Steven Spielberg is Making a John Williams Documentary

Manakin Skywalker

So the film could be good but the soundtrack will be edited all wrong and somehow at the wrong speed.

3 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I want to know why this Laurent guy is such a bad option. What did he do? I mean, besides not being Spielberg 

He produced the expanded Indy soundtracks box and... it has many, many problems :P 

10 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I want to know why this Laurent guy is such a bad option. What did he do? I mean, besides not being Spielberg 

I don't care one way or the other about the soundtrack producing bit. For me, it's rather the superficial treatment in the various Williams-related featurettes.

All over many bonus features, he makes by far the most generic overedited talking head ones, broken down needlessly into 10 minute separate featurettes all with a pointless 2 minute intro and 1 minute credits, they usually feel like some promo for a proper bigger docu with breathing room and depth that just doesn't exist.

Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I don't know that Spielberg has ever laid eyes on any of the behind-the-scenes docs and featurettes Bouzereau has produced "for him" in the past. But this will presumably be something that Spielberg is more hand on with.

Just now, SpaceCoyote said:

Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I don't know that Spielberg has ever laid eyes on any of the behind-the-scenes docs and featurettes Bouzereau has produced "for him" in the past. But this will presumably be something that Spielberg is more hand on with.

If this is best silver lining you can find..... well it's something I guess.

30 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

He produced the expanded Indy soundtracks box and... it has many, many problems :P 

Ohhhhhhhh I didn’t know he was tied to it.

The Ron Howard/Brian Grazer connection also tells me it'll probably be fairly safe 

Did anybody ever see Five Came Back? Seems like that got a lot of acclaim but that was also much longer....

But oh well. I'm officially expecting no masterpiece but depending on what previously unseen footage is in it, it could still be a treasure trove as a JWFan. I'll just say again

6 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

I'd still love a basic 2 hour doc mostly about the greatest hits with some segments on his personal life and non-film career, a lot of stories we've heard and some we haven't, lots of clips of him working. Maybe some "day in the life" stuff of him playing piano at home, or any home video clips his family would share. I'd watch it a million times. 

7 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Did anybody ever see Five Came Back? Seems like that got a lot of acclaim but that was also much longer....

I forgot he did that! It was really well done. There was certainly a greater amount of craft shown than in anything else I've seen from him.

Did he do the AFI featurettes? I feel like this is pretty much the kind of thing I'm expecting now. 

Obviously not unwatchable, the kind of thing that's fine for what it is but I always feel the lack of elaboration whenever I see feature documentaries built around this kind of filmmaking. 

Susan Lacy

But I didn't think that doc was any different from what Bouzerau will probably do? I remember one really great segment on the movie brats with a lot of home video footage of him hanging out with Lucas, Scorsese, DePalma, that was lovely. And a couple surprising comments from Spielberg, especially his regrets about The Color Purple. But it also ignored anything that wasn't universally popular and really said nothing new for those of us who have followed his career, or watched the A&E Biography or "Spielberg on Spielberg" specials, and it mostly featured a lot of interviews with people saying Spielberg's really awesome and nice! I also remember it jumping all around his career in kind of random ways. 

But this is what I'm saying lol, if this is pretty much like that it'll still be a fun watch. Just not like the amazing BBC doc of him working on Empire, or like Scorsese's documentaries. 

Biography was a series of documentaries on the A&E Channel and they did a 90 minute one on Spielberg, it was the first I ever watched and I remember it airing all the time on cable here in the US, it was how I became a Spielberg "expert" as a kid lol. It was similar to the HBO doc in style and the way it told the story of his career ("Jaws and Close Encounters, WOW! 1941, OH NO!") but of course shorter. 

"Spielberg on Spielberg" was also a 90 minute TCM Special directed by the critic Richard Schickel that consisted only of Spielberg talking about his movies. There is a YouTube playlist but the second part is missing. 

While Bouzerau doesn’t elicit an outright loathing from me, I can appreciate that his docs are surface level and lack artistry associated with a real deep dive. 

But honestly, I never expected that.  Even if it were under Spielberg. This isn’t intended for Us. It’s for the masses and casuals. 

I can say I’ve always appreciated Bouzerau docs often being the first to show outtakes or deleted material.  His E.T. Book is decent.   I guess I’m more looking forward to his access to rarities than his style.  But really anyone could provide that if given the access to footage. 

Would I prefer to hear how Williams replaced Legrand on Man Who Loved Cat Dancing’s troubled production instead of the Schindler anecdote?  You bet.  But there exists no world in any multiverse where that would happen. 

I was cautiously optimistic even with Spielberg’s vague and cagey response to the interviewer.  It’s easy to hope for more, considering Morricone’s doc, but (unpopular opinion) Spielberg is a little weird when it comes to choices and priorities.  I can’t help but be a little resentful that he doesn’t take the reins and do it right.  He owes a lot of his career to Williams. 

3 minutes ago, Andy said:

I can’t help but be a little resentful that he doesn’t take the reins and do it right.  He owes a lot of his career to Williams. 

Spielberg can always pull a POLTERGEIST…

The documentry should be narrated by Hans Zimmer.

I don't particularly like his music. But I like it, when he talks about John Williams.

And he really knows what he is talking about, and also from the role he plays in the industry as on of THE members of the next generation of film composers, he might have something to say on the topic.