HIS DARK MATERIALS (HBO/BBC series)

Jay

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There'll be four albums for season 3 of His Dark Materials released, each containing what's probably the complete or nearly the complete score for two episodes:

https://www.silvascreen.com/siled1715-siled1718-his-dark-materials-series-3-original-television-soundtrack/

The first one is out tomorrow to correspond with the first two episodes. By the way, the title theme is identical to the one on the season 2 anthology album. I'm surprised Balfe didn't record a new one... maybe a new one could be in future episodes though

va-11.jpeg

1. Dark Materials Between the Worlds 1:34
2. Chapters 1:50
3. Find Her 2:47
4. A Lighter Side 3:06
5. The King 3:18
6. Drive and Purpose 2:38
7. Wings to Follow 2:06
8. A Garden for Lyra 2:04
9. Under His Eye 2:15
10. Danger by the Shore 3:12
11. The Best Laid Plans 4:02
12. A Mother’s Protection 2:11
13. The Rescue 2:14
14. Bring Him the Bearer 2:01
15. The Cardinal Rule 3:09
16. Dream of a Friend 3:14
17. Compromised 2:29
18. Safe in Your Arms 1:48

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, me!!! Love the books. Love the show. So glad that they got to finish all books into 3 seasons. Can't wait for the finale.

Daphe Keen is terrific. And it is such a joy to see James MacAvoy in this.

And Ruth Wilson is just a powerhouse, such a great actress. She's able to bring so many different layers to Mrs. Coulter, in a way (I thought) Kidmam did not in the film. Been a fan of hers ever since she was in Luther.

Balfe's score is also great. Main theme especially is fantastic. I like the 3 Musical Anthology albums more than the seprate ones, but great music.

Yea we liked the first 2 seasons well enough

So season 3 seems along the same lines in terms of quality, there wasn't a dip in the writing or anything?

• 1 month later...

His Dark Materials 3x01 The Enchanted Sleeper

Oooh boy that was rough; The two years in between seasons led to me forgetting so much about this show and world.  The 2-minute recap helped a lot, but even with it, I felt like I was playing catch-up the whole episode

I couldn't really remember why Marisa Coulter has Lyra or what her current goals and aspirations are, nothing in this episode really clued me in.  Hopefully that gets explained soon.  It's weird to sideline the main character for an entire episode like this, so I can't imagine she'll be drugged long.  Gorgeous location shooting here!

I'm also trying to catch up with the status quo and big picture.  I know that The Authority are the show's bad guys and Asriel is recruiting to start a war against them, but Asriel has been a bad guy himself for most of the show right?  I'm curious to see what will happen when him, Lyra, and Coulter all get together again.  Was cool to see Mr. Eko from LOST in something else

Will and the Angels was kind of interesting, I liked seeing him struggle to use the alethiometer to find her.  The sequence with Iorek was really fun, though hampered a bit by the budget (not even showing the second bear outside of one shot!)

Not much else to say, hopefully more happens next week!

We finished the series today. I liked it overall and some emotional scenes.

my main gripe is that i feel i needed some more background about the angels and authority… i ll ask some quedtions when jay finishes it

is this season faithful to the book? I didnt remember a thing…

Honestly, I stopped at the first episode of the first season, I really didn't connect to that universe. 

Maybe because I'm not a gamer? I had the impression that the series took its inspiration from videogames, I don't know... I was not expecting that and was not ready for that.

22 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Honestly, I stopped at the first episode of the first season, I really didn't connect to that universe. 

Maybe because I'm not a gamer? I had the impression that the series took its inspiration from videogames, I don't know... I was not expecting that and was not ready for that.

It's from a book series... same as The Golden Compass I think?

As a huge fan of the books, I found the 3rd season incredibly moving. I must admit that it took me a while to warm to the series - I think the first season especially has real pacing issues, and some of the performances are…inconsistent…

That said, I’m glad I persevered because the payoff was terrific. It’s not really how I imagined it in my head, but it was still a very faithful adaptation that also managed to forge its own identity as well. 

