ANALYSIS: John Williams and Howard Shore: The Perfect Wagnerites

Chen G.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Please define.

The whole text kinda defines it, but in thinking about leitmotivic works one's mind races to operas like Salome, Pelleas et Melisande, Wozzeck and to some films like Steiner's King Kong or Williams' Hook. But those are all single-evening works, and not necessarily all that lengthy, at that: there's only so many themes and theme-groups you can establish in such a span and only so much development you can put them through.

You do have other film series that have used leitmotives: Williams' own Indiana Jones, his Harry Potter scores, John Barry's work on James Bond or Akira Ifukube's work on Godzilla, but they're episodic, and so only so much of the material can be developed over the span of the work as a whole.

Ontop of that, many works that we speak of colloquially as leitmotivic don't necessarily comply with the particularities of that definition: be they Wagner's own later works or other operas or film scores, single-standing or serialized. Thay may be so either because the themes don't undergo development and/or because they aren't organized according to specific associations with narrative elements.

Really, that leaves us with these three works. Someone (though not I) could even make the bold statement that they take the Wagnerian practice further than The Ring, both due to having a larger scope (more entries AND more music) and incorporating elements of Wagner's later practices that were never incorporated into The Ring.

• 2 months later...

From the same New Yorker article, "If Mr. Hanslick were alive, I think I’d be sitting on the side of Brahms in the debate." Williams certainly borrowed the concept of Leitmotif from Wagner, but that's where the comparison stops for me. His style is much more influenced by Tchaikovsky, Rimsky-Korsakov, Stravinsky, Copeland, and Vaughan-Williams. Even his overtly romantic scores from the 70's are closer to Mahler's highly contrapuntal middle symphonies than the operas of Wagner. Shore is much closer in style to Wagner, and utilizes his Leitmotif techniques in a much more literal, and dare I say, derivative way.

1 hour ago, Schilkeman said:

Williams certainly borrowed the concept of Leitmotif from Wagner, but that's where the comparison stops for me. His style is much more influenced by Tchaikovsky, Rimsky-Korsakov, Stravinsky, Copeland, and Vaughan-William

Well, there are two aspects to this: the content of the music - melody, harmony and I'd also say orchestration - and the structure of the musical storytelling. In terms of content, I'd agree Williams is much more in the camp of Tchaikovsky et al. Heck, in terms of content Shore isn't at all Wagnerian, either!

But structurally, Williams' works are indebted not just to the leitmotif of the Ring but just as significantly if not more, to the structure of two warring musical factions from Lohengrin and Parsifal. Its hardly surprising: Lohengrin and Parsifal were always more popular, and much more influential, than was The Ring.

I’m not even saying Williams was influenced by Lohengrin as such: his Wagnerian influence seems to be second-hand: either through his studies and/or through Wagnerian film composers of the previous generation; whom, again, we think of as being influenced by The Ring where they probably more influenced by Tristan and Parsifal.