw it a bunch.

But seriously, it was January and February where the money started to get ridiculous. I forget how many weeks in a row where the box office went UP week over week.

Man. 1998 seems late but I still bought that movie on VHS. (Why not laser disc, I wonder?) I guess I didn't get a DVD player until 1999.

I know I got my first DVD player for Christmas 2002.  I know because I got it specifically so I could watch Fellowship of the Ring Extended Edition :D 

And yes of course we had the Titanic double VHS

"In celebration of its 25th anniversary, a remastered version of James Cameron’s multi-Academy Award®-winning “Titanic” will be re-released to theaters in 3D 4K HDR and high-frame rate"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHY7D7K58BM

Can anyone explain to me how you can show a movie in high-frame rate when that movie was shot on film at 24 frames per second?  Like... isn't it by definition limited to the 24 actual physical film frames that were captured for every second?

I dunno, at least with 3d post-conversion it's just altering the images that already exist.  Creating completely new frames in between the existing ones??  Sounds expensive and like it probably isn't very good.

25 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Can anyone explain to me how you can show a movie in high-frame rate when that movie was shot on film at 24 frames per second?  Like... isn't it by definition limited to the 24 actual physical film frames that were captured for every second?

TVs have been doing that since the days of 100Hz CRTs, back when I really have no idea how the technology of the day could do that (and live, too). Today you probably just have to grab some random interpolation algorithm from some library.

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yup!  They fake new in-between frames with computers!  It's similar to how they fake 3D for films shot in 2D

But fake 3D usually looks ok to me. I expect there's some manual step (helped, no doubt, by tons of automated heuristics) to define the depth information for each image/scene.

But frame interpolation has always looked horribly fake and distracting, and not just because of the human brain being used to films running at a lousy 24 fps (as opposed to TV, for example).

29 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Double the speed, with the added bonus of a thankful bladder.

On 10/01/2023 at 4:36 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

But fake 3D usually looks ok to me. I expect there's some manual step (helped, no doubt, by tons of automated heuristics) to define the depth information for each image/scene.

But frame interpolation has always looked horribly fake and distracting, and not just because of the human brain being used to films running at a lousy 24 fps (as opposed to TV, for example).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting it to look good or be worth it, I was just explaining what it is

28 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

The 3D bit isn't new - Cameron had it converted years ago. As far as conversion jobs go it was done exceptionally well.

I saw it in 3D in 2012 and I was really impressed with the conversion. A lot of thought had gone into how to utilize the 3D from what I remember.

Yeah it was done for the 100th anniversary of the actual event, and released April 2012 theatrically. It hit Blu-ray in September of 2012 with the open-matte 3D conversion spreading two discs, the remastered Cinemascope on a single disc, and a fourth disc of bonus features. 

To date the Blu-ray (both 3D and 2D transfers) are still razor-sharp and stunning (as in they still hold up in the decade since). It's the revisionist color changes that taint it. 

19 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

I'd like to see it in black and white. Might add a fresh visual perspective.

Just turn the colour down, on your telly. It's what I do. MINORITY REPORT in black and white, is very effective.

17 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I dunno, at least with 3d post-conversion it's just altering the images that already exist.  Creating completely new frames in between the existing ones??  Sounds expensive and like it probably isn't very good.

I do it all the time.  There are AI upscalers that can take frames and guess what would be between to make it 60 fps or higher resolution.  They do the same for resolution upscalers where it guesses between pixels.  For this flyby of Jupiter, I upscaled it and made it 60fps.  The clip I downloaded was jumpy (maybe 15 or 20 fps) so the AI guessed between the frames for smoother final result.  My upscaler is just a low cost option, I'm sure Jim Cameron would be using Peter Jackson's multi-million dollar technology.

17 hours ago, Clockwork Angel said:

It's come undone on one side?

It's the same as on the original poster, it's just uncropped.

image.png

I quite like the negative space on the new poster, I see a custom score cover in my future 🙂

22 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I'm sure I saw it again in February of 1998. I saw it a bunch.

But seriously, it was January and February where the money started to get ridiculous. I forget how many weeks in a row where the box office went UP week over week.

Yeah technically we're closer to its 25th anniversary now than most of 2022 would be

13 hours ago, NL197 said:

It's the revisionist color changes that taint it. 

I wonder if one can purchase glasses with tinting that removes revisionist colour timing. Perhaps with an EDI link to an online database with preset auto-calibration data for individual film releases.

I want to see it. Looks like it might be good. I sure hope the ship doesn't sink.  

I hope they seat us in the theatre by class...

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Half the people reading this won't see it.

Not the better half

30 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I've heard it's the extended cut; 4 hours.

the big lebowski GIF

There are tons of deleted scenes. I wonder why Cameron hasn’t made an extended cut (excluding the alternate ending though which doesn’t really fit with the rest of the movie).

From the deleted scenes I thought that the fabrizio storyline was a nice addition though but I get why it was cut.

2 hours ago, Mr. Who said:

There are tons of deleted scenes. I wonder why Cameron hasn’t made an extended cut (excluding the alternate ending though which doesn’t really fit with the rest of the movie).

From the deleted scenes I thought that the fabrizio storyline was a nice addition though but I get why it was cut.

God, the alternate ending is terrible. Haven't seen the others, though.