Jerry Goldsmith recommendations

Hello everyone!

I am looking to purchase a couple Jerry Goldsmith titles. I know I want to get Star Trek: The Motion Picture, and I've got The Mummy coming, but I was wondering what everyone else would recommend.

If you could choose ONE and ONLY ONE other score other than the two I mentions, which one would you chose to recommend to me?

Thanks!!!

~Harry :|

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The original Alien film has a really good score. In places it is very subtle and beautiful which makes a nice contrast to the visual and sound efx carnage of the film.

Poltergeist,usually quoted as one of his top 4 best ever,and my personnal favourite.

Close second:The Final Conflict(The Omen part 3).New re-masrered expanded release.Just listen to Goldsmith's chorus work knock anything Williams ever did with a chorus.It blows DotF.

K.M.

Close second:The Final Conflict(The Omen part 3).New re-masrered expanded release.

K.M.

Yes! - IMHO the music makes that film much more watchable.

TIM (who wishes his Church would incorporate that music from the Second Star of Bethlehem scene)

I'll agree with K.M. There are so many Goldsmith essentials, but "Poltergeist" trumps many of them in my book. And "The Final Conflict" is certainly a TOP contender.

After that, try the following:

Patton

The Secret of N.I.M.H.

Twilight Zone: The Movie

Star Trek V

Chinatown

Alien

Basic Instinct

Blue Max, The

Gremlins/Gremlins 2

Legend

Medicine Man

Mulan

Papillon

Planet of the Apes

Star Trek: First Contact

Wind and the Lion, The

Supergirl

And all that is just the tip of a very massive iceberg ...

Harry, you need to get Twilight Zone the Movie. It is more difficult to get than some of the other Goldsmith and it is great. This the #1 to me behind Star Trek the Motion Picture.

KM is correct the Poltergeist cd is a must as well. And if you can find Capricorn One get it too. The Omen series is great, but it has perhaps the most evil track ever recorded for film. Planet of the Apes is interesting but not my favorite, but several here like it alot. The Blue Max is absolutely great. Alien is great. Star Trek Final Conflict is very good too. Under Fire is terrific too.

Harry, you run into the same problem with Jerry Goldsmith as you do with John Williams, and Lays potato chips you can do with just one.

Joe.

I've often felt "Poltergeist" was, while quintessentially Goldsmith, very close musically to the Williams of that time period ... the one who wrote "E.T.", "Close Encounters", and "Raiders." If he'd been available, Williams WOULD have written the score for "Poltergeist," but Goldsmith's score is just so utterly PERFECT that I have a hard time imagining Williams trumping it. It's a violent, beautiful, dark, spiritual masterpiece, on par with anything Williams wrote in equivocal genres. Get the complete edition just as soon as you can find it.

You know, HP, there's a wonderful website called Deconstructing Goldsmith where you can hear sound clips from just about every score he's done, including a peachy one-minute clip from "Poltergeist". Take a listen and go with what you like. Once a Goldsmith theme is stuck in your head, it's stuck for good! 8O (Just don't put too much heed in the webmasters' comments ... I majorly disagree with them on a number of points. :| )

They have a great "Twilight Zone" selection too.

It took 20 f*cking years before they FINALLY released Poltergeist on C.D.(Expanded)Even the old LP was totally unfindable.

K.M.

Would you believe it, "Air Force One" is one of the minority of Goldsmith scores I DON'T have! :| I do have the theme, though. It's not one of his best, but it's certainly highly enjoyable.

I like that score but the film leaves me cold. It had the worst ending. Right out of Airport 1975. If they had Harrison Ford's character land the plane when he shouldn't have been able it would have been more heroic. And it would have avoided one of the worst cgi effects ever(that phoney looking plane crash). Still its a good score.

but Harry I cannot stress enough the Twilight Zone the Movie soundtrack. The Overture is one of Jerry's finest contributions to film. There are other versions of the Overture on other cd's, but none of them are the same. The Gremlin scores are fine too.

And get something with Jerry's tv themes. He has done some terrific stuff for television. His Waltons Theme and his Barnaby Jones themes are great.

