John Williams consulted NASA about the science of E.T.

Edmilson

3 hours ago, ciarlese said:

I think he mentioned that himself during the Milan concert.

Vienna, too (or was it Berlin?) - which makes me wonder if the timing works out with the claim that he asked a NASA astronaut in 2022. Berlin was in 2021, but Vienna II was in March 2022. When exactly was Williams at NASA?

1 hour ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I dont remember that anecdote from berlin, saturday concert at least

I've definitely heard him say it live; I feel like it was even one of those things I've heard him say twice. Could have been on both the Vienna II dates, or possibly Berlin Thursday & Vienna II, or at least one of the two. (Unless it was already at Vienna I, but I figured it wouldn't have been that far back).

23 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I've definitely heard him say it live; I feel like it was even one of those things I've heard him say twice. Could have been on both the Vienna II dates, or possibly Berlin Thursday & Vienna II, or at least one of the two. (Unless it was already at Vienna I, but I figured it wouldn't have been that far back).

Did he perhaps reflect on the esxape velocity of a bicycle during last year's podium interview (before the Jurassic Park live screening)?

13 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

Did he perhaps reflect on the esxape velocity of a bicycle during last year's podium interview (before the Jurassic Park live screening)?

I meant: I remember being there in the room when he said it. So it could only have been Vienna or Berlin (it wasn't Tanglewood, and I haven't seen him live elsewhere). It included him saying that he consulted scientists and citing the number (and stuttering or mis-pronouncing "escape velocity").

He talks about it here:

The context was finding the rhythm and tempo of the scene, he looks for anything that can help him so started thinking about how fast the bike's would have to spin their wheels if it really went over the moon.

3 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I meant: I remember being there in the room when he said it. So it could only have been Vienna or Berlin (it wasn't Tanglewood, and I haven't seen him live elsewhere). It included him saying that he consulted scientists and citing the number (and stuttering or mis-pronouncing "escape velocity").

I have the same kind of vague memory. Perhaps Vienna 2, or Thursday in Berlin when he was very talkative. 

My memory is now overridden by Milan where he also went into such physical detail.

I know John Williams mentioned the whole escape velocity issue in a Q&A he did at UCLA (or USC?). It was a multi-part upload on Youtube but I can't seem to find it anymore. I remember it distinctly because I remember thinking "Dafuq?". Seriously, JW, stick to your day job...

7 hours ago, Tom said:

I think its Williams's oblique way of wondering why the boys have to peddle at all (and the story sounds funny).  

I guess they do it out of habit.

17 hours ago, BB-8 said:

And that it's actually the sun during the end sequence.

In that case I want a refund.

Alternatively, Steven could replace the sun with a gigantic walkie-talkie. 

On 17/01/2023 at 1:03 AM, Tom said:

I think its Williams's oblique way of wondering why the boys have to peddle at all (and the story sounds funny).  

What are they peddling?