The sequence where 

Spoiler

Mrs Coulter and Asriel pull Metatron into the chasm

Was entirely unlike how I pictured it in the books, but was brilliant nevertheless. 

47 minutes ago, Clockwork Angel said:

It's from a book series... same as The Golden Compass I think?

You know what I mean, having an animal avatar, etc.

I didn't know there was a thread for this show. Or I forgot.

The last episode was amazing. It was faithful enough to the book, and I felt like it hit all the emotional moments it had to. For me, even knowing what was coming, it was by far one of the most heartbreaking episodes I've ever seen. And it was so, so beautifully done.

You can tell that Dafne really stepped into the role of Lyra with ease. Same with Ruth Wilson. It helps that Marisa is already a compelling character, but I think she also delivered a performance with enough nuance and subtlety equal to the characters in The Handmaid's Tale (which is known as being mostly subtext). James McAvoy was good enough in his role; I felt that he embodied his character well, which wasn't a surprise because he's a big fan of the books. For whatever reason, though, I felt nothing while watching Amir Wilson as Will. The scene where he 

Spoiler

says goodbye to his father in episode 6

was horribly flat, and he just looked bored. But if I remember correctly, he's fairly stoic in the books, so it's fine.

The only real actor I had any issues with was Lin-Manuel Miranda. I cringed every time he was on screen in seasons 1 and 2. His limited screen time in season 3 was an improvement, though. He was just so corny, and it wasn't because of the source material.

I loved Balfe's season 3 theme for Lyra and Will. It's not exactly what I expected, but it works beautifully in the show.

3 hours ago, Bespin said:

This series is not based on a video game and I wouldn't say has any video game tropes either. 

Even when I don't 100% understand the storylines, this show has a vividly realised fantasy world to wallow in. And sometimes, that's enough. 

How spectacular it looks is good news for Doctor Who, as HDM's production company (Bad Wolf) will also be making it. 

His Dark Materials 3x02 The Break

Phew, I'm kind of surprised it took two whole episodes for Lyra to be free from Coulter, but finally she can be a main player in the story again!  Was nifty that Iorek was there to help and they got out of there before Asriel showed up.  I was NOT expected the knife to be shattered!  

The Angel dude that was helping will was an interesting character, and it sucks that his partner got killed by an Angel working for The Authority.  At least Asriel was able to capture him and learn what the Authority's plans are, though he was already waging a war against them so I dunno if it really matters that much.  I can't say I really understand much about what's going on with Asriel really, other than he thinks the Authority is bad and wants to stop them.  His little spaceship is neat.

I have no clue what's going on with the professor lady >shrug<

His Dark Materials 3x03 The Intention Craft

All these scenes of Coulter being captured by Asriel, yet roaming around and getting into mischief anyway were kinda funny to me.  Asriel straight up murdering the captured angel dude sure makes him seem like the villain of the story, even though The Authority is already the villain of the story, so I guess they're trying to show that sometimes good guys have to do bad things, or something, but I'm not sure that they're pulling it off.  I liked that she was able to steal his spaceship though, and seems to be a better user of it than he was.

The whole sequence where Iorek is able to repair the broken knife was pretty cool!  I definitely didn't see it already being repaired one episode after it was destroyed though.  Huh.  This show is really doing everything it can to make Roger important again, and so now Lyra and Will are off to find him in the land of the dead.... could be good!

Still haven't a clue what's up with the professor lady >shrug<

His Dark Materials 3x04 Lyra and Her Death

Wow, that was a really powerful ending to the episode, and the first half of the season!  They really managed to make Lyra having to leave Pan behind to go into the Land of the Dead really dramatic, and really touching.  You really felt all the anguish both Lyra and Pan were going through.  And it's interesting that Will is doing the same thing, he just can't see/hear/know his daemon.  Good stuff all around here.

Again it's so funny to me that now another place gets Coulter, they let her roam free, and she instantly causes all kinds of trouble.  It's nice that she's on Lyra's side now after being the villain for so long, trying to save her by preventing the bomb from being able to target her.  And now she's captured again and going to be severed from her daemon... seems like it's something she won't mind the way she treats hers anyway....

