Steven Spielberg is Making a John Williams Documentary

Manakin Skywalker

Zimmer will be an interviewee, no doubt 

I agree that I've always appreciated Bouzereau's score featurettes and we're all just being a bunch of snobby babies about his filmmaking. I love the Indiana Jones docs, I've watched them so many times. And he knows JW well, there's a trust there which is important between subject and documentarian. I really have no doubt that it's gonna be a very entertaining documentary above all. 

I understand the impulse to not want to seem like an entitled whiny fanboy, but you have to understand the context.  In the DVD boom of the 2000s, the gold standard was the amazing LOTR extended edition sets, and it was always a source of frustration for me (and clearly, many others) that the Spielberg DVDs felt like barebones cheapies in comparison.  For understandable reasons, it became the feeling amongst fans that LOTR got Michael Pellerin and Spielberg got... Bouzereau, so his name became like a symbol for shallow DVD releases.  Yes, you can make the point that this wasn't necessarily rational, but I think it is understandable.

The Spielberg DVDs look like full meals of extras in comparison to what gets put out nowadays of course.  We just didn't know how good we had it, or how brief the era of studios showering cash on DVD releases would be.

I maintain that a lot of his work was just not as good as it could have been, whether that's his fault, or Spielberg's, or whoever's.

That said, I hope to be proven very wrong with this Williams project.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I understand the impulse to not want to seem like an entitled whiny fanboy, but you have to understand the context.  In the DVD boom of the 2000s, the gold standard was the amazing LOTR extended edition sets, and it was always a source of frustration for me (and clearly, many others) that the Spielberg DVDs felt like barebones cheapies in comparison.  For understandable reasons, it became the feeling amongst fans that LOTR got Michael Pellerin and Spielberg got... Bouzereau, so his name became like a symbol for shallow DVD releases.  Yes, you can make the point that this wasn't necessarily rational, but I think it is understandable.

The Spielberg DVDs look like full meals of extras in comparison to what gets put out nowadays of course.  We just didn't know how good we had it, or how brief the era of studios showering cash on DVD releases would be.

I always assumed it was more a Spielberg thing (like how we never see any of his deleted scenes)

I just wish we had something like that ESB doc for a Williams/Spielberg collab. Fly-on-the-wall for spotting, piano demos, composing, orchestrating, copying, recording, mixing. The best we've got is that one clip of him and Spielberg working on ET. 

My dream would have been a super honest and intimate portrait of Williams like the documentary about pianist Martha Argerich's life done by her daughter. I realize this would've been impossible, but this is the format of documentaries that I strive to find and adore to watch.

It's called Bloody Daughter and you can watch it on YouTube for free. I really recommend it:

Alas, it seems we're gonna get the traditional stuffy type of documentary...

Oh well, at least it's better than nothing. Should be a decent watch, hopefully.

11 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

The documentry should be narrated by Hans Zimmer.

I don't particularly like his music. But I like it, when he talks about John Williams.

And he really knows what he is talking about, and also from the role he plays in the industry as on of THE members of the next generation of film composers, he might have something to say on the topic. 

Zimmer: "Williams' music is okay, pretty good actually. But I feel it doesn't have enough BWAAAAAHHHMS from the horns and Johnny Marr guitars.

If they are going for the fairly broad populist approach, I would ask Obama to narrate.  He seems to have a genuine respect for him and would heighten such an approach.  

And, no, I don't mean this suggestion as some stupid political remark.  

Not sure about that but I can definitely see him being interviewed. They'll probably have a moment for Air and Simple Gifts and the inauguration. Also he gave Williams the National Medal of Arts. 

I actually think Daisy Ridley could be a great narrator for this. She's been doing a lot of narration stuff already. 

One advantage of Spielberg not directing is that he can get with whatever is his next movie for Williams to score. 

10 hours ago, Tom said:

As boring as it would be the world, I would love a full, quality recording of a three-hour recording session instead of a documentary.  

That's my ideal JW movie as well. A deep dive inside the proccess of recording one of his famous scores, getting the cues right, etc. Sure, it'd be boring for everyone who doesn't care about film scores, but for film music fans it would be priceless.

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

That's my ideal JW movie as well. A deep dive inside the proccess of recording one of his famous scores, getting the cues right, etc. Sure, it'd be boring for everyone who doesn't care about film scores, but for film music fans it would be priceless.

"one of his famous scores"

My ideal would be E.T., Hook, Jurassic Park...but I hope we don't get a documentary circling only around The Fabelmans with all the sentiment and quite down-scaled scoring process.

