JW' film music that should be played by Classical Music Elite

Bespin

I had the idea of creating this thread by reading an article I saw on the web, titled "Why isn't John Williams treated like Igor Stravinsky?". Why won't the Classical Music Elite play film music?

In the specific case of John Williams, which suites from a movie could be played in a classical music concert, like if it was a consistent Symphony or a Concerto?

Is it possible some movies simply lack of a Suite, preventing them to be programmed in a classical music concert?

I'd want the BPO to perform/record the Harry Potter and Star Wars suites as published. Conductor suggestions: Simon Rattle, Riccardo Muti, Benjamin Zander, Dirk Brossé.

Also, can Adam Fischer and the Danish Chamber Orchestra perform HP1-3 in their entirety?

If we start from the "Official" published (or recorded at least) Suites and Selections, we have "this", do I miss some?

Do any of these suites need to be updated?... Are they all programmable for a Concert... that's the question!

Suite from Star Wars
I - Main Title from Star Wars
II - Princess Leia's Theme
III - The Imperial March
IV - Yoda's Theme
V - Throne Room / Finale

Selections from Home Alone
I - Somewhere in My Memory
II - Holiday Flight
III - The House
IV - Star of Bethlehem
V - We Wish You a Merry Christmas / End Titles

Three Holidays Songs from Home Alone
I - Somewhere In My Memory
II - Star of Bethlehem
III - Merry Christmas, Merry Christimas

3 Pieces from Schindler's List
I - Theme
II - Jewish Town (Krakow Ghetto, Winter '41)
III - Remembrance

Selections from the BFG
I - Overture
II - To Giant Country
III - Building Trust
IV - Frolic
V - Blowing Dreams
VI - There was a Boy
VII - Snorting and Sniffing
VIII - Sophie's Future

Selections from The Post
I - Two Martini Lunch
II - Setting the Type
III - The Presses Roll
IV - The Oak Room, 1971
V - Mother and Daughter
VI - Deciding to Publish
VII - The Court's Decision

Selections from War Horse
I - Dartmoor, 1912
II - The Auction
III - Bringing Joey Home, and Bonding
IV - Learning the Call
V - Plowing
VI - Seeding, and Horse vs Car
VII - The Death of Topthorn
VIII - Remembering Emily
IX - The Homecoming

Suite from The Phantom Menace
I - The Flag Parade
II - Anakin's Theme
III - The Adventures of Jar Jar
IV - Duel of the Fates

Selections from Attack of the Clones
I - Accross the Stars
II - The Meadow Picnic
III - Return to Tatooine
IV - Love Pledge and The Arena
V - Confrontation with Count Dooku and Finale

Selections from Revenge of the Sith
I - Battle of Heroes
II - Padmé's Ruminations
III - Anakin's Betrayal
IV - Anakin's Dark Deeds
V - Anakin vs. Obi-Wan
VI - The Birth of the Twins and Padmé's Destiny
VII - A New Hope and End Credits

Selections from Lincoln
I - The People's House
II - The American Process
III - Getting Out the Vote
IV - Blue and Grey
V - The Southern Delegation and The Dream
VI - Elegy
VII - Appomattox, April 9, 1865
VIII - "With Malice Toward None"

Suite from The Force Awakens
I - March of the Resistance
II - Rey's Theme
III - Scherzo for X-Wings
IV - The Jedi Steps
V - Finale

Selections from The Last Jedi
I - The Rebellion is Reborn
II - Finale

Suite from The Rise of Skywalker
I - The Rise of Skywalker
II - Reunion
III - Finale

Children's Suite for Orchestra from Harry Potter

I - Prologue (Hedwig’s Flight)
II - Hogwarts Forever
III - Voldemort
IV - Nimbus 2000
V - Fluffy’s Harp
VI - Quidditch
VII - Family Portrait
VIII - Diagon Alley
IX - Harry’s Wondrous World

3 Selections from Harry Potter
I - Hedwig's Theme
II - Nimbus 2000
III- Harry's Wondrous World

Suite from Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
I - Fawkes the Phoenix
II - Dobby The House Elf
III - Gilderoy Lockhart
IV - The Chamber of Secrets

Suite from Harry Potter and The Prisonner of Azkaban
I - Witches, Wands and Wizards
II - Aunt Marge's Waltz
III - The Knight Bus
IV - A Window to the Past
V - Double Trouble

Selections from the Book Thief
I - The Book Thief 
II - Max and Liesel
III - The Snow Fight
IV - Learning to Read
V - The Departure of Max
VI - The Visitor at Himmel Street
VII - Finale

3 Selections from Memoirs of a Geisha
I - Sayuri's Theme
II - A Dream Discarded
III - Going to School

Suite for Cello and Orchestra from Memoirs of a Geisha

I - Sayuri's Theme

II - Going To School

III - The Chairman's Waltz

IV - Brush On Silk

V - Chiyo's Prayer

VI - Becoming A Geisha

Suite from Superman
I - Theme from Superman
II - The Planet Krypton
III - The March of the Villains
IV - Finale and End Tittles

Selections from Jurassic Park
I - Journey to the Island
II - Theme from Jurassic Park
III - My Friend, the Brachiosaurus
IV - Remembering Petticoat Lane
V - A Tree for My Bed
VI - Welcome to Jurassic Park

Suite from Far and Away
I - County Galway, June 1892
II - The Fighting Donellys
III - Joseph and Shannon
IV - Blowing Off Steam
V - End Credits

Suite from JFK
I - Theme from JFK
II - The Motorcade
III - Arlington

Suite from Jaws
I - Title Theme
II - Out to Sea / The Shark Cage Fugue

Suite from Jane Eyre
I - At Lowood
II - To Thornfield
III - The Return

Suite from Born on the Fourth of July

I - Theme

II - Cua Viet River, Vietnam 1968

III - Massapequa...The Early Days

Escapades For Alto Saxophone And Orchestra from Catch me If You Can

I - Closing In

II - Reflections

III - Joy Ride

5 hours ago, Bespin said:

If we start from the "Official" published (or recorded at least) Suites and Selections, we have "this", do I miss some?

There was an official concert arrangement of Leaving Home from Superman performed at the Oscars a couple years ago. The Force Awakens also has an Adagio concert arrangement (based on ‘The Starkiller’), and The Rise of Skywalker has (still not published!) concert arrangements of Psalm of the Sith, Rey and Ben, and The Speeder Chase.

I think some Complete Classic OSTs should be considered for concerts too, eg:

• Jaws OST (35 minutes)
  • E.T. OST (40 min)
  • Earthquake OST (32 minutes)
  • The Fury OST (44 minutes)

For a more discerning classical audience, the kind that does not go to pops concerts, I think these are the most musically interesting of the bunch, and would be great to hear from a first tier orchestra:

Close Encounters Suite (the full one from 1980)
Princess Leia's Theme
Jewish Town (Krakow Ghetto, Winter '41)
Blowing Dreams
Dartmoor, 1912
Anakin's Theme
Anakin's Dark Deeds
Children's Suite for Orchestra
Witches, Wands and Wizards
The Planet Krypton
Journey to the Island
Arlington

Minority Report

Escape From Earth

There are a number of straight up excerpts that would be nice to hear, too, but Williams isn't fond of doing that.

The entirety of the Chase through Coruscant

The Battle of Hoth

Everybody Runs

The Intersection Scene

The Fortress of Solitude

The end battle of Star Wars

The Map Room

Carol of the Bells/Setting the Trap

The Land Race

E.T. is Alive/The Rescue and Bike Chase/The Departure

Main Title and Storm Sequence

And probably a few others I can't think of right now.

One piece I'm very tired that John Williams keeps playing in his concert his the Throne Room and Finale, I think it could be replaced from time to time with "Han Solo and the Princess (the new arragement)" followed by the Finale from Empire Strikes Back (without the intro, the version Gerhardt recorded).

Hearing the finale in a Live to Movie Concert should be WONDERFUL.

Why can't we have a recording of that???

44 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Yeah, they'd need to hire an orchestra.

Yes, that was my point.

No, I thought, it might be quite expensive to rent and license sheet music that is under copyright for a whole orchestra. Beethoven might be cheaper, isn't that the case?

40 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

No, I thought, it might be quite expensive to rent and license sheet music that is under copyright for a whole orchestra. Beethoven might be cheaper, isn't that the case?

That's a good question. If new music is so expensive to perform, why perform it? Perhaps someone here could shed light on the fees for performing non-public domain music.

48 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

That's a good question. If new music is so expensive to perform, why perform it? Perhaps someone here could shed light on the fees for performing non-public domain music.

You have to pay licencing fees *at least*. I'm not familiar with how these things work for orchestras, but I do know a bit about the amateur choir perspective. In many cases, if you want to perform a modern day work, you're required to buy or rent (they're not always for sale) the original parts from the only company producing them, which should give you a hint about how competitive the pricing is. For public domain stuff, where at most the printed form of the scores may be protected, you can often get the whole material much cheaper, or even for free on the internet (and usually nobody cares if an amateur ensemble uses photocopies).

Regarding licensing fees, if I interpret this correctly, it means that between the years 2070 and 2072 Jaws, A New Hope and Close Encounters (and everything published before 1975) will enter public domain.

If that happens, that should at least open up for orchestras to perform the early works by JW (and let’s be honest, at least three of his most important contributions to film music) without having to pay royalty fees.

All works published in the United States before 1924 are in the public domain. Works published after 1923, but before 1978 are protected for 95 years from the date of publication. If the work was created, but not published, before 1978, the copyright lasts for the life of the author plus 70 years.

https://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/faqs/copyright-basics/

30 minutes ago, rough cut said:

Regarding licensing fees, if I interpret this correctly, it means that between the years 2070 and 2072 Jaws, A New Hope and Close Encounters (and everything published before 1975) enters public domain.

If that happens, that should at least open up for orchestras to perform the early works by JW (and let’s be honest, at least three of his most important contributions to film music) without having to pay royalty fees.

I'm never quite sure how copyright, and especially its expiration, works if the work in question was contracted by a company. Does it still (according to current laws) depend solely on the lifetime of the creator, or is it instead bound to the company itself?

11 hours ago, Michael Grigorowitsch said:

Ugh. 

It is really shocking that the (academic) music world still has such thoughts. 

The saddest part is not even the ridiculous tweet itself but rather that 249 other idiots agreed with him.

On 27/1/2023 at 11:07 PM, aviazn said:

The lack of recognition of the influence of jazz on Williams' voice always rankles me.

Yes, so much of his thematic development sounds like improvisation. The way he uses syncopation to generate energy, or whenever he goes off on those long string passages in scores like War Horse and The Terminal I can hear him improvising. The voicing are even those of a jazz pianist, even if the harmonies are not. Being literate in jazz is vital to understanding JW.

23 hours ago, Michael Grigorowitsch said:

Ugh. 

It is really shocking that the (academic) music world still has such thoughts. 

It’s kinda funny for him to group Stravinsky in with Schoenberg there considering that Stravinsky, while his music can be challenging, is vastly more popular and widely performed. There’s a difference between music that’s challenging and worth the effort and music that… isn’t.

As I think about this question more, I am going to contend that the best answer is none of it.  Why bow to the stupidity and snobbery of the elite? Williams's music is performed regularly--probably as much as any other composer, living or dead.  The "elite" in this case are dying off.  30 years from now this will be a moot point.  

On 29/01/2023 at 12:00 PM, Score said:

played exactly like that in its 21-minute splendor, as it is.

Yeah, I feel like JW has not done himself any favors in this regard with all of the concert arrangements he's done. Not to say I don't enjoy them, or that they don't have musical value, but the real genius of Williams is how he uses the themes, not just the the themes themselves. His counterpoint, orchestration, and harmonic and rhythmic complexity are on par with the wildest of 20th century composers, but you really have to hear the scores in long enough chunks for all of that to come through.

What do you think of composers who rearranged their movie compositions to be "more suitable" for the concert form?

Do you like that?

Secondary, 2 of 27

Secondary, 2 of 9

4 hours ago, Bespin said:

What do you think of composers who rearranged their movie compositions to be "more suitable" for the concert form?

Do you like that?

I haven't heard the Matrix Symphony. As far as the LOTR Symphony is concerned, yes, I like it and I think it's a great way to present the LOTR music in a live concert. That's precisely what I wish JW would do for his best works. It's not a new idea at all, of course: Prokofiev felt the need to re-arrange and re-assemble his Alexander Nevsky score into the well-known cantata, and the "Classical Elite" apparently never had problems with that, even if it is essentially film music. For some critics there might be a sort of authority principle at work, by virtue of which primarily "classical" authors are considered good in whatever they did, even if they occasionally went into film music territory. But I think that for more independent thinkers and listeners, the fact of giving a structure to the music, and allowing enough space for the maturation of the themes, is highly appreciated.

I think Williams has done a great job arranging some of his music for the concert hall: he has a lot of suites and concert arrangement of nearly every one of his major film compositions.

But, I think the real testament would be to do live-to-projection cycles of the likes of Star Wars, The Lord of the Rings, Potter, Indy and so forth, with the full forces as originally orchestrated.

4 hours ago, Bespin said:

Williams sort of did this with ET, with the 3 long movement suite, but he has not released it as such and has not performed it as such in like 10 years. 

8 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I think Williams has done a great job arranging some of his music for the concert hall: he has a lot of suites and concert arrangement of nearly every one of his major film compositions.

But, I think the real testament would be to do live-to-projection cycles of the likes of Star Wars, The Lord of the Rings, Potter, Indy and so forth, with the full forces as originally orchestrated.

Yes, but the LTPs are not going to convince those classical critics who look down on film music. If this is the objective, the way of achieving it is to compile something which has a structure and works independently of the film, and displays interesting and non-trivial features. The final act of CEO3K mentioned above is a great example - it probably ranks among the very best music composed in the second half of the 20th century. There are plenty of scores which would be amenable to this treatment (A.I., the Potters, E.T., Star Wars...).

19 minutes ago, Tom said:

Williams sort of did this with ET, with the 3 long movement suite, but he has not released it as such and has not performed it as such in like 10 years. 

I didn't know about this. When was it performed?

8 minutes ago, Score said:

If this is the objective, the way of achieving it is to compile something which has a structure and works independently of the film

Maybe its my Weimar showing, but I don't think programmatic music is anything to be ashamed of and I think it would be preposterous even for one of the Leipzig crowd to say that music which is programmatic ought to be ashamed its programmatic nature and seek to conceal it.

I've seen such silly productions of so many operas, I don't see what a film like The Last Crusade or The Empire Strikes or certainly The Return of the King have to be shied away from.

9 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

The LOTR "symphony" is misnamed, and as far as I remember was arranged not by Shore himself but, at least in part I believe, by John Mauceri?

Shore arranged it with Mauceri. Its not the greatest presentation, but it works.

8 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I haven't heard the Matrix symphony.

The LOTR "symphony" is misnamed, and as far as I remember was arranged not by Shore himself but, at least in part I believe, by John Mauceri? I think it's a poor arrangement, because it mostly cuts & pastes highlights and meandering underscore that doesn't hold up all that well in concert. It's certainly the right approach for these scores, because standalone themes would need entirely new arrangements to be presentable in concert. But I find the execution lacking.

Didn't Pope work on the LotR "symphony"?

45 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

To really do the music justice, those would have to present the originally intended, unedited scores - which would require a lot of tinkering with film edits as well. Unlikely to happen, unfortunately. Also, while I do enjoy a good LtP concert, it's not necessarily an ideal presentation of the music. Unless the composer is involved with mixing (which is practically never the case), you can't expect the mix to be fair to the music, or reflect the composer's intentions.

And finally, it very much depends on the spotting how well a LtP score can hold up as *music*. With an opera or ballet, even if the story is lame and you're only there for the music, you can usually rely on it being scored throughout. But wall to wall scores are rarer these days, and good wall to wall scores are almost extinct. If you're only there for the music, a sparsely spotted 2 hour film with a total of 40 minutes of music isn't necessarily enjoyable in LtP form.

That's true. Its a complex issue. But I think to subject the music entirely to the needs of the concert stage would be to take something from it, and purely in the name of the supposed superiority of "absolute" music.

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

Maybe its my Weimar showing, but I don't think programmatic music is anything to be ashamed of and I think it would be preposterous even for one of the Leipzig crowd to say that music which is programmatic ought to be ashamed its programmatic nature and seek to conceal it.

It's not about being programmatic or not. There is a difference between the role played by music in a movie and the role played by music in an opera, which has an obvious impact on how the composer works and on the final product (specifically, on the structure). You will find plenty of classical music critics who are enthusiastic about, say, Adès's opera The Tempest, but do not care about film music because "it doesn't stand on its own feet". It's clearly not my opinion, I'm just reporting what I often hear / read. 

Anyway, the original question of this thread was about how film music should be played in a concert in a way that would be convincing for the "classical elite". A LTP performance is equivalent to just showing the whole movie with its music, so it doesn't solve the problem. If someone didn't care for the music as it was in the movie, the LTP will not change their mind.   

21 minutes ago, Tom said:

It looks like 2009: it was 3 million light years from home/stargazers/adventures on earth.

Right, I remember now!

29 minutes ago, Score said:

do not care about film music because "it doesn't stand on its own feet".

Programmatic music is not supposed to stand on its own feet.

On 28/01/2023 at 5:58 PM, filmmusic said:

I think at least the atonal parts of Images will be very difficult to recreate live.

Yes, would be practically impossible. While Stomu Yamashta is still around at 75 and doing the odd concert here and there, it would be extremely difficult to recreate the mostly improvised percussion elements. Rather like a Vangelis score, in fact. However, I wouldn't be opposed to it if someone gave it a shot.

3 hours ago, Chen G. said:

That's true. Its a complex issue. But I think to subject the music entirely to the needs of the concert stage would be to take something from it, and purely in the name of the supposed superiority of "absolute" music.

I think both kinds have their justification, and not just for film music. Stage music has traditionally survived mostly in the form of concert suites. Think of Grieg's Peer Gynt, Mendelssohn's Midsummer Night's Dream, or some of Beethoven's overtures. That's still how they usually get performed, because it's much easier to program them, and sometimes these condensed versions are also the nicer listen at a particular moment (not unlike the whole OST album/C&C score discussion). But it's good that the full original versions are also being performed at least once in a while these days.

Incidentally (pun not intended), stage music suffers from similar problems as film music when it comes to being performed in full on its own. Or at least some people view them as problems. There's usually much deliberation which bits and pieces to leave out because they're thought to be inconsequential or not able to stand on their own, and whether or not and where to include narration. Unlike operas, where the music is generally supposed to be at least of similar importance as the story, incidental stage music really is Gebrauchsmusik first in that it's generally written to support the main event (the stage play) without a particular need to have musical significance of its own (even if the composer's approach differs). This can result in parts of (or the whole) score being "pure" underscore that isn't particularly interesting in itself, or in lots of fragmentation into small cues that really wouldn't hold up well if they're performed one after the other without at least editing them into longer cues (think the Home Alone expansions).

Vaughan-Williams repurposed his score to Scott of the Antarctic for his 7th symphony, and probably some other I'm not aware of. I think most film music does not stand well on it's own, but JW's does. I still think live to projection is the ideal way to experience his film scores. But it needs to move beyond being a gimmick and be championed by some of the big heavyweight orchestras to become more mainstream. A real "discovery and defense of the new," to rival something like ballet or opera, in a visual/music medium. They go together.

3 hours ago, Schilkeman said:

But it needs to move beyond being a gimmick and be championed by some of the big heavyweight orchestras to become more mainstream. A real "discovery and defense of the new," to rival something like ballet or opera, in a visual/music medium. They go together.

Ha, the irony though is that LTP is already mainstream, in the conventional sense of the word. They’re done by every major orchestra in the US and are some of their most popular and lucrative concerts. By any measure, they’re surely the most mainstream form of classical music around — certainly more mainstream than ballet or opera! It’s not like film music is some modernist atonal idiom that needs defending. LTP is embraced by the paying masses, by the musicians, and by the artistic directors in charge of programming. The critics may come around to it…or may not, but it almost doesn’t matter.

To answer the original question of which JW suites could be programmed in a “traditional” classical concert, I think that most of the listed suites don’t work well in that kind of setting. I think in the ones with the most prominent material (Star Wars, HP) the individual pieces are short and too disparate, more like orchestral pop songs. For me, the MoaG cello suite and the unpublished E.T. suite hit a suite spot of variety and development of material with a consistency of tone and mood that plays well in a concert setting. I’d love to hear that RotS suite, too.

If I’m being honest, I think the biggest contributing factor to JW’s suites being more widely played in traditional classical concerts will be after he dies. Hate to think about it, but that’s when he will pass into “the canon,” and programming a suite by him will carry a different meaning than programming him as a living composer. You don’t program the suite from Swan Lake because you’ve built a two-hour concert around it, you program it because you’ve got a 20-minute hole to fill and audiences will go, oh Tchaikovsky, how nice.

Which leads me to think that ultimately, I don’t think I want JW to be programmed more frequently in traditional classical concerts. People go to those types of concerts to seek out musical experiences they don’t get from more mainstream, pop culture sources. When orchestras start programming Star Wars and Harry Potter in classical concerts, that means that those scores and John Williams will have fallen out of the public consciousness.

59 minutes ago, aviazn said:

They’re done by every major orchestra in the US and are some of their most popular and lucrative concerts

This is true, but my point is that they are treated as pops concerts and a bit of a novelty. Berlin couldn't even get the principals to play when it was actual John Williams conducting. I think that will fade with time, and I agree that it doesn't really matter what critics think, but the thread brought up the topic of the "Classical Elite," and I think maybe they have not fully embraced it at the top of the top levels in classical music.