Do you skip the Fox Fanfare when you start listening to the Star Wars scores?

Edmilson

Fox Fanfare: skippable or not?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Do you skip the Fox fanfare when listening to SW albums/bootlegs?

• Of course I do. The fanfare wasn't even composed by JW! I prefer initiating my SW listening sessions with the Main Title.
    • Of course I don't. The fanfare is essential to the overall Star Wars listening experience.
    • Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, depends of my humor.

17 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Are you comparing apples to apples? The fanfare on Star Wars is different from what was in The Anthology. Which I presume is the Empire recording?

How does the SE of Empire stack up?

These are both the 1980 Empire recording, from the Empire set for both

3 hours ago, enderdrag64 said:

Perhaps this is possible. The waveforms don't exactly line up, but then again virtually none of the waveforms between the Anthology and the Special Edition line up (due to being different scans transfers with different mastering, presumably). When I was comparing them back and forth I don't remember hearing any performance differences but I definitely could have missed something. 

Although a speed difference in the transfers would be completely normal, it seems like in some cases here it's both too fast and too slow at different times, and I'm not hearing any phasing. Could this be that they're actually two completely different recordings?

2 hours ago, Brando said:

I listen to the Tri-Star logo before I listen to Hook, does that answer your question? Also the Universal logo before The Lost World.

A lot of logo music works well certainly - I have the New Line Cinema logo at the start of the Fellowship CR. Also the United Artists logo at the start of one of my older TND playlists

I think the Fox logo works well before SW and I reckon that if Williams recorded them and the elements are available, they should be on an eventual set.

3 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Although a speed difference in the transfers would be completely normal, it seems like in some cases here it's both too fast and too slow at different times, and I'm not hearing any phasing. Could this be that they're actually two completely different recordings?

It's absolutely possible, sure

1 hour ago, pete said:

so when I hear the fanfare, I expect Star Wars to follow. I remember when I did see movies other than Star Wars that had the fanfare, it just felt wrong that Star Wars didn't follow it

So I'm not alone!

Sometimes. Although I'm finding that I can probably refine that answer to "If I'm in the mood to skip Fox then I'm usually in the mood to listen to the original LPs."

To be honest, the only score I program the Fox Fanfare before is this one…

(still not sure what I like about it but I seem to play it fairly often)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Lukas Kendall

...but John Williams actually did arrange and record this version of the classic Alfred Newman "20th Century Fox Fanfare with CinemaScope Extension"—for the 1964 Arabian themed farce John Goldfarb, Please Come Home! (The studio said, "Absolutely not!")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFfEf-ClIbE

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Between the Williams recordings, the Aliens 3 and Ottman's X-Men version of the fanfare... Is the Fox Fanfare the one with most variations? I guess Disney would be a close contender.

Answering the question, I usually leave the selection of what I listen to in the capable hands of my player's shuffle, since I have the Anthology mixed in there, it pops up from time to time with a very awkward feel, don't recommend.

6 hours ago, Gabriel Bezerra said:

Between the Williams recordings, the Aliens 3 and Ottman's X-Men version of the fanfare... Is the Fox Fanfare the one with most variations? I guess Disney would be a close contender.

Depends on what you count as a variation. The Warner Bros fanfare was traditionally used as the beginning of the score's opening cue, segueing directly into the score itself.