I'm sure we will get a great documentary but I also expect most people here to be disappointed with it. I doubt that we will get so much new material we haven't seen before. But lets see.

37 minutes ago, Steve said:

I'm sure we will get a great documentary but I also expect most people here to be disappointed with it. I doubt that we will get so much new material we haven't seen before. But lets see.

The question is which audience "they" will be aiming at: the slow-grown community of die-hard JW fans or the superficial consumer society with its limited demands.

The question is, does it make sense to make a feature length documentation about the most famous living composer in the world assuming the audience doesn't know him and therefore concentrating on just presenting the five major milestones If his career and his greatest successes? I don't think so. But let's see what it will be.

• 9 months later...

Great news!  This also suggests it's an actual Spielberg project rather than something he vaguely supervised and shunted off to Bouzereau.  I am genuinely curious how it ends up using music.  Steven, I think it's time to put in a call to the Vienna Philharmonic Ball folks!

And come on, people.  13 likes is nowhere near enough for @Damien F's masterpiece.  I LOLed multiple times.

The big question is: who the heck is gonna score this doco? It's way too important to have generic library music, and seems potentially self-indulgent to score the whole thing with licensed Williams music.

Thomas Newman might be a fitting choice, or even Randy if Spielberg wants to complete his Newman Brothers trilogy. He could even write a song - Big Baton, Lotsa Cattle!

18 hours ago, Damien F said:

I wonder what a potential tracklist would be.

1. Main Title: New York, 1932 (4:06)

2. Dead Composers Anecdote (3:54)

3. John Meets Steven (2:34)

4. George's Theme (11:38)

5. Dead Composers Anecdote (Reprise) (3:54)

6. Arrival in Boston (4:35)

7. The Microediting Montage (15:48)

8. Dead Composers Anecdote (Reprise) (3:54)

9. Scherzo for Turtleneck and Orchestra (2:49)

10. The Lasik Scene (5:23)

11. Journey To Tanglewood (3:45)

12. Dead Composers Anecdote (Reprise) (3:54)

13. Welcome To Vienna (1:42)

14. Turning 90 and The Adventure Continues (7:03)

15. Dead Composers Anecdote (For Violin And Orchestra) (feat. Anne-Sophie Mutter) (4:21)

Original score coposed by Hans Zimmer Michael Giacchino

Original themes by John Williams adapted by William Ross

The City Lights Orchestra Lucerne of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Dirk Brossé

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I'm not sure it's "self-indulgent" to have the whole thing scored by licensed Williams music. It IS a documentary about him, after all. I can't remember if there was any original music in Tornatore's Morricone documentary, but as far as I could hear, it only contained the maestro's own music, sometimes playing underneath talking heads, sometimes allowed display in full scenes for maximum impact. I'm guessing the same will apply here.

I agree - I think it would work well and I don't really see how it would be self indulgent. Isn't the existence of the thing in the first place rather indulgent anyway?

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I'm not sure it's "self-indulgent" to have the whole thing scored by licensed Williams music. It IS a documentary about him, after all.

Exactly. I don't think anyone else's music would be appropriate - you wouldn't put anything but Mahler music in a documentary about Mahler (well, except for maybe in specific spots some bits by his teachers or pupils - a Castelnuovo-Tedesco piece would fit in Williams's case I suppose). An original score by Williams himself would indeed feel self-indulgent (and to nobody more than to Williams himself, I would imagine, so there's zero chance of that happening anyway). Existing Williams music is the only way to go. It's up to the editing to make it work.

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

It's way too important to have generic library music

Nah, hard disagree there. While a lot of library music is awful, generic fluff, an experienced music supervisor can find some really great pieces. In fact, I'd say it's basically the way to go if they scored the bulk with Williams' scores and just needed a few connective bits here and there. It wouldn't be worth asking a composer to write 10 minutes of music to be heard under talking heads.

But I know JWFan... full orchestral original score with a 2-CD, MM-produced, JW-approved release, or else!

This is a documentary about a musician and composer. It wouldn't cross my mind to hear any other music than his compositions or pieces that he performed at or musical influences. Does anybody here think, that there isn't enough material available to fill a 3 hours documentary?

45 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

This is a documentary about a musician and composer. It wouldn't cross my mind to hear any other music than his compositions or pieces that he performed at or musical influences. Does anybody here think, that there isn't enough material available to fill a 3 hours documentary?

Well, the BPO used stock music for a trailer for a Star Wars music concert, so who knows anymore.