I'm not sure ... Goldsmith and Williams are both very unique when it comes to action-writing. I can listen to any given action cue and tell you immediately whether it's Goldsmith or Williams. Are you looking for action cues built around a theme? Built around a driving rhythm? Ordered chaos? Both composers employ all three without losing a distinctive sound. Most Goldsmith action cues I can think of are too "like Goldsmith" to call "like Williams." Maybe if you gave me a specific Williams cue you like I could do better ...

Well shoot Potter. It's that apples and oranges thing again. I can't really think of any Goldsmith that sounds like Williams. I can't think of any Williams that sounds like Goldsmith. I can think of Horner that sounds like both though!

My favorite Goldsmith score is Alien, but that's definetely not for everyone. It's so different from any other score out there, plus it's something only Goldsmith could write. Very DARK and very VISCERAL. The release is out of print, and only the complete score does it true justice so you're kind of stuck unless you find a boot or rip it off the DVD.

Total Recall is almost wall to wall action music in one form or another. Great score for synth and melody. 75 mins of adrenaline is tough to get into, so take it in gradually. Get the Deluxe Edition if you're interested.

Patton is damn fine too. It's a very quiet one until you get to the marches. The Quiet parts are really spiritual, somber, and reflective. The marches are just plain rousing! I like the rerecording paired with 15mins of Tora!Tora!Tora!, although the volume on the CD is really low.

Yep, Final Conflict has become a fave of mine recently. The score has granduer and evil at the same time. When you put Jerry and a chorus together, usually something exciting happens. You can't beat that!

I'd mention Star Trek TMP, but it's already on your list. Love that Blaster Beam!

Sorry for not recommending one! A pure Williams fan might not want to jump right into a score like Alien, so besides ST:TMP I'd recommend Patton.

Ah ... there are so many ways to define "action pieces." Well, "The Mummy" certainly has some great ones. I'm listening to "Secret of N.I.M.H." right now. But the coup-de-gracie has to be "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet" from TZ: The Movie. Intensity cranked up a notch! "Total Recall" and "Planet of the Apes" have many. "First Knight" has some killer action sequences, but many don't appear on the soundtrack... I'm sure others will come up with many more.

Oh ... I almost forgot "The Hunt" from "The Final Conflict!" Sheer genius!

You all have been very helpful to me. If you have further suggestions, please give them to me!

As it stands right now, here's my list of soundtracks to acquire:

The Mummy

Air Force One

Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Patton

Poltergeist

Anything else that I'm missing that should definitely be on the list?

~Harry

Here are the 3 you MUST get;

1- Poltergeist

2- Final Conflict (Deluxe Edition)

3- First Knight (get the expanded/complete version!!)

There are many more, but these are scores that pulled me into his work.

Jamesyboy -awaiting his copy of The Blue Max..anyday now

You are on track for a nice little collection.

Harry, if you own a dvd, try to find the original release of the Mummy, not the special edition, but the original. You may find it in the bargain bins. It contains and isolated score. The newer edition dropped that feature.

Rudy is a very intimate score, with a gorgeous main theme. I love it...it's just so short (approx. 30 mins) It's worth getting...but not till later :)

Jamesyboy - who needs to get The Secret of NIMH..somebody help me!

Anything else that I'm missing that should definitely be on the list?

Um ... yeah, about three dozen things, actually! LOL

Start small or you'll go broke real fast. Get back to us after you've had time to digest the scores you already intend to buy. Tell us what you liked most and we'll be able to advise you more accurately.

If I had to add one score to your list, it would be "The Final Conflict." If I had to add a second, it would be "The Secret of N.I.M.H." A third, "Alien." If I had to REMOVE a score from your list, it would be "Air Force One," but you're already set on that. Did I mention "Medicine Man?" :)

I should also note that the scores you've listed so far (and the ones we've recommended, largely) are, for the most part, huge, sweeping works. There's a more sophisticated, intimate side that you have yet to be exposed to. "Islands in the Stream." "Papillon." And then there's Goldsmith the intellectual: "The Illustrated Man," "Logan's Run" ... and Crazy Uncle Goldsmith of "Gremlins" and "Link" fame ... but first things first. We'll stick to basics. :)

Rudy is a heartwarming piece of work. It's not on my top-ten list, but I'd consider it "essential" for a true Goldsmith fan. The great theme alone is worth the purchase.

Due to popular demand, I will add Final Conflict to my list.

