Anne-Sophie Mutter to premiere new Virtuosi JW arrangements

rpvee

The Theme from "The Long Goodbye" was already recorded on the 2022 album "Williams: Violin Concerto No. 2 & Selected Film Themes", so we are talking about a new arrangement for a small ensemble?

21 minutes ago, Bespin said:

The Theme from "The Long Goodbye" was already recorded on the 2022 album "Williams: Violin Concerto No. 2 & Selected Film Themes", so we are talking about a new arrangement for a small ensemble?

Yes, a new arrangement for her small ensemble of young musicians.

Nothing in that quote specifically indicates that Williams made the arrangements, though, right?

But then again, one of the originals was William Ross, so who knows! :lick:

10 minutes ago, rpvee said:

They also just interviewed her, and she mentioned Williams continuing to rewrite his themes for violin!

Fantastic news! I had been hoping for more - hopefully another CD. I'd been thinking about starting a thread to ask what everyone wanted next from Williams/Mutter, but I'm too lazy.

11 hours ago, pete said:

Fantastic news! I had been hoping for more - hopefully another CD. I'd been thinking about starting a thread to ask what everyone wanted next from Williams/Mutter, but I'm too lazy.

It's the thought that matters. 

6 minutes ago, igger6 said:

LoveThemeFromTheTerminalForViolinAndOrchestraLoveThemeFromTheTerminalForViolinAndOrchestraLoveThemeFromTheTerminalForViolinAndOrchestraLoveThemeFromTheTerminalForViolinAndOrchestraLoveThemeFromTheTerminalForViolinAndOrchestraLoveThemeFromTheTerminalForViolinAndOrchestraLoveThemeFromTheTerminalForViolinAndOrchestraLoveThemeFromTheTerminalForViolinAndOrchestraLoveThemeFromTheTerminalForViolinAndOrchestraLoveThemeFromTheTerminalForViolinAndOrchestraLoveThemeFromTheTerminalForViolinAndOrchestraLoveThemeFromTheTerminalForViolinAndOrchestraLoveThemeFromTheTerminalForViolinAndOrchestraLoveThemeFromTheTerminalForViolinAndOrchestraLoveThemeFromTheTerminalForViolinAndOrchestraLoveThemeFromTheTerminalForViolinAndOrchestraLoveThemeFromTheTerminalForViolinAndOrchestraLoveThemeFromTheTerminalForViolinAndOrchestraLoveThemeFromTheTerminalForViolinAndOrchestraLoveThemeFromTheTerminalForViolinAndOrchestraLoveThemeFromTheTerminalForViolinAndOrchestraLoveThemeFromTheTerminalForViolinAndOrchestraLoveThemeFromTheTerminalForViolinAndOrchestraLoveThemeFromTheTerminalForViolinAndOrchestra

Vicktor's Tale it is.  

22 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

Ah yes, Vivaldi's famous Hedwig's Theme.

The dude was ahead of his time.  Plus, we can now better understand this scene:

On 04/02/2023 at 3:29 AM, rpvee said:

Just tuned into WQXR to hear what turned out to be the ending applause of Anne-Sophie’s Carnegie Hall concert with the Virtuosi! Couldn’t make it tonight and didn’t know it was being broadcast. I imagine it’ll be available for streaming later and we’ll all get to hear these new arrangements. The commentators said she did a lot of gushing about Williams.

They also just interviewed her, and she mentioned Williams continuing to rewrite his themes for violin!

Amazing news, if true! I can think of dozens of themes that could be adapted. 

Karol

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/1/2023 at 6:00 PM, igger6 said:

Nothing in that quote specifically indicates that Williams made the arrangements, though, right?

No, not in that quotation, but...

On 8/2/2023 at 4:16 AM, thx99 said:

https://www.wqxr.org/story/anne-sophie-mutter-and-mutter-virtuosi

Jump to 2:05:48 and 2:19:40 for Mutter's introductions of the Williams' selections.

ASM says in her audio introduction to The Long Goodbye that JW did in fact update the arrangement for string orchestra. She did not indicate that on Cinderella Liberty, but I think we can guess that he did that too. Both sounded great and felt totally consistent with the bit of Vivaldi that was the 2nd encore between the two JW pieces.

I look forward to listening to the whole concert tomorrow (although no other JW parts to it).

• 7 months later...

Well, because I collect such things, I have pre-ordered the LP and CD with the autographs. Ridiculous shipping costs that DG Shop charges, but I guess that is something those in the EU/UK and other places feel all the time ordering from the US sites.

Regarding the content of the album, most of it on DGState+ as it is from a concert this past June. 

https://www.stage-plus.com/video/vod_concert_APNM8GRFDPHMASJKBSPJEE8

(The concert and album differ on a Vivaldi piece between the main concert video and the "encores" listed in the album tracks. But the Williams' pieces are both there.)

(FYI Subscription required with a 7 day trial available.)

53 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

Cute translation error:

"But the repertoire also reflects Mother's love of contemporary works: The Virtuosi perform André Previn's Nonet dedicated to Anne-Sophie Mutter."

For Across the Stars, I remember reading: Mother is very excited about the upcoming album.

1 hour ago, lairdo said:

Regarding the content of the album, most of it on DGState+ as it is from a concert this past April. 

https://www.stage-plus.com/video/vod_concert_APNM8GRFDPHMASJKBSPJEE8

(The concert and album differ on a Vivaldi piece between the main concert video and the "encores" listed in the album tracks. But the Williams' pieces are both there.)

(FYI Subscription required with a 7 day trial available.)

I watched the concert live (it was available on the Arte Musique site for a while too) and the Vivaldi correct position is in between the two Williams.

Oh, the Schindler's List encore has been released today! I see it on Tidal and Qobuz and assume it is on Apple Music, Google Play, Amazon Music, Spotify etc. The album shows as pre-release, and this last track is available to stream now.

image.png

1 hour ago, Miguel Andrade said:

I watched the concert live (it was available on the Arte Musique site for a while too) and the Vivaldi correct position is in between the two Williams.

Interesting that they were swapped for the album. Good to know the concert video is what was done live.

Also, DG's press release has incorrectly listed the key of Vivaldi 315. It is in G minor (as is correctly shown on the streaming platforms). The press release shows G major. Glad they did not mess up the Williams track names!

Untitled 2.jpg

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

For Across the Stars, I remember reading: Mother is very excited about the upcoming album.

I asked her and she is, but I’m her son, so…

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

You must have caught her at a good time because she was pretty indifferent when I asked her.

You asked my Mother? 

9 hours ago, Miguel Andrade said:
10 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

By Williams?

Yes 

And apparently performed at the Musikverein:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CyDcbqbulHt/?hl=en

43 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

"Theme From Schindler's List" can go screw itself, but I'm very interested in hearing how "Nice To Be Around" is interpreted.

There's a wonderful harpsichord part on it.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

And apparently performed at the Musikverein:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CyDcbqbulHt/?hl=en

Indeed. They have been doing these three encores during all the tour. 

On 6/10/2023 at 2:38 PM, BB-8 said:

”But the repertoire also reflects Mother's love of contemporary works: The Virtuosi perform André Previn's Nonet dedicated to Anne-Sophie Mutter."

Very Alien.

Good to see that Mutter and DG is including John’s work in collections such as this.

Tempted to buy, but I have the two JW-dedicated releases signed so I’ll pass on this one.

I’d be totally fine with it if from now on Williams would just be writing arrangements of his film themes for solo instruments and orchestra and recording them for DG albums. 

• 4 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, JW collector said:

Received it today :love2:.

Really like the arrangement of "nice to be around ".  ( lovely harpsichord in it ).  ....  Schindler's List  also sounds good... even it's a small group of talented players.

Good sound quality..... nice booklet to.

ASM signature written with a sort of silver pen.

mutterJW.jpg

Nice, got mine last week.

The writing somehow looks as if the pigments and the solvent have separated. Why doesn't DG provide suitable pens beforehand?

38 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

The writing somehow looks as if the pigments and the solvent have separated. Why doesn't DG provide suitable pens beforehand?

Williams's autographs are even worse.  He insists on using just a pencil.  

23 hours ago, BB-8 said:

Why are you still expecting logic from DG? I mean it's nice, but...