John Williams 2023 Tanglewood concerts

Falstaft

Here's the info so people don't have to click open 5 links

Saturday August 5, 2023, 8:00pm EDT - John Williams’ Film Night

John Williams and David Newman, conductors
BU Tanglewood Institute Chorus

A cherished Tanglewood tradition, John Williams’ Film Night returns with the Boston Pops, along with Maestros Williams and Newman sharing the podium for a memorable program of film clips and music from the silver screen. It’s a special evening of movie magic that you won’t want to miss.

Tuesday August 8, 2023, 2:00pm EDT - Tanglewood On Parade

Boston Symphony Orchestra
Boston Pops Orchestra
Tanglewood Music Center Orchestra
Keith Lockhart, Andris Nelsons, and John Williams, conductors

RAVEL Boléro
Arturs MASKATS Tango
RIMSKY-KORSAKOV Capriccio espagnole
John WILLIAMS Selections from Far and Away, Born on the Fourth of July, and Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
TCHAIKOVSKY 1812 Overture

Fireworks to follow the concert

Friday August 11, 2023, 8:00pm EDT - Andris Nelsons conducts Williams, Strauss, and Ravel featuring Anne-Sophie Mutter, violin

Andris Nelsons, conductor
Anne-Sophie Mutter, violin

John WILLIAMS Violin Concerto No. 2
STRAUSS Death and Transfiguration
RAVEL La Valse

Saturday August 26, 2023, 8:00pm EDT - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone™ in Concert

Boston Pops Esplanade Orchestra
Keith Lockhart, conductor

Relive the film that started it all. Watch the wand choose the wizard, a troll run amok and magic mirrors in high-definition while the Boston Pops Esplanade Orchestra performs John Williams’ iconic score. Don’t miss this once-in-a-lifetime event as Harry, Ron, Hermione and all your favorite characters return to the screen and enchant the world all over again.

Sunday August 27, 2023, 2:30pm EDT - Star Wars: The Story in Music

Boston Pops Esplanade Orchestra
Keith Lockhart, conductor

John WILLIAMS Star Wars: The Story in Music

Join Keith Lockhart and the Boston Pops as they perform the most extraordinary music from all nine Star Wars movies - tracing the sprawling saga, gripping adventure, and unforgettable characters. This is a must for all Star Wars fans and film music aficionados.

Potter/Star Wars concerts back to back would make a nice weekend of Williams music. Music from "All nine" films means I can finally hear something from TLJ and TROS live! And hearing live prequel music would also be a treat.

What a wonderful lineup! Glad the Film Night tradition is continuing and back to normal. The birthday tribute last year was cute, but I definitely prefer the Maestro on the podium verses in the audience! haha

I do wonder why he isn’t doing the May/June Boston concerts anymore. It’s been years now since the last one, since even before the pandemic. The last time he conducted in Boston, it was those few random October 2021 concerts, and that’s just because they were recording Violin 2. I miss those late spring/early summer Film Nights in Symphony Hall itself. :(

I'd love to attend Film Night and Sorcerer's Stone!

I dunno how much I'd enjoy On Parade

Star Wars: The Story in Music intrigues me, is this new, or is this the old tour w/ sequel stuff added to the end?

Definitely not attending Nelsons show w/ Violin 2 again

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Star Wars: The Story in Music intrigues me, is this new, or is this the old tour w/ sequel stuff added to the end?

Even if it's the same selections (and I'm sure many will be the same) it'll be great to hear them in this setting that will make for more serious listening, vs in an arena.

I had tickets for this show previously, but it was canceled due to covid. I don't THINK it got rescheduled at all until now, unless I'm mistaken.

5 minutes ago, rpvee said:

I do wonder why he isn’t doing the May/June Boston concerts anymore.

I really hope he does something in Boston this year... but they haven't announced their upcoming season yet. I wish they would announce it at the same time as Tanglewood! It would help with planning...

I was thinking of going to the Hollywood Bowl, but I might do this instead since I've never been. It'd be cool if they sold JW themed merch too, like those blue hats they did last year.

• 1 month later...