As for Rudy, I listened to a clip of the main title, and I had no idea it went to that film! I've heard that piece countless times and have even watched the movie, but never knew that's where it came from.

~Harry

Be sure to get the DELUXE edition of "The Final Conflict!" You will NOT be disappointed! :)

(Man, I'm actually really excited to see someone discovering Goldsmith for the first time! It's like looking up and suddenly discovering the sky!)

Harry, I have never heard the score to Hollow Man outside the film, but at other sites, this seems to be a popular score for Jerry. You might give it a listen, you never know what might strike your fancy.

The Deluxe Edition has newly restored music and has been digitally remastered...and sounds FANTASTIC! It's in print on the Varese Sarabande label. It also has extenive liner notes.

Jamesyboy - who also discovered Goldsmith late...

to me that one is pretty derivative. Nothing special, Jerry painting the numbers. But that is better than some composers at their best.

Executive Decision is OK..not one of his greatest I just recently got the Expanded 2CD promo (it's a little over 85mns)..and it's a better listen. It's kinda like a warm up score to AFO..but not as frantic. Not as much action music for ED as you would think.

Probably be safe to pass, or get used for a couple of bucks.

Jamesyboy - who is actually posting!!!!! :)

Ok, here's my list now:

Air Force One

Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Patton

Poltergeist

The Final Conflict (Deluxe Edition)

The waiting list:

The Secret of N.I.M.H.

Alien

The maybe list:

Executive Decision

Rudy

How obtainable is the "expanded" verision of Gremlins?

~Harry

Again, thanks to everyone for all your help! You all are helping me become a more rounded listener!

~Harry, who didn't anticipate on staying up this long and was wanted to go to bed a while ago but never made it there :)

I cannot believe no one has mentioned the MOTHER of all action scores!?

Rambo: First Blood- Part II

Stefancos- who considers that Goldsmith's best

PS, also get Masada, Rambo 3, First Blood, Basic Instinct, First Knight, Star Trek: Insurrection and Star Trek: The Motion Picture. (although you will have to look hard to find MY boot in stores) :)

Stefancos is right,he de-hissed the current circulating STTMP boot and put them in film order and used the sony c.d. for the already released material.And the alternate tracks are facinating to listen to.

K.m.

I now have the DVD too, so i'm gonna see if it's possible to extact to short "Captains Log" cues.

Stefancos- who created a tailor made version of the Star Trek 1 boot according to King Mark's specific instructions. (he's royalty, he deserves it :) )

I now have the DVD too, so i'm gonna see if it's possible to extact to short "Captains Log" cues.

It is. Remember I sent you the wav and mp3's I made of that? :)

And if I remember correctly, your boot was slightly out of order, swapping the order of "Thruster Suit" and "Spock Walk". They should actually be one complete track, which is what I did for my latest version.

Harry, as for recommendations, I'd get:

B000053GUJ.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

and

B000008LA0.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Neil

I've often felt "Poltergeist" was, while quintessentially Goldsmith, very close musically to the Williams of that time period. It's a violent, beautiful, dark, spiritual masterpiece, on par with anything Williams wrote in equivocal genres. Get the complete edition just as soon as you can find it.

I agree. I was discussing this with Justin yesterday on MSN. I was saying i really adore the era of Williams and Goldsmith both around the years 76-82ish. I just love the sound that sprung forth for sci fi / metaphysical movies of that time. Thats why Close Encounters and E.T are my favourite Williams scores, and why i adore Goldsmith's ST motion picture, Poltergeist, Alien, and Outland scores. That particualr style Goldsmith uses in tracks such as Rebirth (poltergeist) and The Cloud (ST motion picture) and The Meld (ST) is the style of Goldsmith i adore the most i think. So lush and mystical. While we're on the subject, i dont have many of Goldsmith scores yet, so if i like this style the most, which scores would people recommend of Goldmiths of where he is using that particular wonderful style?

Well, I think that "The 13th Warrior" is a very great score, as it features so many different elements and ideas.

Other recommendations are "King Solomon`s Mines" and "Legend".

There are certainly many more great scores by the composer, but that`s a few ones that I really enjoy.

:idea:

I have no memory of you sending me those Captains log cues.

:) You were the first person I sent them to. :)

Neil

But because of my lack of a soundcard i forgot about them, and deleted them.

Stefancos- it's all starting to come back to him. :oops: