Titanic - 2023 theatrical re-release (HFR & 3D)

Jay

47 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Extremely stupid question, but is this coming to all countries? Only there's no info about it on my local cinema website at all.

A couple of UK cinema chains have announced that it's upcoming.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Why would a local cinema on January 12th have info about their February 10th movies?

Marketing...

My theatre does all it can to advertise 

On 11/01/2023 at 11:30 AM, LSH said:

But it's made from this photo...

image.jpeg

They couldn't get them in the same room to take a picture? lol.

Did they decide they liked this picture, then went back and did a special photo shoot with Leo holding his arms out in front of him in a circle?

I don't understand why they're re-releasing it in HFR -- the movie was not shot digitally and not intended for anything higher than 24 fps.

But the 2012 3-D conversion was fantastic and not gimmicky at all. I will definitely see it in theaters next month, depending on the formats available in my area. Might even splash out for an IMAX showing.

7 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Am I one of the only people in the world who feels that re-releases, of any film, should not be added to their original box office?

I don’t see why it shouldn’t be added, as long as it’s substantially the same film.

7 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

the budget should always de updated because these rerelease with gimmicks dont come free…

Sure. But what difference does it make? It doesn’t impact box office standings.

Where else should the proceeds go to except to the box office total of the original film. I’m seeing LOTR1 next week in the cinema and the box office obviously should go to LOTR1 for all re releases or showings of the movie.

4 hours ago, Mr. Who said:

Where else should the proceeds go to except to the box office total of the original film. I’m seeing LOTR1 next week in the cinema and the box office obviously should go to LOTR1 for all re releases or showings of the movie.

Indeed. And as far as I can tell, even the Extended Edition screenings (which I suppose you could argue are different films) they have in the cinema count towards the film's box office take.

For those interested, Box Office Mojo breaks down the box office numbers by release. But the re-release numbers are still counted in the domestic/worldwide cumulative.

Titanic

LOTR

On 13/01/2023 at 8:17 AM, Sweeping Strings said:

Does the 3D mean you'll duck when the iceberg appears, and reach out in hope in Kate's topless scenes?  

No but because of the open matte you see her entire rear end (and a bit of the carpet) as it's no longer cropped out of the cinemascope framing. 

I'm slightly confused about how it can be shown in HFR - how many fps is a film usually shot in? I know cinema showings are 24 but I didn't think the actual shooting was done at high as 60.

I didn't like it with The Hobbit anyway - I think film needs a bit of the judder you get with 24fps to look like film. It looked unnatural to me at 60.

7 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I'm slightly confused about how it can be shown in HFR - how many fps is a film usually shot in? I know cinema showings are 24 but I didn't think the actual shooting was done at high as 60.

I didn't like it with The Hobbit anyway - I think film needs a bit of the judder you get with 24fps to look like film. It looked unnatural to me at 60.

On 10/01/2023 at 4:16 PM, Jay said:

They fake new in-between frames with computers!  It's similar to how they fake 3D for films shot in 2D

I understand the appeal of a 3D conversion - whatever individual opinions are, it does add something to the experience if that's your thing. It's astonishing to me the amount of work it must take to do it to the standard that Titanic and Jurassic received as both of them look amazing.

But increasing the frame rate... I assume it's some clever algorithm to which they then do some manual corrections, but surely there's a limitation. I mean, they couldn't take a film or video at like 15fps (think webcams in the late 90s) and upscale the frame rate without basically making up the frame? There's too much missing information, expecially if there's a lot of movement.

Youtube's full of ancient 12 FPS footage updcaled, framerate adjusted and colorised. Have you seen They Shall Not Grow Old?

Just like converting 2D footage to 3D, converting 24 FPS footage to a higher FPS can be done well or can be done poorly.

I'm expecting the general consensus of Titanic's new HFR upgrade to be largely "meh" but we'll see - Cameron sure can surprise

I was skeptical of the 3D conversion but Cameron proved me wrong there.