Still not sure what's up with the professor lady at all, but now that she's met a new creature maybe things will finally start happening

• 2 weeks later...

His Dark Materials 3x05 No Way Out

Wow!  Finally it's clear what is happening with Mary!  Her travel into the world with the... er, 4 legged creature thingies (sorry, don't remember their name and not gonna look it up) were all really interesting and compelling. I loved the way she had figure out how to learn their language, and it was really cool how they used subtitles in a unique way to show the understand -  that was honestly really nifty.  I also enjoyed seeing her form the amber spyglass (cue Pitch Meeting: That's the name of the movie book!), and learning from it that dust is leaving the world she's on, causing the trees to die.  What that means in the grand scheme of things, I dunno!  I honestly cannot say this season of television is the easiest to follow....

Lyra and Will's journey through The Land of the Dead was pretty cool.  I wasn't surprised that they found Roger of course, but damn somehow I didn't even think beforehand that of course they'll run into Lee Scoresby and Will's dad, too.  Of course!  Those harpies were pretty badass terrifying creatures (great sound design here), and the reveal that everyone (is it everyone or just some people actually? Again, kind of hard to follow the world-building in this show) who thought they were going to heaven ended up in basically purgatory instead.  Well surely WIll and Lyra will free them the next episode....

I knew MacPhail's bomb wouldn't successfully go off and kill Lyra, but I really didn't know if Coulter was going to get severed from her monkey or not.  I guess her and the monkey are fine, and while the bomb went off, it didn't kill Lyra, but somehow still exploded in The Land of the Dead?  Is Father MacPhail finally dead?

His Dark Materials 3x06 The Abyss

Will being reunited with his father was somehow not as excited as it seems like it should have been.  Not sure what was up with that.  Lyra figuring out how to make peace with the harpies was interesting, and it was nice that everyone trapped in purgatory just had to tell their stories and then the harpies would let them leave.... to dissolve and... become one with universe I guess?

So I'm still not sure about why dust leaving everywhere is bad, why Melatron wants this, and how Asriel and Coulter plan to stop it.  And is MacPhail dead or not?  And what is the significance of the witch leader dying?

I guess my biggest issue is that Metatron is being set up as the final bad guy but he's barely been explained.  Well, I guess there's still 2 more episodes left to try to do so!

His Dark Materials 3x07 The Clouded Mountain

Wow!  That was quite the huge and epic slam-bang climax to the season and the show.  I like that they had much huge stuff happen in this episode, letting episode 8 have all the time it needs for an elongated wrap-up and final statement.

The huge battle between Metatron's forces and all the combined good guy forces was pretty impressive and felt like they secured the proper budget for it.  I did have to laugh at how similar Metatron's ghost thingies were to both The Dementors from Harry Potter and The Whispers from Final Fantasy VII Remake :lol:

I thought it was interesting and touching that Lyra and Will's daemons are in hiding, miffed by being separated.  Metatron's little tete-a-tete with Coulter and Asriel to ultimately decide everything was pretty nice too, and it wasn't surprising that they both, and their daemons, all teamed up to sacrifice themselves to take down Metatron.  Poor monkey, never got to say a single word the whole show, it was kind of sad when it started dissolving while reaching out to Lyra.

I did not understand what the hell was up with that angel dude, or whoever he was, in some cube thing that WIll cut open.  Just to show that though The Authority were temporarily on our side in order to fight against Metatron, a instant reminder that they are actually bad guys too was needed?  I dunno.  I guess MacPhail is really dead since he hasn't shown up again >shrug<

17 minutes ago, Jay said:

His Dark Materials 3x07 The Clouded Mountain

I did not understand what the hell was up with that angel dude, or whoever he was, in some cube thing that WIll cut open.  Just to show that though The Authority were temporarily on our side in order to fight against Metatron, a instant reminder that they are actually bad guys too was needed?  I dunno.  I guess MacPhail is really dead since he hasn't shown up again >shrug<

I was puzzled to because they dont give any explanation. Maybe it was god himself captured by metatron?

On 26/02/2023 at 12:11 PM, Jay said:

Metatron  was a replacement to the Autority, the one in the cube was the Authority, when Asriel questioned the captured Angel, that information was revealed.

