[Betting Poll] Will Avatar 2 Outgross Top Gun 2 at the American box office?

Disco Stu

Will Avatar 2 Outgross Top Gun 2 at the American box office?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Will Avatar 2 Outgross Top Gun 2 at the American box office?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/02/23 at 05:00 AM

Well, if it performs like the first Avatar from this point forward, Avatar 2 will end up with $813m. If it performs like No Way Home, it'll finish with $668m. I'm guessing it will actually end up between these two extremes, with legs closer to those of Avatar than No Way Home's.

So yeah: in short, I think it will.

Both are good movies, and deserving of their success. 

I think it's really interesting for the movie industry that the three highest-grossing movies of the year were from people or franchises (Jurassic, Tom Cruise/Top Gun and James Cameron) who were synonymous with 80s/90s cinema.

abcdef.JPG

It really shows how Hollywood became so obsessed with superheroes that they weren't able to create "the next Tom Cruise" or "the next James Cameron", and now that the MCU is maybe past its prime, they need "the heroes of an earlier age" to rescue them.

7 hours ago, mstrox said:

Haven’t seen either movie and don’t know or care about either of their box office grosses, but voted no.  Just feels right to me.

Same here. Never really understood the box office gross obsession, as if movies were a sporting event. But I'm glad it's doing well and that it secures more sequels. AVATAR 2 was the second best film of last year.

Ultimately I voted yes because right now I think Avatar 2 will end around 740ish, but it would only require a fairly small shift in Avatar 2's weekend percentage drops for Top Gun to win out.  It comes down to how much more can it rack up in the next 4 weeks before Ant-Man 3 comes out?   I set the poll to close on Feb. 1, so I may sneaky change my answer depending on what this coming weekend's numbers look like ;)

Oscar noms are being announced tomorrow, I believe, and Avatar 2 is likely to score at least a couple, including best picture. That’s probably going to boost its box office performance for a few weeks.

It’ll be close but I think Avatar 2 will squeak past TGM. 

Avatar 2 came very close yesterday to its first single day gross in North America of less than $1 million (it made $1,005,502), which tells me that that particular milestone will come next week probably.

If it does then its first sub million day will be between the 53rd and 56th day of release.  For reference, Top Gun Maverick didn't have a sub million day until its 76th day of release (on August 10th).  So Top Gun isn't bowed out of this contest yet!