[Betting Poll] Will The Fabelmans win the Best Original Score Oscar?

Disco Stu

Will The Fabelmans win the Best Original Score Oscar?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Will The Fabelmans win the Best Original Score Oscar?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/02/23 at 05:00 AM

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Of course he won't win, but it's great he got the nomination!

Looking at these nominees, I do think it's the best chance he's had in many years.  But still, I vote no.

6 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Babylon did so poorly that Hurwitz might not win, but I think it could actually swing to Everything Everywhere All At Once now. 

Would be the first rock band to win in the category.  An indie band I listened to a bunch in college to boot.

The soundtrack features Randy Newman, so I wouldn't be too cut up if it won :P 

1 hour ago, BB-8 said:

If he wins it will be even harder to understand why he only got one Oscar for Star Wars and none for JP, IJ and HP.

Different scores have different competition in different years and have to contend with different circustances. It's pointless to compare the award recognition of scores released in different eras

2 minutes ago, Romão said:

Different scores have different competition in different years and have to contend with different circustances. It's pointless to compare the award recognition of scores released in different eras

This.

According to THR, 90-year-old John Williams is the oldest Oscar nominee in history! :john:

The Fabelmans’ legendary composer John Williams, at 90, just became the oldest Oscar nominee in history with his original score nom, the 53rd nom of his illustrious career, which extends his record for most noms for a living person.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/2023-oscar-nominations-andrea-riseborough-campaign-analysis-1235308100/

2 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

According to THR, 90-year-old John Williams is the oldest Oscar nominee in history! :john:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/2023-oscar-nominations-andrea-riseborough-campaign-analysis-1235308100/

5 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

John Williams is the first nonagenarian to ever be nominated for an Academy Award, and therefore the oldest person ever to be nominated. 

I want JW to get seven more Oscar nominations so that he may pass Walt Disney (who had 59) and become the most nominated person in all of history, period. For that to happen, he will need to start writing some songs alongside the scores so that he may be nominated for 2 rather than 1 Oscar every year.

If I posted in every thread where the subject of the thread doesn't interest me and I wanted to make sure people know it doesn't interest me, my post count would be much higher.

3 hours ago, crocodile said:

Don't really care about Afterthought Awards. Watched a full ceremony in its entirety only once almost 20 years ago and was bored to tears. 

Karol

I last watched them live in 2007, so not far off your period of indifference. I'm sure that's when it was because it was my last year of uni, so staying up until about 3/4am wasn't particularly difficult or overly unusual.

And I'm sure there must have been some serious ranting on the forums or whatever chat facility we had back then, as Babel won music that year.

Nowadays I'll have a look at the winners out of pure curiosity, and would only watch an actual clip if something actually happens, like last year.

I don't watch them live anymore because I'd have to stay up past my bedtime :D.  I record the show and skip through it the next day to watch the speeches and whatever, turning the 3 hours show into a 30 minute thing.

I still voted no, but I think he has a better chance than a few weeks ago when Hildur was still in the mix.

Williams should actually campaign actively that's he's the first 90 year old person to be nominated instead of being his usual modest self.

But truth be told, the biggest thing against The Fablemans is that it's not really one of Williams best works . Might work in the film but as music it's average . I listened to the OST 3 times  and it's quite boring and nothing grabbed my attention and I don't remember the main theme

I still think Hurwitz will get the award. But I dunno... Last year I was 100% sure that Jonny Greenwood would win, only for the award to be given to an older, more experienced composer. 

Then again, I think Dune was much stronger last year than Fabelmans is this year. 

20 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I still think Hurwitz will get the award. But I dunno... Last year I was 100% sure that Jonny Greenwood would win, only for the award to be given to an older, more experienced composer. 

Then again, I think Dune was much stronger last year than Fabelmans is this year. 

Plus Zimmer won the Globe and the BAFTA so he was already the frontrunner by Oscar night 

I think there's a chance All Quiet wins BAFTA so it could end up being a bit of a toss-up. The British voter base seems to really be pushing that one uphill since the movie in general didn't get nominated by the other US awards, so I would still be suspicious of it winning the Oscar. If Hurwitz or Son Lux win BAFTA then Oscar is probably theirs to lose.

