Titanic - 2023 theatrical re-release (HFR & 3D)

Jay

14 hours ago, Jay said:

I heard that some cinema chains aren't showing the HFR version. So not sure if it's definitely all showings worldwide, or a mix and match of different formats.

Oh for sure, HFR has never been 100% thing.  Tons of theaters around the world will never upgrade their projects to be capable of running it

I'm a little fearful of the HFR. I'm going to see it tomorrow in the same screen I saw Avatar 2 in, so I'm guessing it will be.

On 09/02/2023 at 3:05 PM, LSH said:

I'm a little fearful of the HFR. I'm going to see it tomorrow in the same screen I saw Avatar 2 in, so I'm guessing it will be.

Saw it tonight in IMAX 3D. It was spectacular.

The 4K remaster is very noticeable. Incredible clarity and yet it loses none of the character of the 90s film stock it was shot in. The HFR is, for the most part, not even that detectable. It all works.

What stuck out the most is an evidently improved sound mix. Really stunning. The music stands out a lot more in the mix (those anvils REALLY pierce through in the Hard To Starboard scene).

I recommend any and all big fans of the film to catch this while it's out. 

10 minutes ago, LSH said:

The 4K remaster is very noticeable. Incredible clarity and yet it loses none of the character of the 90s film stock it was shot in. The HFR is, for the most part, not even that detectable. It all works.

I'm most curious about the HFR. Is the entire film remastered in the higher frame rate, or just certain shots (like Avatar 2)?

Does it resemble the awful "smooth motion" effect that modern TVs have on by default?

Just now, crumbs said:

I'm most curious about the HFR. Is the entire film remastered in the higher frame rate, or just certain shots (like Avatar 2)?

To be completely honest with you, I couldn't tell. There were only a couple of times that I noticed it being a higher frame rate than normal, and even then it wasn't that much.

I am totally relieved that it didn't take anything away from the experience.

41 minutes ago, LSH said:

To be completely honest with you, I couldn't tell. There were only a couple of times that I noticed it being a higher frame rate than normal, and even then it wasn't that much.

Fascinating. I wonder if it's been used strictly to reduce motion judder that 3D tends to create on fast-moving shots.

I just got back from seeing the film. Holy cow, I did not except the 2012 Blu-Ray to be instantly put to shame. This is the best the film has ever looked and sounded. Regarding HFR, there were only a few instances of exterior shots of the Titanic, visual effects, that utilized HFR, and it was to the film’s advantage; and, it was not a distraction at all. The majority of the film retained its original 24 fps. Picture: the 4K restoration is amazing. The 3D conversion was jaw-dropping; an unforgettable experience. Not to mention that the sound was impactful in the right moments. When this restoration gets its eventual 4K Blu-Ray release, I am easily swapping the 2012 Blu-Ray.

7 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Fascinating. I wonder if it's been used strictly to reduce motion judder that 3D tends to create on fast-moving shots.

There was no motion judder at all.

3 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

Holy cow, I did not except the 2012 Blu-Ray to be instantly put to shame.

Oh, they removed that stupid tint? The Titanic looks white again instead of green and the sky blue instead of sickly greenish teal?

We saw it last night too.

We had ONE break: after Cal threw over the table. And they stopped a few seconds into the chapel scene. We didn’t like that. And we needed the bathroom really badly after part two.

From where I sat, the score was mostly on the left while the dialogue and effects were on the right. Definitely did not hear anything from the back, though some trumpets and parts of I Salonisti were mixed in a more balanced way. I THINK the dome implosion music might have sounded a little louder, but honestly didn’t notice any difference in the audio, though it all sounded very good, of course. They did mute the applause at the end. Good decision. Has that ever been done before?

And my companion didn’t like the 3D aspect at all. Nobody I have talked to in all these years seems to like it. She said it only slightly added a bit more depth to the whole experience.

52 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

Wow. I just saw it. It was sensational. I must have not had the HFR version for some damn reason, because it was obviously in its standard frame rate, but man, the 4K was gorgeous. It looks better than pretty much every film released today.

The 3D was the best I've ever seen. Yes, even better than his Avatar films in my opinion. Which is weird. Maybe it's because of the real world setting is much more familiar to judge visually for us than an alien world. I was awe-struck at the 3D. Completely flawless and immersive. It made me feel like I was watching it for the first time. 

...and good lord what a film. Just a masterpiece of cinema. Cameron is ridiculous. I love appreciating the filmmaking techniques, like the actual huge exterior water tank set of the ship, and the detailed inside sets. The models as well are stunning and the seamless integration of model work with sets and miniatures is bloody unbelievable filmmaking. 

I saw it in the cinema as well! The film is amazing as always and the 3D remaster looks incredible. Better image quality than many moves that are made today.

Seriously the clarity and the overall picture quality is better than many movies released in the last few years and the remaster doesn’t change the general look of the film which is intact. I also have a feeling that the 3D is better than it was in 2012, the added depth in the whole movie really gives an extra layer of immersion. Cameron truly knows how to use 3D! Even in scenes on the promenade, it enhances the film and obviously when they’re leaving port and you see the titanic from the POV of the people waving. You really feel how huge the ship is even more thanks to the 3D! The score is great of course (it’s one of my favorite scores of all time) and I’m again impressed by the way in which it is used. I know all the edit points but it works so well!

It’s funny seeing Avatar 2 vs Titanic at the Box office. I’m definitively looking forward to seeing A2 for a 4th time in the coming month for sure!

Re releases of films like these should be a more common occurrence. I remember seeing almost all the Nolan movies in the cinema in 2020 when they were all shown and it’s just such a different experience than watching at home.

59 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

Re releases of films like these should be a more common occurrence.

Totally agree! True masterpiece films that really show the art of filmmaking in all its glory should be shown in cinemas with random uprades here and there. 

Next month I got tickets for Aliens in the cinema for a one night only showing (One of my all-time favourite films and in my opinion, one of the best films ever made. And a damn Cameron film too of course haha he's pretty good it seems). After seeing the flawless 3D in Titanic, I would LOVE a similar treatment of Aliens. Can you imagine a 4K 3D remaster of Aliens!? All those hallway scenes and the bloody alien queen in Cameron quality 3D! 

11 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

Totally agree! True masterpiece films that really show the art of filmmaking in all its glory should be shown in cinemas with random uprades here and there. 

Next month I got tickets for Aliens in the cinema for a one night only showing (One of my all-time favourite films and in my opinion, one of the best films ever made. And a damn Cameron film too of course haha he's pretty good it seems). After seeing the flawless 3D in Titanic, I would LOVE a similar treatment of Aliens. Can you imagine a 4K 3D remaster of Aliens!? All those hallway scenes and the bloody alien queen in Cameron quality 3D! 

I am seeing LOTR 3 and hopefully 2 as well in the cinema in march! They’re showing the extended versions and I saw the first one in January which was great.

I’ve actually never seeing Aliens or Alien… they’re on my watchlist though.

11 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

I am seeing LOTR 3 and hopefully 2 as well in the cinema in march! They’re showing the extended versions and I saw the first one in January which was great.

I’ve actually never seeing Aliens or Alien… they’re on my watchlist though.

ooooo LOTR extended cinema release would be great. Hope I can find a showing somewhere one day.

YOU HAVEN'T SEEN ALIENS!!!? haha damn. I like and appreciate Ridley's Alien, and it has to be seen to truly understand Ripley's point of view and experiences in Aliens, but Alien isn't my thing. That kind of horror is not my cup of tea. Aliens' horror is more sci-fi action based, like Starship Troopers, so it's far more my taste. 

But yeah you have to see them. Alien is a masterpiece of terror, and Aliens is a masterpiece of horror action. 

