Steven Spielberg is Making a John Williams Documentary

Manakin Skywalker

1 hour ago, HunterTech said:

Not a great first impression if this is what you decide to say after joining, not considering how many eyes aren't in said server.

(Also, it was inevitable anyway, so let him have it.)

Don't mind him, he's just continuing a running joke between them on my server (he wasn't referring to the JWFan server).

1 hour ago, Amer said:

Spielberg has recorded almost every recording session on his personal camera for his movies except Jurassic Park which he couldn't attend when he was away shooting Schindler's List. It would be awesome to see more footages from his collection.

And TLW because of Amistad, right?

Can't wait until it's officially announced! I'm not surprised he's been working on something but it was always just a hope until now.  

Definitely a broken record comment but yeah I hope he's not stingy with the recording session footage. I mean, you would think that's the whole reason for it because he knows he's sitting on a goldmine. Best case scenario would definitely be a doc series rather than a 2 hour feature which would still be better than nothing if it had new footage and interviews but it'd probably gloss over everything. 

Yeah. Well I think I'll keep low expectation I.E a 45 minutes mini documentary with 30% of new footage. And the thing would probably revolve around the man more than its music if that makes sense.

38 minutes ago, toothless said:

Yeah. Well I think I'll keep low expectation I.E a 45 minutes mini documentary with 30% of new footage. And the thing would probably revolve around the man more than its music if that makes sense.

And there will be 5-10 seconds clip from a few recording sessions.

23 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

The most disappointing thing would be if he were referring to a one hour network TV special with commercials or something like that, but that's such an outdated approach now and I don't think Spielberg himself would be involved if that's all it was. Especially if it's something they've been working on for a little while, it seems like it would at the very least be a short 80-90 min movie. It just kinda depends how comprehensive they want to be.

I'm guessing they'll use the Morricone documentary as a reference.

6 hours ago, HunterTech said:

Not a great first impression if this is what you decide to say after joining, not considering how many eyes aren't in said server.

(Also, it was inevitable anyway, so let him have it.)

Been here for a while, I lurk more than anything.

PLEASE let him make this.  See it the whole way through.

I'm not sure if you're familiar with Epic Rap Battle of history, but if you are then we can ALL agree with "Hitchcock" when he says "Half of your Billions should go to John Williams!"

25 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

OK, we've officially reached our quota for the day on the "all dead" jokes.  Everybody pack up and go home.

I agree.  It is time to be dead serious about this.  

4 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

They will hire Michael Gambon to deliver the line

Well the fatal line of course belongs to Spielberg.  So obviously he'll get Gabriel LaBelle (from The Fabelmans) to play himself and then digitally age him up to his 40s.

I much prefer a documentary to a film like The Fabelmans, particularly in the hands of a good director (which it will be) and with access to good footage (which should be the case).  

I like that Spielberg says that he is already working on it.  

This forthcoming documentary is exciting news! I hope George Lucas also gets involved and makes available any footage he has from the SW recording seshes. I'm already dead set on getting the 4K blu-ray when it comes out, no matter how long or short it ends up being.

(sorry, Disco Stu 😬)

16 minutes ago, Bayesian said:

This forthcoming documentary is exciting news! I hope George Lucas also gets involved and makes available any footage he has from the SW recording seshes. I'm already dead set on getting the 4K blu-ray when it comes out, no matter how long or short it ends up being.

(sorry, Disco Stu 😬)

Stu doesn't approve of 4K?

2 minutes ago, Loert said:

I think JW is the one you should be telling that to.

Agreed.  I understand his reliance on canned stories, assuming extemporaneous public speaking isn't his forte, but I mean.... you gotta find new bits.