National Treasure: Edge of History (2022-)

Stark

2 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

How is the music?

I’ve only had a chance to listen to the main title, which is great - it has both original themes and new material with all the cliche Latin-sounding guitars I was hoping for.

Yeah, here are some more details on the album. It's again by Rabin, with additional music by Paul Linford. Also, the album apparently contains some songs too.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2023/01/17/national-treasure-edge-of-history-soundtrack-album-details/

1. Main Title (1:41)
2. Church Heist (0:44)
3. Escape Room – Paul Linford (2:06)
4. Masonic Temple (3:08)
5. Hidden Artwork – Paul Linford (1:28)
6. Be Brave – Jake Austin Walker (3:07)
7. Duerme Descansa (1:10)
8. Trade Oren for Relic – Paul Linford (2:03)
9. Puzzle Box (2:06)
10. Gift Shop Trap – Paul Linford (2:44)
11. Searching Sudusky’s Study (2:25)
12. Hey Dreamer – Jake Austin Walker (2:02)
13. Mom Knew About Treasure (3:42)
14. Cracking the Box (1:29)
15. Real Exterminators – Paul Linford (2:18)
16. La Paloma Clue – Paul Linford (4:01)
17. Suspicious Minds – Jake Austin Walker (3:42)
18. Oxygen Level 40% (6:19)
19. I Miss That Van – Jake Austin Walker (2:35)
20. Shame on Me – Jake Austin Walker (2:53)
21. Charge! (2:16)
22. Jess Meets Papa Salazar – Paul Linford (3:11)
23. Organ Clue (3:59)
24. Beside Me, Besides You – Jake Austin Walker (3:05)
25. Run! – Escape Pt. 3 (2:37)
26. Let’s Find Out – Trevor Rabin & Paul Linford (3:21)
27. Hendricks Is Salazar – Paul Linford (1:55)
28. Which Way (2:37)
29. The Great Treasure (5:29)
30. Another Treasure (1:00)

Haven't watched the show, but the first two scores had some nice moments here and there, so I guess I will give this score a listen. It's already in Spotify, and I guess some other streaming platforms too.

It is wild how much of a time capsule this score is. It immediately took me straight back to that era. I was worried an OST wasn't going to happen so I'm glad to hear it has!

I'll be honest - I'm disappointed in the Main Title, it feels a bit like a hodge podge. Almost like he has written something cohesive and someone asked, last minute to include the latin influence in there.

It just doesn't flow for me, kind of starts and stops.

Really love the first two scores - they're so fun, so I'm happy to have some more in that collection.

The show is certainly fun to watch, although it has some moments that are an insane stretch even for the world of National Treasure.

11 minutes ago, LSH said:

Rabin's been absent for way too long. I didn't even know he was scoring anymore.

Agreed. Wild that this got him back out of the wood work. I'm eager for him to also do National Treasure 3 if that ever gets off the ground.

So. Finally sitting down to listen to this. I gotta say, I wasn't expecting the Album to start with an Alt Version of the Main Title. It's got a nice guitar solo and a less jarring ending. Why didn't they use this one?!

15 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

So. Finally sitting down to listen to this. I gotta say, I wasn't expecting the Album to start with an Alt Version of the Main Title. It's got a nice guitar solo and a less jarring ending. Why didn't they use this one?!

Is it an alt or a demo/

43 minutes ago, Clockwork Angel said:

Is it an alt or a demo/

Okay, probably not a full alternate, but it's not a demo. Seems the guitar solo was just edited out in the show, but this does have a different ending. Other than that the waveforms match.

12 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

Okay, probably not a full alternate, but it's not a demo.

By demo, I didn't mean mockup, just basically a presentation of a theme ala the Hobbit AUJ bonus tracks or other scores

37 minutes ago, Clockwork Angel said:

By demo, I didn't mean mockup, just basically a presentation of a theme ala the Hobbit AUJ bonus tracks or other scores

Oh you mean a suite / concert arrangement I see.

I listened to first half or so of the album and it's sort of okay. The guitar bits in the main title don't really fit - it really does feel like they'd composed the cue and then decided or were asked to put some inserts in.

The rest of the score fits in with the synthy sound of the movies but it didn't particularly grab me.

I'd consider watching the series if it was shorter (or, you know, a movie).  Nearly 10 hours of National Treasure, especially without Cage, is many more hours of National Treasure than I could ever possibly desire.

I suppose, but I still think it could've flowed a bit more - that goes for both the visuals and the music (which I'm sure you're right, is influenced by the visuals). It's just hard to get into the Main Title with the abrupt changes. I would've preferred if they had tried to work the guitar in throughout at least.

On 22/01/2023 at 7:47 AM, Richard Penna said:

The rest of the score fits in with the synthy sound of the movies but it didn't particularly grab me.

Sure, it's not a phenomenal score from a certain standpoint. None of the movies really are if you compare them to things like Williams and what not, but I sure do love these. Even this one. I suppose they're kind of guilty pleasure-eqsue, but I don't even feel guilty about it at this point in my life. I think they're great.

This motivated me to do a listen of some of my playlists for the first two and yep - I just love jamming out to these. They're so much fun!

On 22/01/2023 at 7:50 AM, Disco Stu said:

I'd consider watching the series if it was shorter (or, you know, a movie).  Nearly 10 hours of National Treasure, especially without Cage, is many more hours of National Treasure than I could ever possibly desire.

It's definitely a tough sell. I'd say it's getting better as it goes. 

My big hope is that this will get a true National Treasure 3 going. 

On 21/01/2023 at 5:04 AM, Yavar Moradi said:

According to IMDb, Rabin scored Renny Harlin's film The Misfits in 2021, and seems to have had semi-steady work this past decade or so... certainly no slouch in terms of output considering the guy is pushing 70!

Yavar

He's also been keeping busy with other things, like Yes. I interviewed him back in 2018, where we talked about such things.

I don't have a particularly close connection to the NATIONAL TREASURE films, but I suppose this is worth a shot (after I first rewatch the films to jog my memory).

On 24/01/2023 at 4:32 AM, TSMefford said:

Sure, it's not a phenomenal score from a certain standpoint. None of the movies really are if you compare them to things like Williams and what not, but I sure do love these. Even this one. I suppose they're kind of guilty pleasure-eqsue, but I don't even feel guilty about it at this point in my life. I think they're great.

Guilty pleasure? Not really - only if you think that listening to large synth driven music is somehow inferior to pure orchestral music and that you shouldn't be enjoying it, and I'm not going into that debate...

I like bits of the two scores and Rabin's score fit well in both cases. This is more a case of the music itself sometimes not being overly interesting, at least upon first listen.

3 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

only if you think that listening to large synth driven music is somehow inferior to pure orchestral music and that you shouldn't be enjoying it, and I'm not going into that debate...

Some people do indeed feel that way it seems. Lol.

2 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I know, it was a veiled attempt to poke fun at those for whom it's full, symphony orchestra or death...

When, honestly, quite a few of those are actually worse these days.

Oh well, we got to track 27... When I got to that track I wasn't really connecting the name to the person, but the last episode reminded me before the twist. At least the ending of the ep wasn't spoiled and I got surprised by something.

33 minutes ago, Gabriel Bezerra said:

Oh well, we got to track 27... When I got to that track I wasn't really connecting the name to the person, but the last episode reminded me before the twist. At least the ending of the ep wasn't spoiled and I got surprised by something.

Indeed, I had the exact same thing. I was quite surprised by the bloody death scene. Did not expect that. But she might not be dead.

I'm really enjoying this series. It's hard to talk about because not a lot of people are watching it, but every wednesday I really have a good time watching, just like with the films.

36 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

But she might not be dead.

Honestly I would take a "somehow Betsy survived a giant sword wound to the side" just because I grew very found of the character during these 9 episodes and will be sad to see her go like that.

39 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I'm really enjoying this series. It's hard to talk about because not a lot of people are watching it, but every wednesday I really have a good time watching, just like with the films.

I'm not seeing any discourse around this show too, but it's so much fun! Some things are way out there (the tech, what was that VR thing?!), but the characters feel real for the most part and their dynamic is good, could not stop laughing seeing them watching Winter Soldier, was very happy seing Riley and the tease about page 47, and the whole premise starting with Sadunsky was unexpected to me, as was the father twist.

I really enjoyed this series.

I was quite surprised by the body count in the final episode, but itger than that I thought it was very well done how they kept the whole thing interesting for 10 episodes. 

The cast really made a lot of it work and seemed to have a lot of fun.

I really would watch another season or movie of this. It reminded me very much of the type of films that got made in the 00's. It's not high art in any way. Just a lot of fun, without having to find some meaning behind the whole thing. 

Great stuff!

• 2 months later...

It was... fun enough! I enjoyed some more treasure hunt adventure hijinks. It certainly wasn't the films, but it was decent enough for my taste.

Disney just has hours to fill for streaming content, and I get the impression they're just throwing everything at the wall and seeing what sticks. They're really just digging deep on their IP (e.g. Willow), and I expect a lot more projects like this. If it was even marginally successful, Disney's going to make a show out of it.

I quite liked the first National Treasure, it was a lot of fun. The sequel was meh. Though I hope the failure of the series doesn't stop us from getting a (Nick Cage) third film.

Can’t say that I’ll mourn this show. I’ll mourn the idea of it, but not its execution.

I started to watch it, but didn’t finish. I stopped watching because I thought that some (actually a lot) of the scenes were just too cringy to watch. I liked the adventure/mystery part but it was too woke for me.

For a show that seems to have been made for purely brand purposes, it sure doesn't appear that people were well aware of its existence prior to the cancellation, given quite a few of the reactions after the news came out. I really don't know what that says, besides Disney not having much confidence in it after production finished (though I suppose Iger returning could be a contributing factor here). Given some of the elements that I hear are featured in it, maybe they just didn't feel like openly advertising it more with the hot water they're in with some folks.

This is a franchise where I only really know the music, given how much some peeps of mine are really fond of Rabin's work. I'm down with seeing the films eventually, since 2000s shlock is basically my bag.

The show leaves me more intrigued though, since quite a few of the elements seem rather strange to my outsider eyes, given NT is more well known for just how outlandishly one can describe it. I absolutely am not opposed to taking things in a different direction, but if the main appeal is supposed to be Nic Cage and company finding out American secrets in the most preposterous ways, then I really don't know where a discussion about the ways in which history can ignore contributions from minorities fits in. It half makes it sound like they took a concept they couldn't sell and slapped NT onto it (though with the amount of returning cast and crew, that couldn't possibly be the case).

Knowing the peeps I mentioned earlier though, I'm sure I'll find it's not actually that clunky once I see it (though I'm still bracing for "how do you do, fellow kids" vibes regardless).