Overall my most likely to least likely would be Babylon, EEAAO, Fabelmans, All Quiet (but if it wins BAFTA then I'd at least put it third), and then Banshees which is the only one that feels like there's no chance, even though it is a Best Picture frontrunner. Effectively, though, I think Babylon and EEAAO are pretty much the only ones in the running. 

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I had a dream today where The Fabelmans won the Oscars for Best Picture, Best Director and, of course, Best Original Score. But for some reason JW's sixth win wasn't well received among JWFans, who weren't fond of mentioning this score in the same breath as ET, Star Wars, Schindler's List and Jaws.

Was it a prophecy? Or just too much JWFan?

I'm a strong believer in the idea that dreams are your subconscious processing your true feelings about something or highlighting a fear you have.

Hence I think that your mind actually acknowledges that the idea of this score being Oscar worthy, especially compared to those four, is a bit silly :) 

On 02/02/2023 at 1:39 PM, Disco Stu said:

I still say that while it's unlikely, it's his best chance in many years

I agree, he's obviously not the frontrunner, but it wouldn't be unsurprising. 

It's probably his best shot since at least Lincoln when he won the Critics Choice, Life of Pi won the Globe, and Skyfall won the BAFTA, so you had a split race between critically acclaimed films with two BP nominees. Danna had the edge bc Life of Pi had the most musical novelty, maybe the most emotional use of music, and the movie checked a lot of boxes as a technical achievement. And it turned out Ang Lee had the edge over Spielberg in Director, so the movie was probably #2 in the Best Picture race after Argo (which was also score-nominated and could have won, but the score was an afterthought.) 

I think John Williams' score is also understandably an afterthought with Fabelmans, but I think there is a lurking sentimental factor with him. But Oscar sentiment is very fickle, sometimes it's the whole reason for winning and sometimes it's not even enough to get nominated. It's just that there's not really a smash movie-score combo so there is wiggle room. Babylon is the most attention-grabbing score but a divisive movie. Son Lux could easily ride EEAAO's coattails but I don't know that people are necessarily talking about the score. Whereas there are emotional ties with John Williams and Fabelmans. 

Obviously Memoirs was as close as he could ever have possibly gotten without winning. 

To some extent I think you can compare Fabelmans to Forrest Gump - both being about someone's life story and where pre-existing music really takes the musical focus. Stylistically BTTF could also be seen somewhat in the same vein although what little score there is makes far more impact than either FG or Fabelmans in my view.

Although I will say that one thing Fabelmans doesn't do is outstay its ideal playing time, which Forrest very much does for me. JW has a couple of ideas and restates them a few times within the 20 mins or so, whereas Forrest is basically the same couple of themes over and over again.

19 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Obviously Memoirs was as close as he could ever have possibly gotten without winning. 

I reckon Hook, HPPS and War Horse were as close as he sensibly got, turning in thematically stunning, complex scores. Perhaps another half dozen if we're talking scores that were some way above the general standard of scoring in their year.

He wasn't nominated for Hook! :eek2:

I'm just talking purely in terms of the nuts-and-bolts awards race, Memoirs he won every award going and lost the Oscar. Obviously he would have been deserving plenty of times. 

I think Gump's score is a much more essential player in its film than Fabelmans and its thematic ideas more fleshed out, even if they do repeat themselves. 

It's his best chance since Lincoln, but no. Considering it hasn't won a single award in the race, it won't win this one either.

My bet is on Justin Hurwitz, unfortunately.

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/01/2023 at 1:25 PM, mrbellamy said:

I think there's a chance All Quiet wins BAFTA so it could end up being a bit of a toss-up. 

And it just did. So we have a race here.

I think I'm still going with Babylon as the very slight frontrunner and that if there's an upset, it'll be EEAAO. But there's such a lack of consensus that JW could benefit if he has just enough old-school voters and sentiment on his side.