The point of the scene, to my understanding, is just putting salt in the wound, the Magisterium and their equivalents through the multiverse were doing everything in the name of the Authority, who was hinding, weak and fragile in a cube, we don't see his face, we only see a coward.

So the Magisterium SAID they were doing things in the name of The Authority, but never were, because long ago they captured him?  Is that right?

No. The box The Authority was in, fell from "heaven", Marisa's beliefs were the same as the Magisterium's, and she thought the idea of a Regent was absurd, so no, Metatron was the one doing everything for a while, but the Magisterium and their equivalents still thought it was The Athority, who was in that box.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

So who put The Authority in a box and why?

To my understanding, himself. He just put himself there in hiding, or to rest because he was weak. But searching the english name for "Regent" (I watched dubbed), I stumbled in the information. In the books, Metatron took control by force and put The Authority in that box. The show gives no single indication that happened, so I'm not really considering as "canon".

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

This show is confusing as fuck

Yes. Some shows need a "Prevously On..." and this one definitely was one of them. But I assume the creators assumed everyone read the books. :blink:

2 minutes ago, Gabriel Bezerra said:

To my understanding, himself. He just put himself there in hiding, or to rest because he was weak. But searching the english name for "Regent" (I watched dubbed), I stumbled in the information. In the books, Metatron took control by force and put The Authority in that box. The show gives no single indication that happened, so I'm not really considering as "canon".

Huh, interesting

2 minutes ago, Gabriel Bezerra said:

Yes. Some shows need a "Prevously On..." and this one definitely was one of them. But I assume the creators assumed everyone read the books. :blink:

Every episode we watched (via HBO Max) had a Previously On recap.

His Dark Materials 3x08 The Botanic Garden

I really enjoyed the fact that they reached the big climax for everything that had been building up last episode, and let this entire episode be an extended denouement; It worked really well!

The whole bit with some priest dude (why couldn't this have been MacPhail, to give his character closure?) roaming around with a gun to try to kill Lyra and Will was very silly and felt like it was put it just to give the episode some "action", but everything else was pretty good.

I really liked getting to see Lyra reunite with Mary, and for her to meet Will.  Also really good was the way they extended and drew out the reunion of Lyra and Pan, it made it so much more effective and touching when it happened.  And getting to see Will's daemon was great too, an adorable cat!  And Mary's is a bird! (Dunno why we didn't see it though).

It was sort of cheesy that Lyra and Pan realizing they loved each other fixed the whole Dust issue (something I thought had been fixed already by the huge Metatron/Authority climax, but whatever), though that was nicely subverted almost immediately by the next plot point that they wouldn't actually get to be together at all if they really wanted to save the universe.

The ending where they agree to sit on the bench was kind of well-done, except they made no effort at all to age-up the actors even though they montaged through many years of them sitting on the bench.  Pretty silly!

The final on-screen text that revealed Lyra and Pan will have another adventure was pretty silly too.

Overall, not the best show out there, and one I find hard to recommend to people because it was so up and down in quality over the years.  But it had a lot of nifty ideas and kind of makes me want to read the books - and makes me really wish Weitz had been able to make sequel films!

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

it had a lot of nifty ideas and kind of makes me want to read the books

The books are excellent, and highly recommended. A lot of the philosophical/religious subtext that's only hinted at in the series is really expanded on in the books. And if you're interested, Pullman also has a prequel/sequel trilogy that he's two books into, which is quite good also.

And while most people will disagree with me, I actually enjoyed the movie more than I did the series, and also wish it had done well enough to warrant a sequel.

Yea I picked up the first book for $1 at an antique store once.  I'll get around to it eventually

On 24/01/2023 at 3:23 PM, Luke Skywalker said:

i ll ask some quedtions when jay finishes it

go for it

I watched seasons 1 and 2 before reading the books, then read all three and watched season 3 knowing what would happen and how everything fit together. Before reading the books, the show seemed completely random to me, so I'd say the books definitely help fill in the gaps and make it easier to understand the impact of certain things in the show. I definitely recommend reading them if you have any interest in the series as a whole