But creating entirely fake/digital frames, so half the film you're watching is essentially artificial? That seems like a step too far. I can't understand how they're going to remove or reduce motion blur of moving objects, considering that's all determined by a shutter speed and aperture operating at 24FPS. You can't just create "in between" frames with the same amount of motion blur without it looking unnatural (because half the point of higher frame rates is reducing the motion blur in individual frames by half, if you're doubling the frame rate).

I am surprised he hasn't tried to release an extended cut of Titanic like he did for Avatar (one extended cut in theaters, another even MORE extended cut on one of the Blu-Rays). But part of me is glad... the deleted scenes in Titanic are interesting on their own, but I think would break the flow if put back in. And definitely NOT that weird alternate ending that was done better on SNL, LOL.

Quick thought: Do people like Titanic more than the Avatar movies, these days?

I am not too excited about the HFR for Titanic, but I am stoked to see it in 3D again. I saw it that way in 2012, I believe, and will echo that it was really impressive for a 3D conversion (similar to how good Jurassic Park's was). I think timing it with Valentine's Day this time is honestly really smart. Although, hmm... is it actually a romantic movie? Or is it a better breakup movie? ;) Find out, won't you?

On 14/01/2023 at 10:03 AM, JNHFan2000 said:

Am I one of the only people in the world who feels that re-releases, of any film, should not be added to their original box office?

I've always felt it's bit weird and it keeps happening with lot's of different films

Especially with old films, where adding significant inflation dollars to the tally is tantamount to cheating.

That way, you could bring literally any classic film over a certain treshold.

1 hour ago, scallenger said:

Titanic are interesting on their own, but I think would break the flow if put back in.

Pretty sure Titanic's flow has already been broken.

53 minutes ago, Bespin said:

You realize how Titanic is old when you see what Leonardo Di Caprio and Kate Winslet look like now! :lol:

Titanic's 25th anniversary means it's now officially too old for Di Caprio!

• 2 weeks later...

Hope there's a bluray release with some cool special features, like those on the blu-ray 30th anniversary edition of Aliens, an Isolated Score option 😁😅🤪 but I don't think so....

On 12/1/2023 at 10:15 AM, Jay said:

Why would a local cinema on January 12th have info about their February 10th movies?

I don’t know. What does God need with a starship?

These are questions. Questions that need answering.

1 hour ago, Jokerslb said:

Hope there's a bluray release with some cool special features, like those on the blu-ray 30th anniversary edition of Aliens, an Isolated Score option 😁😅🤪 but I don't think so....

Why would you need an isolated score? Someone made a truly astounding one already.

7 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Why would you need an isolated score? Someone made a truly astounding one already.

I don't know how many times I'll have to say this, but the existence of a bootleg is never, ever, ever a good reason to not make a legitimate release of something happen! 

Right, but they had their chance to prove they had a perfect iso score with that concert leak and it was far from perfect. I'm pretty sure that whatever legal release they might end up doing at one point, the fan-made one will still be more accurate.

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I just saw it. And I have to say it was incredible. The picture quality was oustanding (although I don't know how much the 3D added, but maybe that is because I'm not a fan of it overall).

I hadn't seen the film in around 12 years and I'd never seen it in the cinema, because I wasn't born yet😌. So this was so cool to see it on a big screen. I had goosebumps multiple times (when the shio takes off, The King Of World scene, tge iceberg scene, the final moments of the ship) and I cried (when Nearer My God To Thee plays and the older couple lie together on the bed).

Kate Winslet & Leonardo DiCaprio are both so great in this and their chemistry is off the charts.

I just had an incredible experience

I heard it's in a higher frame rate. Is that true?

On 10/01/2023 at 4:06 PM, Disco Stu said:

"In celebration of its 25th anniversary, a remastered version of James Cameron’s multi-Academy Award®-winning “Titanic” will be re-released to theaters in 3D 4K HDR and high-frame rate"