Got tickets for the Lawn since that was all that was left! Now I see they rent out chairs/cushions, can you do that beforehand or only night of the event? And also since I'll be coming from Florida, you can Uber/Lyft there right?

23 hours ago, Andy said:

I’m going to Film Night!  My wife and I will be in the Koussevitsky Music Shed section 20. I don’t know if those are good seats but I’m excited!

You'll be in the back with the rest of us!

The prelude thing may be an unrelated student performance. But where do you even see that??

• 2 weeks later...

I sent an email today asking if they send out paper tickets and they do! I’m hoping it’s like the long ticket stubs, because I collect those for movies and I’d love to add this to my collection.

3045FF5C-6DC3-45A8-B0DF-3BC8358E6581.jpeg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow, Anakin’s Theme?? Wonder how that got decided on. Don’t know when Williams last conducted that one, I’ve sure never seen him do it. How exciting!! And cool to see Asteroid Field return, too.

Was kinda hoping for one or two pieces from Hook, but these are lovely choices! For people who've been here before, I'm allowed to bring in a backpack right? I'll need to bring me a folding chair and I'm trying to see if Amazon has any small-ish ones that I can fit into a backpack since I'm flying to Boston for this concert.

On 26/06/2023 at 3:53 PM, Brando said:

Was kinda hoping for one or two pieces from Hook, but these are lovely choices! For people who've been here before, I'm allowed to bring in a backpack right? I'll need to bring me a folding chair and I'm trying to see if Amazon has any small-ish ones that I can fit into a backpack since I'm flying to Boston for this concert.

You can bring a bag, you can bring all kinds of stuff, it's loosey goosey. I think it would be hard to fit a chair in your backpack though... might as well just rent one:

https://www.bso.org/tanglewood/visit/when-youre-here/experiences-amenities

On 27/06/2023 at 10:43 PM, Smeltington said:

You can bring a bag, you can bring all kinds of stuff, it's loosey goosey. I think it would be hard to fit a chair in your backpack though... might as well just rent one:

https://www.bso.org/tanglewood/visit/when-youre-here/experiences-amenities

I haven't been on since Tuesday, but thank you for posting that! I had seen you could rent chairs/cushions once but I couldn't find where on the website it had mentioned that. And I had already started looking on Amazon for a really short one that folds in a lot, but this is better!

• 2 weeks later...

Unlikely question - is anyone traveling to this from Boston, or even NYC? I’m coming from NYC, and getting to Tanglewood during the day is fine, but I’m trying to figure out what to do after the concert without a car (or even license lol). Hotels in the area are ridiculously expensive. If I could carpool with someone after, I’d happily chip in for gas!

On 11/07/2023 at 4:06 PM, rpvee said:

Unlikely question - is anyone travelling to this from Boston, or even NYC? I’m coming from NYC, and getting to Tanglewood during the day is fine, but I’m trying to figure out what to do after the concert without a car (or even license lol). Hotels in the area are ridiculously expensive. If I could carpool with someone after, I’d happily chip in for gas!

I'm still waiting on tickets becoming available as shed tickets are currently sold out, but usually I go to Albany where lodging is much cheaper after the show. There'd be Greyhound service to NYC from there, though waiting for the bus in that area at at night might be a little sketchy.

• 2 weeks later...

I was lucky to get one in Section 5 earlier this week.

How many of us are going in total? Always up for a pre-concert beer with fellow JWFans!

I hope I can go but nothing definitive yet. 

I assume you're talking about Film Night? 

Hi, this is my first post! Nice to meet you all!

I'm beyond excited to be going to Film Night and to see Williams in person for the first time. It's been a bucket list item of mine for many years. 'The Asteroid Field' has always been a favorite, so I was thrilled to see it included in the set list.

I'm also wondering about transportation after the concert, since I understand that it can be pretty chaotic with all the people leaving and it might be hard getting a taxi... I wonder if a shuttle bus service exists that brings concertgoers back into town. I'll have to inquire...

Per Google, it's a pretty straightforward 1.6 mile/34 minute walk to the centre of town. I just might do that...

The only problem with walking after is that while there is a sidewalk, I don’t recall any streetlights, so you’re essentially walking in the dark besides the cars passing by on the street.