Somebody "reimagined" the Vader vs. Obi-Wan Fight in the Original Star Wars

Disco Stu

10 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

But his is old! It predates the obi wan series.

And Mandalorian, Rise of Skywalker. It might have been posted in the Star Wars general thread at the time. 

The YouTube comments always make me beg for death but def the ones on that video. 

3 minutes ago, Clockwork Angel said:

Somewhat fun, but low substance fluff.

How does the original fight has "more substance" than this? It's just a fight scene made with whatever resources were available in the 70s. There is nothing deeper to that.

8 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

It's just a fight scene made with whatever resources were available in the 70s. There is nothing deeper to that.

Exactly.

I also thought the new fight was well done ever since the first time I saw it three years ago. I wouldn’t mind Disney slipping this into the SE’s.

But pleeeeeeease give us the OG as well!

That was exciting and had some very nice ideas albeit not always well executed but as a storyboard, that was good though left off some vintage scenes - the important humor, etc.  I'm also not a fan of using music from decades later.  Feels too needledrop for me.  They should also do some AI upscaling too.

output-3.png

5 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I miss when the sound of the laser swords was emphasized in that really physical, guttural way.  It was such a key part of why they (the swords themselves) captured the imagination.

I miss Ben Burtt. I know he’s unpopular here, but it’s been a looooong time since Star Wars tickled my ears with sound design that made me take note. 

The sabers in the first film looked SO alive and dangerous, what with the imperfect rotoscoping, and the reflective coating filling the air with a glowing dust when they’d clash.  

16 minutes ago, Andy said:

I miss Ben Burtt. I know he’s unpopular here, but it’s been a looooong time since Star Wars tickled my ears with sound design that made me take note. 

The sabers in the first film looked SO alive and dangerous, what with the imperfect rotoscoping, and the reflective coating filling the air with a glowing dust when they’d clash.  

Ben Burtt's contribution to the films was huge. He got truly creative and was allowed to let the results shine. A lot like Williams.

By comparison, SW sound design in the Disney era is functional, sensible, unobtrusive. A lot like a lot of modern film music.

I'll also mostly agree on the lightsabers. There are some cruddy bits, but I'd also say the very first saber shot features the best-looking saber of the Lucas era, jumpy ignition aside. ESB never quite reaches that height but it's more consistently excellent with its saber effects. ROTJ has some issues. TPM—mostly not bad. AOTC and ROTS suck. Then the ST turned it around with those awesome light-up props. (If only Burtt had been providing their sound.)

Anyway, as to the topic at hand … yeah, I remember when that video came out. It's an interesting experiment made by talented fans. It would be godawful in the actual film, particularly if you were watching the series for the first time in release order (as everyone should).

11 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Of course, since almost everyone here grew up with the original version, people here will be queueing to downvote the video!

So you grew up with the Youtube video? You're younger than I thought!

1 hour ago, Andy said:

Remember in ROTS when they decided to make the tips of the swords more pointy?

That was weird. 

Yes it was. And if I remember correctly, they also made the contact flashes persist as long as two sabers were touching. Awkward.

15 hours ago, Andy said:

In the original original version of this scene the lightsaber light disapeared from time to time and you saw Obi-Wan just fighting with a wooden stick. It remained that way even when the first special edition came out. They fixed it later in some DVD release.

1 hour ago, enderdrag64 said:

In the original original version of this scene the lightsaber light disapeared from time to time and you saw Obi-Wan just fighting with a wooden stick.

They also deleted the dialogue where Obi-Wan is saying I'll beat you with a stick!

I have mixed feelings about this video, but I can say that the original film’s fight is one of a few things about the original film I essentially ignore due to being... kind of bad.

On 23/01/2023 at 3:16 PM, Edmilson said:

And I love everything about it. It finally looks like a real fight between not only two powerful Force-practitioners but also two men with a bitter story of love and hate that spans decades. Not two old geezers poking each other with glowing sticks.

Of course, since almost everyone here grew up with the original version, people here will be queueing to downvote the video!

Well, the job's not done. Now they need to make the rest of the film's camera work look like this.

A more impressive job would have been to make the fight look more dynamic (if that's what you want to do) but still look like Star Wars. This fails at that goal in every regard.