On 11/02/2023 at 2:20 PM, Trope said:

And while I'm still fascinated at how much Horner's score was re-edited and shuffled around and spliced and layered etc. etc. (and I'm still trying to figure out where pieces of music were originally intended to fit in), I think the choice to end the film with "A Life So Changed", "Rose" and then bring it home with "Unable to Stay, Unwilling to Leave" was a brilliant move by Cameron and the editing team, and it affected me more than I was expecting (considering I've seen it all before many times). I understand that Horner wrote "An Ocean of Memories" to the original (now alternate) ending, which was all over the place in terms of tone, and as a result, it never felt like a completely satisfying conclusion to the musical narrative.

Agreed, the problem I always found with An Ocean of Memories is the constant shifting of tone and the lack of a 'wrap up' feel to it. The fact that it doesn't match what's in the film is essentally the final nail in the coffin for me. My playlist goes from the boats section with Jack's death directly into my bonus section because neither album (OST or LLL) gives me a satisfying ending which bears any resemblance to the film.

The two moments I recreated for my playlist were a part of the sinking sequence where some material from, I think, Rose's suicide attempt were tracked in, and later on where she's rescuing Jack and some of the opening underwater exploration was tracked in. I've seen the film a couple of times, and not knowing about the rampant tracking and editing, those two sequences always stood out to me musically.

Of course, I would never expect an official expansion to include those edits - I would expect the most finalised original composition available, but I will never apologise for using those materials to selectively hear what the editors did.

3 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

The two moments I recreated for my playlist were a part of the sinking sequence where some material from, I think, Rose's suicide attempt were tracked in, and later on where she's rescuing Jack and some of the opening underwater exploration was tracked in. I've seen the film a couple of times, and not knowing about the rampant tracking and editing, those two sequences always stood out to me musically.

I only recreated the ending so that the score actually has an ending, Ocean of Memories went to the bonus section.

...and replaced Post with Hymn to the Sea which it's a reduction of. And restored some of the source music into the main program. And swapped Leaving Port with the alternate. And combined the Southamptons' openings. And combined all the remaining alternates etc. with the Back to Titanic pieces into a 7 piece 2 hour suite.

5 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

I went to theater to see it and it's still incredible. The 4K remaster is impressive however the 3D is such a shame, it brings nothing but poor greyish colour

I think that's an issue with the theater's projection itself. 

I saw it yesterday afternoon and the colors were exactly as I'd expect - it looks like a 4K upgrade to the Blu-ray in terms of its colors....which unfortunately means it's got the same yellowish tint. 

The Blu-ray from 2012 has the standard 2D in Cinemascope, and the 3D in open-matte. Both look the same in terms of their revised color timing change, but no 'poor greyish' color you speak of. 

I chose the IMAX screening expecting it to be the same open-matte aspect ratio as the 2012 IMAX release / Blu-ray 3D version. To my surprise it was the CinemaScope version on an IMAX screen. That's not a film issue, but a theater issue. 

It boasts a crystal clear image without a hint of grain, but every intricate detail, every bead of sweat, Billy Zane's glued-on hairline, all razor sharp. The effects shots are obviously (and understandably) softer, but not dramatically so. 

It was not a HFR presentation so I can't comment on that. 

IMAX doesn't have Atmos / DTS-X so it was the standard 5.1 audio.

The issue I'm speaking off is due to the 3D tech which (IMAX excepted) always tend to give a greyish, flat aspect to the images. Now IMAX 3D uses two different projectors to render the 3D without loss in the intensity of colour while regular 3D is just about one projector losing intensity. Now if you add to that the dark 3D glasses you got pretty greyish colour

• 3 months later...

Using this topic to ask... in one scanned version of the script that I got off the internet, there are studio evaluations and comments attached at the end. Including... well...

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

excuse me but what the everloving pile of jesus fuck is this??? No trace of such a thing in the script itself, it's very close to the final film in general. It's not even in the treatment which is further in details but still close enough. Did some dumbass studio heads misunderstand some pitch relayed to them through 5 other people this badly???

• 7 months later...